- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the second to last chapter.  Stay tuned for the final chapter!

Madi and AJ's next task was telling people.  Since Holly obviously already knew, Madi decided to leave her for last.  She knew she would hear about that later, but since Holly tortured her, she thought it only fair to give some torture back.

The newly engaged couple chose first to tell Madi's parents.  AJ had gone to Madi's parents earlier in the day...

"Mr. and Mrs. Grey, I know that I haven't been seeing your daughter for a very long time, but I feel we have this special connection," AJ had begun.

Both parents nodded, Madi's mother smiling.  She had known this day was coming, and she was quite pleased that AJ had come to them first.

"Go on," Madi's father prompted.

"I wanted to come to you both first.  I would like to ask your daughter to marry me.  I wanted to have your permission and blessing before I did so."

Madi's mom squealed like a little girl, so happy for her daughter.

Her father, on the other hand, kept a straight face, "And if you don't have our blessing?"

"I...ummm..." AJ hadn't been expecting that and was caught completely off guard.

"Oh Phillip.  Stop that now," Rita scolded her husband, then turned back to AJ, "He's just giving you a hard time.  You have our every blessing!  I've known this day was coming from the first time I saw the two of you together!"

"Thank you Mrs. Grey," AJ said to Madi's mom, still looking hesitantly at her dad.

"Please, call me Rita...or mom!" She said, taking AJ's hand to give it a gentle squeeze.  She nudged her husband, indicating it was high time he gave up his little intimidation game.

"Welcome to the family AJ!" he finally smiled, giving AJ a hug.

"Mom!  Dad!  Are you here?" Madi called as they walked in the front door.

"In the kitchen Madi!" her mom called back.  AJ and Madi followed her voice into the kitchen, finding the couple sitting at the table, a card game going on the table in front of them.

Madi's mom finished her hand, threw down her cards and went to her daughter.  Hugging her tightly in her arms, Madi could tell she was beginning to cry.

"So did everyone know but me?" Madi laughed, hugging her mom and looking towards AJ.

He shrugged sheepishly, "Kaiden doesn't know...if that helps?"

Madi rolled her eyes and laughed.

"AJ came to us this afternoon," Rita began.

"He came to ask our permission and blessing.  That's the only reason we know," her dad added.

"We're so happy for you both!" Rita cried.  She let go of Madi and took her hand to examine the ring, "It's gorgeous!"

"A gorgeous ring for a gorgeous girl," AJ grinned.


Madi had insisted they wait until morning before going to Holly's.  Kaiden would spend the night with Holly, and AJ could have their first night together as an engaged couple without a crazy three year old.  That would give Holly plenty of time to go crazy and wonder how it had all gone down!

They had stayed for a while with Madi's parents.  Madi had recounted the proposal for her mother, and the guys had sat and talked about ‘guy stuff'.  (Author's Note: I still don't know what this ‘guy stuff' guys insist on talking about alone over brandy and cigars is, but I swear it has to be worse than our girl talk!)

They had gone back to AJ's house, talking into the wee hours of the morning.  Well, talking in between ‘other stuff'.  They discussed the whole living situation, deciding to move Madi and Kaiden in as soon as they could.  There was enough space in this house for them.  And they wanted to start being a family as soon as they could!


Madi turned on her cell phone to six voice mail messages, and a number of other missed calls.  All from Holly.  The messages were progressively more threatening.  They began with, "Not sure I want to know what you two are doing right this second, but call me back!"  And ended with, "Why are you so mean to me?  Just because I wouldn't tell you what was going on?  I don't like you very much right now either!  So there!"

Madi laughed as she listened to the messages.  It was finally time to get Kaiden and see Holly.

AJ and Madi had decided to talk to Kaiden together.  Madi wasn't sure how well Kaiden would understand, but she figured between the two of them, they could get the point across.  Madi set up a lunch date with Holly to share details later, but she wanted to talk to Kaiden right away.

They took him for a special treat at this hour-ice cream.  As the three sat in the park with their ice cream, AJ and Madi decided it was a good time to try and explain.

"Baby boy, momma and AJ want to talk to you."

"'Tay momma," he looked up at them, taking a lick from his dripping ice cream cone.  The chocolate ice cream he had insisted upon having was covering his face, dripping down the cone onto his hands, and spotting his shirt.

"Okay little man.  Momma and I are going to get married."

He just looked up at them, obviously not getting it.  Madi hadn't thought he would.

"Baby boy, you and I are going to go live in AJ's house.  What do you think about that?"

"AJ's be my daddy?" he asked, his little face lighting up, "Juji has daddy.  I wanta AJ be my daddy."

"That's right little man.  You and momma are going to come live at my house.  And you'll have a nice big bedroom there.  And lots of room to play.  And a big back yard to play with your toys," AJ smiled as Kaiden's face got brighter and brighter.

"Anna simmin'?"

"Yep.  We can go swimming all the time."

"Oh don't tell him that!" Madi laughed, knowing that her son would want to be swimming in the middle of December.

"And if you want, little man, I'm going to be your daddy."

Kaiden hopped off the bench and ran around to AJ and Madi.  His ice cream almost forgotten in his hand, he wrapped himself around AJ in a sticky chocolate hug.

"Welcome to parenthood," Madi smiled at AJ and they kissed.


AJ had taken Kaiden for the afternoon while Madi had her lunch date with Holly.

"You are so mean," Holly grumbled.

"Oh come on!  It was funny," when Holly didn't laugh she continued, "At least I thought it was.  You do crap like that to me all the time.  It's not like I was never going to tell you.  Besides, you already knew he was proposing!"

"You're still mean, but I don't hate you anymore."

"Good, cause if you did, I would have to find a new best friend to tell."

"You better tell me.  He told me he was proposing.  He made me help him pick the ring.  But I had no idea how he'd actually do it."

Madi recounted the proposal to Holly, to many ‘aww's and ‘how cute's.  And the wedding planning had immediately started.