- Text Size +
“Welcome to wherever you are.Welcome you’ve got to believe that right here right now, you’re exactly where you’re suppose to be...”

I knew that I needed to spend sometime studying and doing homework that day. I really and truly didn’t want to but I had to be responsible. Weekends were wonderful because I didn’t have to work and I had no classes but they were still always busy. Then there was the Nick issue. I really didn’t want to waste time doing homework all day when I could spend time with him. I suppose I would just tell him my dilemma and hope that he understood.

I walked out of my room and over to the couch sitting beside him.

“Hey, feel better?”

“Much. You?”

“Great.” This conversation seemed to be a little strained.

“ I have to go for a bit. I’m sorry I need to change and do some work. I need my laptop. I really don’t wanna go but I have to.” That made everything easier.

“That’s okay, really. I have homework and studying to do.”

“Well, that works out well. How’s this? I’ll go get changed, grab my things and come back up and we can study and work together. Then tonight, we’ll go to a movie.” He always had the best ideas. I was starting to learn that and wasn’t so sure how I felt about it. It always worked to my advantage though, so it couldn’t be too bad.

“That sounds awesome, I can only think of one thing better. We rent movies, I make dinner, popcorn. Cuddle on the couch. Simple relaxing night. How’s that?”

“You’ve got it. That sounds perfect. I’ll be back as quick as I can.” With that he stood up and kissed me soundly on the lips. I could really get used to that but shouldn’t. I needed to stop thinking so negatively. It didn’t matter what would happen, that was inevitable. I needed to focus on now. That’s what I intended to do.

“Okay, I’ll see you soon.” I smiled and sighed as he left.

I figured that my friends would be dying to hear from me, so I called and conferenced them both. No sense in having the same conversation twice.

“Okay, explain.”

“Thanks Mardi, how are you? Well, I hope. Weekend going well? That’s fantastic.”

“Don’t fuck around. Just explain.” I knew that there was no hope for me now.

“ Okay, I met a guy. He’s sweet, he’s funny and I really like him.”

“We knew it. Finally, thank God. We have been waiting for this to happen. She is human.” I loved my friends, why? No idea. I did though.

“What’s his name? What’s he look like? We need more details than that. Come on...”

“His name is Nick. He’s tall, blonde and gorgeous. He has these deep blue eyes, I don’t even know how to describe them. Only problem is, he doesn’t live here. He lives in L.A. He’s here on vacation and work.” I didn’t really want to tell them about the whole famous thing. That would make everything way more complicated than it needed to be.

“Well, I’m glad he’s gorgeous, but that situation kind of sucks.” Mardi, always obvious.

“ It does, but, whatever. I like him, we’re hanging out. It’s nice. Not much else I can do.”

“Did you sleep with him?” Ainsley always wanted to know about sex. Mardi was always boisterous, and Ainsley always wanted to know about sex.

“Ainsley!”

“Well, I’m just asking. Jeez.”

“Okay, kinda, really maybe.”

“You did! Was it good?”

“It was amazing. And it was more then once.” I knew that would indulge her.

“Ugh, you’re so lucky. I’ve always wanted a short romantic affair...” Mardi and I both just laughed at her. It was nice knowing that my friends knew something. Girls like to talk, what can I say? We chatted for a few more minutes before saying goodbye. I would see them both on Monday anyways. I knew I would get interrogated more.

After getting off the phone I grabbed my school stuff and settled in on my couch. I was impatient for Nick to return but I wanted to get as much done as possible. I knew I would be distracted, it would be impossible not to be.

After what seemed like an eternity the buzzer rang and I let Nick up. He must have gotten lucky the night before and slipped in behind someone. I neglected to even be curious about that yesterday. I knew I had been nervous, but jeez.

He knocked lightly on my door and I yelled for him to come in. He had a duffle bag and laptop bag with him. I should have been put out by him bringing so much, it did seem a bit presumptuous but I think we both knew that I didn’t want him going anywhere anyways. He seemed to dash across the room before I even had the chance to move my stuff and stand up. He was standing directly over me, just staring at me.

“I forgot something today.” His eyes looked directly into mine and he smiled.

“What’s that?” I was curious. I couldn’t help it.

“I forgot to tell you that you were beautiful.” And my heart melted, my breath caught and all I could do was sigh.

“Nick Carter, that’s a line if I have ever heard one. Not that I don’t like it, but come on.” I laughed and smiled.

“Okay, busted, it might be line. I won’t lie. It is true though. I haven’t told you that you are beautiful and I do think you are. So line or not, still beautiful.”

“You’re a suck up but I like it.” I tried to give him a mean look but could really only burst out laughing. He laughed too and then leaned down to kiss me. It was a sweet and gentle kiss but it ignited a small fire just the same.

“Okay. Let’s work. Then play.” I kinda giggled at that after I said it, but then went to looking at the papers in front of me.

Nick went to work on his laptop and I could see him out of the corner of my eye concentrating with his tongue stuck out. I twisted just gently so I could reach and quick as I could moved and bit his tongue.

“Hey! What the fuck?” I just laughed.

“Sorry, I had to.”

“That calls for payback.” With that he put his laptop on the end table, tossed my books on the couch and pulled me to the floor, pinning me under him. He kissed my forehead, my cheeks and my nose and then just looked at me. He smiled and it seemed like his eyes were searching for something. I was getting a little self conscious.

“Whatcha lookin at?” Obviously the answer was me, or the fibers on my throw rug. Likely me.

“You.”

“Well, I guessed that. Why?” I was really kinda nervous now.

“I want to remember you this way. Smiling and beautiful.”

“Oh, you’re leaving, aren’t you?” My heart sank at the thought of saying goodbye so soon. I knew that was going to happen but he had another week and the two days extra. If there was a God, he wouldn’t make him go yet.

“No baby, not yet. I will have to eventually. When I do, I want to remember everything about you. Where your freckles are, how your mouth creases when you smile, how brown your eyes are. I need to remember everything. I need to remember you.” I tried not to cry, I really did. The tears spilled over my cheeks and I reached my arms out to him. I needed his touch.

When I could breathe again and the tears stopped, I looked at him. Never had I seen such sincerity.

“I need to remember you too. God, I’m such a sap. I’m sorry, I cried like a baby. You just mean a lot to me, already.”

“I know baby girl. I can’t say this has happened to me before. Usually I have to sift through too much bullshit to bother with most girls. I never really let myself get attached because I know they don’t really want me. That’s why I hid my face and begged you not to freak out. I thought I saw hope in your eyes and knew somehow you’d accept me. I don’t know where this will go or what will happen, but I thank you for that. I get to be just me. Sitting on a couch, working, teasing, making love. It’s new. It’s all because of you.” I was crying again. No one should have to hide themselves out of fear, it wasn’t fair. Especially such a good person. He wasn’t what the media made him out to be, and I knew that before meeting him. Now, I know it more.

“Nick, I had no choice but to accept you, I like you. Not popstar you, just the guy in the fedora. No one knows what will happen, that’s okay. We have now, who needs any more. And hey, I’d given up on bothering to find someone too. Maybe it was fate, or luck. Doesn’t matter. We’re here, and you’re gonna kiss me and that’s what’s gonna matter.”

With that I pulled him down on me and kissed him passionately. I knew that hardships would follow but I knew that right then and right there on my floor, there was nowhere else I was supposed to be.