- Text Size +

 

 

The next morning, Marissa walked up to her desk and set her purse down. Then there was a knock at the door. She looked up and saw Amy, another nurse that works on the east wing, open the door and step in. Marissa smiled and picked up her clipboard.

“Good morning, Marissa.” Amy said politely.

“Good morning to you too, Amy.” Marissa smiled at her and walked out of her office. Amy followed suit.

“Um, I already faxed Aaron’s test results to Tampa General Hospital, in Tampa Bay so Dr. Harrison can look them over and decide if we should send Aaron to Tampa or not.” Amy told her. Marissa looked up from her clipboard and looked at her.

“Okay, thank you Amy.” Marissa began to walk away but turned back toward Amy.

“Um…..did anything happen to him during the night by any chance?”

Amy shook her head, “Shockingly no. I checked on him ever so often and he just remained the same.”

Marissa narrowed her eyes, “Um okay, that’s weird.” She walked over to the medicine room and pulled out a needle and some penicillin, “I’m going to go tend to him now, and see if he’ll wake up for me.”

Amy nodded, “Okay, well I’m just going to head out now.”

“Okay, drive safely.” Amy waved goodbye and left, “Oh Marissa!” Amy said, walking back into the room, “Jessica starts today on your wing. She’ll be helping you with Aaron.”

Marissa nodded, “Thank you, Amy.” Amy nodded and left as she was going to do so. Marissa grabbed her needle and some gauze and headed toward Aaron’s room. She peered into his window and slowly opened the door. She walked up to him and saw that he was staring at the ceiling. She smiled and sat down on the bed.

“Hey, sweetie. Are you feeling better today?” She said, running her fingers through his hair. Aaron stayed silent. Marissa got up and opened the blinds to let the sunshine in.

“It’s a beautiful day today. Maybe I’ll take you out into the garden. Would you like that?” Still he was silent. Marissa sighed and gently gave him his daily shot. There was a knock at the door. Marissa got up quickly and answered it.

“Breakfast time.” Darla, the lunch lady said, standing there with a trey of hot cereal in her hand. Marissa took the trey and thanked her.

“Breakfast is here, hunnie. “ She said the trey down and lifted Aaron up so he was sitting up. Marissa scooped up a little bit of oatmeal in her spoon and lifted it up to Aaron’s lips. She didn’t try to force it in his mouth or anything, she just set it near his lips, hoping he’ll open his mouth so she can feed him. Aaron did nothing of the sort.

“Come on baby, eat something for me please.” She pleaded. Still he didn’t move. Marissa put the spoon down and picked up a couple of eggs and tried to feed him that. Nothing. She sighed and put the fork down. Aaron sighed heavily and closed his eyes. The medicine was kicking in. Marissa got up and laid Aaron back down and pulled the covers up to his chin. She squeezed his hand and left.

*****

Marissa walked into the nurses station and poured herself a cup of coffee. She took a sip and breathed in its sweet smell. Jack walked in behind her and poured himself a cup also. Jack stole a glance at his wife before taking a sip of his coffee.

“How is he?” Marissa flinched at his sudden voice. She shook her thought away and sat down.

“He’s resting.” She answered.

Jack nodded, “Isn’t Jessica starting today?”

“Yes.” She said quietly.

“And she’ll be helping you with Aaron?”

Marissa took another sip of her coffee and sat it down on the table, “Yes, Jack. She’ll be helping me.”

“Does she know about him?’’

“Of course I told her he was here.”

Jack raised his eyebrows, “But does she know how bad he is?”

Marissa bit her lip and hesitated for a bit, “Well, I haven’t told her every single detail of what he goes through sometimes, but I’ll tell her today, so she can help as well.” Jack sighed and pulled out some papers from his brief case.

“Marissa, I’ve been thinking lately. I really don’t think you can save, Aaron. I mean he’s pretty much gone. I don’t think you can bring him back.”

Marissa shrugged, “He’s not gone yet. Oh and by the way, Angel will be here around one, so I’ll need help sitting him up in his wheelchair since Jessica won’t be here until 6 tonight.”

Jack sighed heavily and put the papers he was thumbing through back into his briefcase, “Alright. But honestly……I think Angel is wasting her time.”

Marissa rolled her eyes, “I’m not the one you should be telling.”

