- Text Size +

Chapter 3

 

She swirled the spoon around in the milk, staring at the little square as it grew soggier and soggier. She wouldn’t eat it now, she couldn’t and when her cereal turned soggy, it was her own fault though, she should be eating, but she didn’t have much of an appetite.

She had to stop this, it hadn’t even been a full day yet and she was already moping around. Sighing, Veronica set the bowl on the table in front of her, grabbing the remote and flipping through the stations. She slumped back on the couch, staring blankly at the screen, when her cell phone rang. Hurrying over to the table, she grabbed her phone, looking at the id quickly before flipping it open.

“Hello?”

“Hey girl!”

Veronica smiled, “Hey Laureen! How are you?”

“I’m doing alright, how bout you? Glad to be home?”

“Yeah, it’s always good to come home. I‘m glad you called though, I‘m lonely.”

“Aww, well I didn’t know if you’d wanna be bothered, I figured you wouldn’t answer the phone if you didn’t want to talk.”

“Of course I want to talk to you. I wish I could’ve hung out with you and Julie more while I was there.”

“Ha, I don’t think Nick would’ve allowed for that to happen,” Laureen laughed.

“Well you guys did come over and hang out and he was ok with it.”

“True, but he wasn’t going to blatantly come out and tell us not to come with you there.”

Veronica chuckled, “I guess not.”

“So, have you spoken to him yet?”

“Nah.”

“No? Really?”

“Yeah, I’m trying to play it cool ya know? Give him a chance to breathe, I don’t want to smother him.”

“Believe me, I don’t think that’d be a problem,” Laureen laughed.

“Why’s that?”

“Because, you’re probably the one person he’d want to smother him.”

“Nah, I don’t think so.”

“Trust me on this one Veronica, it’s true.”

She paused for a moment before blurting out, “Laureen, is it normal to miss someone after spending eight days straight with them?”

“Aww Veronica, it’s very normal.”

“I didn’t think it’d hurt this much, ugh.”

“Well sure, you guys just became a couple and you had to leave, it’s natural to miss him a lot Veronica.”

“I guess, I’ve been trying so hard to be mature and not clingy, but now that I’m here and he’s there…I just…”

“You just what?”

She bit her lip, wiping at her eyes suddenly, “I just wish I’d clung a little longer at the end.”