- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy! Don't forget to review!! :)

Jessica walked into the nurses station and sat down at the counter. Julie then walked in and smiled when she saw her.

“Why hello, Jessica.”

“Is Aaron okay?” Jessica quickly asked. Julie looked at her softly.

“He’s okay, hunnie. He doesn’t remember anything that happened.”

Jessica sighed, “Yeah well I do.”

Julie sat down beside her, “Don’t feel bad, Jess. He’ll be okay. He has to be. It might take a little bit mare time, but I sure hope he gets better.”

“Me too, but I feel like I can’t be around him because when he looks at me he thinks I’m Christy and he freaks out. I just wish he could meet me and know that. I want him to know who I am. I want him to let me help him too. And right now I’m scared I can’t.” Julie smiled and smoothed out Jessica’s hair.

“He will, hunnie. You just have to give him time.”

“What if we can’t help him? What if it’s just a waste of time?” Jessica sighed.

“You can’t think like that, Jessica.” Julie told her, “This sort of thing happens all the time. Kids going though a deep depression, denial. Some of them meet their fate but the ones that survive realized that there are people out there, people who care so much about them, and people who will not leave them be when they want to be left alone. Those are the people that help those kids want to see a new day. And you and Marissa are that reason. You can’t be scared to go up there and hold his hand, Jessica. You can’t be afraid to talk to him and even if he does freak out on you, you have to take control. Make him understand, help him understand why he’s here. Why he’s in this situation and help him understand why he wasn’t meant to save Christy. If he was meant to….he would have.” Julie explained. Jessica swallowed the huge lump in her throat.

Jessica nodded, “Aunt Mar is already in there doing that right now.”

Julie raised her eyebrows, “You want to go help her?”

“She wanted to see him alone. Something to do with Jerry.” She paused, ‘’Julie, did you know he died in that plane crash?”

Julie nodded, “Yes I did know that.”

Jessica narrowed her eyes, “You did?”

“Yeah. You didn’t?”

“I think Uncle Jack wanted me to think he died in a car crash.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. But I plan to find out.” Jessica said, leaning back in her chair. She felt her the heat rise up from her cheeks in anger. She didn’t understand why Jack couldn’t just tell her the truth in the first place. For over a year she had been lied to. She wondered if Jack told Marissa not to tell her the truth either. That’s why Marissa always told her it was a car accident. Jack obviously didn’t want her to know and Jessica is determined to figure out why.

“Jessica, there’s always a reason behind everything. Remember that.” Jessica nodded silently. Julie patted her on the shoulder and left the room, leaving Jessica to her thoughts.

------

Meanwhile in Aaron’s room, Marissa silently sat down on the edge of the bed and stared sadly at him. Aaron laid on his left side, his back to her. Marissa slipped in beside him, wrapping her arms around him, holding him close. Aaron’s body felt cold and she pressed more tightly up against him. She moved his hair away from his face and kissed his temple.

“Are you awake?” She whispered in his ear. Marissa felt him give her a small nod. Marissa took a deep breath and began, “I want you to listen carefully of what I have to tell you. I don’t want you to blow up at me like you did to Angel earlier. Just listen to me. Can you do that?” Aaron nodded, “Okay. Aaron what you are feeling right now, I understand. You have every right to feel heartbroken. But sweetie, you can’t blame yourself for what happened to Christy. If you were meant to save her, you would have. You just got to realize, is that you risked your life to try and save her in the first place. You didn’t just sit back and watch her die, you fought. And that proves that you loved her very much. You just to got understand that death is a part life and we all have to go sometime, even when it’s for the reason we don’t understand,” She paused, “Aaron, I haven’t told you this and I wish I told you this sooner. My son who was only nineteen at the time died in that accident also. I was just like you, I thought I wouldn’t survive it. But after awhile I realized that life is still out there. Waiting for me to take on something else. Something that allows me to want to see a new day. You can’t spend the rest of your life blaming yourself. You got to be strong. You got to have faith in yourself that you can make it to tomorrow. To live another day. It will be okay, baby. You’ve got to have faith in that. Just give it time.” By that time Aaron was sobbing. Marissa gave him little kisses on his soaked cheek. Aaron turned around in her arms and embraced her. Marissa stroked his hair as sobs took over his body.

“I want to get better. But I just don’t know what to do.” Aaron cried hard, “I miss her so much.”

“I know, baby. I know.”

“Mar, I don’t like it here. I want to go home….” Aaron whispered. His sobs finally desisted, but the tears kept coming. Marissa didn’t say anything else. She gently pulled herself away from him and laid him down. She pulled the blankets up to his chin and kissed his forehead.

“I’ll be right back.” Aaron nodded, closing his eyes and drifting to sleep. Marissa pulled herself off of the bed and walked to the door.

“Who is she?” Aaron asked. Marissa turned, her hand on the door knob.

“Who?”

“That girl that came in here earlier. Who is she?”

Marissa took a deep breath, “That would be my niece, Jessica.”

“She reminded me a lot of Christy. “ Aaron told her.

Marissa nodded, “I know. But remember she isn’t. She’s just Jessica.” Aaron nodded. Marissa smiled and walked out into the hall.

“I know what to do.” She said, making sure the door was shut all the way.

“Hey Julie. Hey sweetie.” Marissa greeted Julie and Jessica, when she walked into the nurses station.

“Hey.” They said in unision. Marissa grabbed a pen and a sheet attached to a clipboard and started to feel the sheet out.

“What are you doing, Mar?” Julie asked, sipping her water.

“I am…..releasing Aaron.” Marissa told her without no hesitation. Both Julie and Jessica whipped their head around and looked at her.

“What??”

Marissa raised her eyebrows, but kept her head down, “Did I studder?”

Julie put her water down, “I’m sorry, Mar but I don’t think he is well enough to go home yet.”

“Julie, he wants to go home. And he’s not going to his home, he’s going home with me. Which reminds me to tell Kim to give me a vacation. I don’t know for how long it will be. Just long enough for Aaron to get better. I know it’s short notice and that she’ll be pissed but hey that’s her problem. I’ll be on call if any of you truly truly need me. If it’s absolutely mandatory. If you need someone to work for you, call some else.” Marissa told Juile.

“I’m pretty sure Kim will understand. I’ll talk to her for you.” Marissa nodded.

“I’m going to go get Aarons things together, give him a bath and have Gail cut his hair later. He’ll be released first thing in the morning tomorrow.” Julie nodded, grabbing the phone to call their boss, Kim. Marissa squeezed Jessica’s shoulders, “Are you ready to do this?”

Jessica took a deep breath and shrugged, “As ready as I’m ever going to be.”

Marissa smiled, “We can do this. Every things going to be fine.”

Jessica nodded, “I hope so.”

“Don’t worry. “ Marissa winked at her and made her way back to Aaron’s room, thinking if this is the best way to help him.