“Your right! I guess I’ll see Angel at one.” Jack grinned, walking out of the station. Tears sprung to Marissa eyes. She took a shaky breath and rested her face in her hands and lets the tears escape.

**********

After awhile Marissa finally stood up, drying her eyes with the sleeve of her uniform. Donna, another nurse walked into the station. Marissa tried to avoid eye contact with her so she wouldn’t see that she had been crying. But Donna noticed.

“Mar, are you okay?” Donna asked walking up to her and putting her arm around her. Marissa took a deep breath, grabbing her water bottle and taking a sip out of it. She took a deep breath and finally turned to Donna.

“I will be.” She sighed and sat on a bar stool. She shook her head, feeling the tears coming on again. “I just understand that man. Donna, if you were me would you want to help Aaron anyway you could?”

“Of course I would. I’m not that heartless like some people…..” Donna trailed off when she looked a upon Marissa’s face, “Oh honey, I’m sorry.” She apologized. Marissa shook her head and held up her hand.

“Don’t be sorry, Donna. It’s okay. I know Jack cares. He cared when Aaron first came to the hospital. He’s just stressed out that’s all. I don’t really think he means it….” She trailed off and looked away. Donna kissed the top of her head. Doctor Thomas peeked his head through the door a couple of seconds later.

“Angel is here.” He told Marissa. Marissa looked at her watch.

“She’s here already here?!” Marissa said, wide eyed, “She wasn’t supposed to be here until one. At least that’s what her mother told me. Where is she?”

“She’s out in the lobby.” Doctor Thomas said, nodding toward the lobby. Marissa nodded and took a drink of her water.

“Donna, can you and Doctor Thomas help Aaron into his wheel chair, please, while I go talk to Angel?”

Donna nodded, “Sure thing, Marissa.”

“Will do.” Doctor Thomas nodded as well and they took off down to Aaron’s room. Marissa walked out into the lobby and greeted Angel with a warm smile. Angel was seated on one of the leather couches with a magazine in her hand.

“Marissa, hi.” Angel greeted her politely. Marissa wrapped her arms around the young woman and smoothed out her hair with her hand.

“How are you sweetie?”

“I’ve been pretty good. How are you Mar?” Marissa took a breath, taking Angel’s arm and leading her down the hall toward Aaron’s room.

“I’ve been struggling a lot. Mainly with stress at work. Trying to get Aaron to respond more to me and Jack is just…..he just doesn’t care anymore. He wants me to stop trying to help your brother, Angel.” Angel stopped and turned toward her, disappointment in her eyes.

“Why is that?”

Marissa shrugged, “I don’t know sweetie. I really don’t know.”

“Marissa, you can’t give up on him. I’m not going to and neither should you.” Angel told her, grabbed her soft hands in hers. Marissa smiled weakly at her.

“Angel I will never give up on your brother. I will give my arm and maybe a leg for him and you know that,” Angel nodded. “Angel, if Jack talks to you about wasting your time coming down here, don’t listen to him. Go in there and visit Aaron before Jack can have a chance to talk to you. I’ll have a talk with Jack later.”

“Okay, but Marissa, did anything happen to him over night?”

“He did have another nightmare, followed by another episode around eight last night. He was fine and sleeping like a baby the night after that. But he refused to eat breakfast this morning.” Angel nodded and grabbed the door hand leading into Aaron’s room.

“Thanks Marissa.” Angel said, giving her a small smile. Marissa rubbed her shoulder, turned and walked back toward the station. Angel took a deep breath and slowly walked into the room, quietly shutting the door behind her.

Aaron sat in his wheelchair, staring out of the window as he did everyday, when Angel came by to see him. He sat as still as a statue, his eyes blank. Angel gently placed her hand on top of his and bent down to his level.

“Hi, Aaron.” She kissed his hand and ran her fingers through the tips of his long shaggy blond hair.

“How are you doing today?” Angel knew deep down that he wanted to answer her but she also knew he couldn’t. She said beside him for quite awhile before talking to him again.

“I love you, Aaron. And I know you know that. But it’s going to be okay, honey. You will get through this. You’re strong and wise. I have faith in you and I know you have faith in yourself as well. You just need to find it. Christy, she…..” Angel trailed, knowing every time she mentions Christy’s name in front of Aaron, he’ll end up going crazy. But he didn’t move. Angel continued.

