- Text Size +

Chapter 7

 

Veronica flipped the booklet over and started at the top of the page. Since she’d been home which had only been a couple of hours, she’d been filling out job applications. With each one she grew more and more determined to find a job that would make her happy.

Sighing heavily, she set her pen down, stretching her fingers a bit when her cell phone rang. Not bothering to look at the id, she flipped the phone open.

“Hello?”

“Baby?”

Her eyes widened, her heart dropping.

“Nick!”

“Hey you!”

“Nick hi!”

Nick chuckled, she sounded happy to hear from him, although it seemed like she was trying to hide it.

“What’s up baby? How are things?”

She could barely catch her breath, “Things are alright, just getting back into the swing of things.”

“Well that’s good, I miss you though. I was hoping to hear from you yesterday, wanted to know that you got home safely.”

“Aww yeah I’m ok, I just wanted to ya know, give you time to breathe,” Veronica explained, blushing a bit.

“Sweetie that doesn’t matter, I can never seem to catch my breath when I’m around you anyway.”

She could feel her face burning, she stood quickly and made her way over to the couch, sitting.

“So what are you up to tonight?”

“Filling out job applications, trying desperately to get out of my current job. After being away for the week, coming back it’s like…I just can’t deal with it anymore. I’ve had enough you know?”

“I absolutely know what you mean, I’m so proud of you. I know how scary it is to start something new, but I’m confident you’ll find something fast,” Nick smiled, flopping back on his bed. Turning his head, he pushed his face into his pillow and swore he could catch a hint of her perfume that still lingered.

“It is, but I have to do it,” Veronica sighed.

“You’ll be fine baby, ya gotta think positive.”

“It’s hard, but I’m trying.”

“Well whenever you need a pick me up, call me baby and I’ll remind you how awesome you are,” Nick chuckled.

“Deal.”

“But hey, don’t let that be the only reason you call ok? Call so I can tell you how much I love and miss you ok? Call me often,” he said softly.

Veronica bit her lip, trying to keep herself from blurting out something that would embarrass them both.

“I will don’t worry, same goes for you too ya know.”

“Honey, you’ll be sick of me after a while.”

She shook her head, “Never.”

Nick closed his eyes, he hoped she’d never get sick of him. “Look Veronica, there’s something I wanted to discuss with you.”

She blinked, “Ok, what is it?”

“ Well today I had a radio interview, and you know they always ask the same questions. Anyway, they asked me Howie and AJ if we were seeing anyone. I didn’t really give any kind of confirmation because I hadn’t talked to you yet. What it comes down to is if you’re ready to go public about us? I wanted to make sure before anything was said that we both agreed that we were ready, that you were ready for it,” Nick explained.

“Oh wow…”

“Yeah, I know it’s a little scary. I mean, I’d never give your name out or anything, it’d just basically be a confirmation,” Nick rushed on. “Look I don’t have to say anything ok? I don’t mind, I mean, it’s not like I don’t wanna acknowledge us, but if it’ll be easier for you, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make you comfortable.”

“Thank you Nick, I appreciate that,” Veronica replied softly.

“It’s just…the moment we come out, everything is going to change. I won’t say your name, but that doesn’t mean it won’t come out, someone will find out some how and suddenly things that no one knew about you will surface,” Nick sighed. He hated this, he hated what it always did to his girlfriends. Some could handle it better than others and some just cracked under the constant scrutiny. He hoped Veronica was ready.

“I know Nick, trust me I do. It’s going to come out sooner or later, and it’ll just sound better coming from you anyway instead of some tabloid. It’s ok, I’m ready.”

He hesitated a moment, “Are you sure? If you need more time it’s fine. I mean, we only started going out a couple of days ago, if you need time Veronica, seriously it’s ok.”

She nodded even though he couldn’t see her, “I know, it’s ok. I’m ready Nick.”

He didn’t know what to say, part of him couldn’t help but feel she wasn’t ready but thought it was what she thought he wanted her to say.

“Alright then, if the question comes up again, I’ll confirm,” he said quietly.

“Sounds good.”

“Ok baby, I hate to do this but I gotta go, gonna try to get some rest.”

“Me too actually, thanks for calling Nick. You don’t know how good it was to hear your voice when I answered my phone,” Veronica whispered.

Nick groaned inwardly, yes he did.

“Believe me I do, I was going through withdrawals.”

Veronica laughed suddenly, “I’m sure you were.”

“You’re addicting ya know baby.”

“Mmmhmm. Get some sleep Carter.”

“I’ll try, it’s hard to sleep alone when you’ve had your girlfriend by your side for the last few days,” he said softly.

“Yeah, I know,” she heard herself admit.

“I’ll talk to ya soon Veronica, I love you.”

She swallowed hard, “I love you too Nick. Night.”

“Night.”

She flipped the phone closed and rested her head back, closing her eyes.

Everything was going to change.