- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I've been hard at work on this chapter!  Not much longer now before this story comes to a close and I will begin my next re-write.  Enjoy!

"Did you let Kaiden organize this pantry?" Holly joked as she attempted to put groceries away in the cabinets.  Madi and Kaiden had been on their own for several weeks and were pretty much completely settled into their new place.  Many of their evenings had been spent with company, most often AJ or Holly, so they had to settle in fast.

When she didn't get a response, Holly turned towards Madi to see what was going on, "Madi?  Where did you go?"

Holly put down the groceries in her hands and went into the living room to find Madi listening to the answering machine.

"Hey gorgeous, I wanted to talk to you tonight.  Come on over around six.  And see if Holly will watch Kaiden for us?  Love you."

"Omigod."

"What?" Holly was grinning ear to ear, until she saw the look on Madi's face, "What's wrong?"

"He's going to break up with me!" Madi cried.

"Okay drama queen.  Chill out.  I doubt that's what he is doing," Holly tried to reassure her.  She knew what was going on, but it was another one of those ‘sworn to secrecy by threat of long and painful death' things.

"How do you know?  I mean, you heard him.  That didn't sound like a happy kind of thing.  What else could it be?"

"Madi, chill.  I'm sure it will all be fine."

"What if he's leaving?  Or he found another girl!"

"How about this...you sit here and analyze the tone of AJ's voice on an answering machine message, while you list all of the horrible possibilities that could be tonight...and I'm going to eat all of your food."

"But it just didn't sound good..."

"Yep, okay then, have fun, I'm going to pig out.  Find me when you've stopped freaking."


Madi eventually relaxed herself enough to realize that Holly knew more than she was letting on, "You're too calm not to know anything!"

"I know nothing."

"Yes you do!"

"I...no...I was just listening to the same message as you.  He didn't sound upset or mad or anything.  He sounded nervous if anything.  You should know that by now.  You two are inseparable after all.  Alexadison, Majay, whatever we decided on, attached at the lips!"

"Fine.  I'm not speaking to you until you tell me what's going on."

"Well that's not happening, so I guess you're not talking to me then."

"So you do know something?"

"I thought you weren't talking to me?"

"Oh don't try and change the subject.  What do you know?"

"I know that I'm not telling you anything, and you will just have to wait to find out what is going on."

"You know...I don't like you very much right now."

"Eh, such is life.  I suggest you go wash up before to you go out to AJ's.  I'll pick Kaiden up from your mom's."

Madi glared at Holly's retreating figure, her arms defiantly crossed.

"Oh, and don't try calling him to find out either.  He won't answer."

Madi, like a little kid mad that she wasn't getting her way, threw her arms up and stomped her foot.  Only to earn a laugh from Holly.

"We are not attached at the lips!"

"A little late on that comment, don't you think?" Holly grinned as she stepped through the door, "Go on now, get changed.  See you later!"

The door closed behind Holly, leaving Madi alone and frustrated.  She went into the kitchen to finish putting the groceries away, deciding whether or not she wanted to follow the instructions she had been given.

Eventually her curiosity got the better of her, and she went into her room to change and freshen up.


She pulled up to his house, and parked the car.  She was only a few minutes late, why was the house so dark?

"This better not be some kind of joke," Madi said quietly to herself.

She got out of the car and went up to the front door.  As she reached up to knock, she noticed a little note taped to the door:

Hey gorgeous, It's unlocked.  Come on in.

Madi studied the note for a second.  Deciding that she needed to know what was going on, Madi pushed the door open and stepped in.

The house was dimply lit with candles, soft music coming from one of the rooms.  There was a lily laying on the table in the foyer.  Madi immediately went over to the lily and picked it up, noticing a small piece of paper attached to the stem.  Another piece of paper was lying on the table:

There are 14 lilies in the house, each with a letter.  Find them each and unscramble the message.

Madi lifted the square of paper attached to the lily and read the letter "W".  Walking down the hall the found the next lily with an "o" attached.  Moving through the house she found thirteen of the fourteen lilies, and set them on the kitchen table.  Pulling the letter squares off of each of the lilies she began to attempt unscrambling the letters for her secret message.  She had been unable to locate the final lily, and figured she might be able to figure it out without it.

Madi laid the letters out in front of her:

L M W I Y R Y A O L U R

Madi spent several minutes moving the letters around, finally discovering the words "Will you marry" with an additional M.

AJ had been standing out of sight, watching Madi work through the puzzle, waiting for the right time to make his appearance.

"I think you're missing a letter," AJ said holding out the fourteenth lily.

Madi turned around, slightly startled at the sound of his voice, but smiled.  She took the last lily from him, reaching down the pull the letter off of the lily.  She had already figured out what was going on.

When she reached down to pull of the small square of paper she also felt something cold and hard.  Her eyes widened and she looked down to see the most beautiful ring hanging from the string with the last letter, the "e".

AJ got onto one knee in front of Madi, smiling shakily.  Madi hadn't said anything, so he was becoming more and more unsure.

"Madi, I love you.  I said it that night we had our picnic under the stars...I don't know what I'd do if I lost you.  You and Kaiden have brought so much to my life I didn't know I needed or was even missing.  I want to go to sleep next to you every night, and wake up next to you every morning.  I want to have breakfast every morning with you and Kaiden.  I want to spend my life making you happy, taking care of you both.  I want to be your husband and Kaiden's dad.  Will you let me do that?  Will you marry me Madison Joelle Grey?"

Madi was speechless.  Tears, of happiness and excitement, were threatening to escape.  All she could do was nod and smile.

AJ got up and pulled the ring from the string attaching it to the flower and took her hand.

"Say it for me.  I need to hear you say it," he whispered.

Madi nodded again, "Yes AJ.  Yes!  Yes!  I would love nothing more than to be your wife!"

Chapter End Notes:
If you'd like to see the ring I visualized for Madi and AJ's engagement, you can find it here: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/KellyMouse84/A%20New%20Life/MadisRing.jpg