“She’s in a very special place……” Angel stopped short when she noticed that Aaron’s jaw tightened. Uh oh. ‘Tell him something else, Angel.’ Angel thought to herself.

“Angel.” Angel’s eyes popped opened when she could have sworn she heard her name. She slowly looked up and glanced up at her twin brother. Aaron was actually looking at her. Angel swallowed hard and held Aaron’s hand tightly.

“Aaron….did you just say my name?” She whispered, hopefully to get an answer to tell her that she didn’t imagine it. Aaron held his gaze, the same gaze he always portrays. But then something changed. His expression turned cold and dark. To Angel it seemed like his eyes darkened all of a sudden. Angel gasped loudly when Aaron yanked his hand away.

“How can you lie to me?” Aaron told her, his voice cold and scratchy. Angel’s eyes widened. She sank back a little ways from the wheel chair.

“Aaron…..what are you talking about?” Angel could feel her heart starting to break. She was confused on why he would say something like that.

“Why can’t you just tell me the truth for once in your life? Telling me that everything is going to be okay. What bullshit! The truth is that everything is not going to be okay!” Aaron said, his eyes blaring. Angel stood up and sat on the bed.

“I don’t understand.”

Aaron snorted, “You never do! You don’t understand what I have been through !”

“Aaron, yes I do----”

“You do?! You do?!?! The hell you do! You were not on that plane Angel! You did not see everyone die right before your eyes and scared to death of dying yourself! You didn’t get to see Christy die right in front of you, but I did!!! I told her I wasn’t going to let her go, but I did! I let her go, Angel!! I promised her!!! And now you’re sitting there telling me that you understand?! God Dammit, Angel, don’t fucking lie to me!!!!!” Aaron sobbed hard, letting his agony and the anger all out. Angel choked back a sob and reached for me. Aaron swung his hand down and slapped her hand away, hard. Angel gasped when he did. She lifted it up and rubbed her hand, tears releasing from her eyes.

“Aaron, please….” She pleaded for him to just listen to her.

“Just leave, Angel.” He said, he gaze hard as a rock.

“Please, just listen to me---”

“Did I fucking stutter? I said leave! Get out! GET OUT!!!!!!!” He screamed, grabbing her by the arm and pulled her off the bed. Angel shrieked and pulled away from him, “Don’t you ever come back, Angel. Just leave me alone!!!” Angel stumbled toward the door, sobs escaping from her lips. When she got the door she turned back.

“I love you.” She whispered. Aaron’s jaw tightened.

“Get……..out.” He gritted between his teeth. Angel turned and quickly walked out of the door. She walked swiftly down the hall, her head down so no one can see her tears. As she neared the entrance, she heard someone running up behind her. Someone grabbed her and turned her around.

“Angel, what’s the matter?” Angel looked up and stared at Marissa. Marissa gasped when she saw Angel’s tear stained face.

“Jesus, Angel what happened? Tell me baby? Is Aaron okay?”

Angel swallowed hard, “No, he isn’t.”

“What happened?”

“Maybe I am wasting my time coming down here, Mar.” Angel said, her voice cracking. Marissa searched Angels eyes for something else than that.

“Oh no. No don’t say that sweetie. Aaron will come around. Just have faith.”

Angel shook her head, “Marissa…..Aaron spoke to me.”

Marissa’s eyes widened, ‘’Really, what did he say?” She said, smiling from ear to ear.

“Nothing good.” Marissa smile faded almost immediately when she said that.

“What do you mean?”

“He blames himself for Christy’s death. And he told me to get out and so I am. I’m not going to come back for a couple of days, so I can let him cool off. But I want you to call me if anything happens to him.”

Marissa swallowed back the her tears and nodded. Angel gave her a weak smile and started out the door. She stopped and turned back to her.

“Oh Marissa, next time you tell Aaron that everything is going to be okay. All you’re going to be doing is lying to him. Don’t lie to him, tell the truth. Even if it’s not the truth to you.” Marissa took a deep breath and nodded slowly. With that Angel turned and walked out of the hospital. Marissa stood there by the entrance dumbfounded and jittery, staring after her, Angel’s words playing over in her head.