- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the next chapter enjoy!

Don't forget to review please! :D

Jessica opened the door to Aarons room. She peeked inside and gazed upon Aarons sleeping figure. She took a step back when Aaron suddenly shifted, rolling onto his back. She smiled to herself, as Aaron slowly opened his eyes. He lifted up his head and looked at her.

“Hey.” She managed to say, despite the sound of her heart pounding in her ears.

“Hi…..” Aaron whispered, pulling the covers down just a tad. Jessica let out the breath she was holding. She bit her lip and quietly stepped into the room. She made sure the door was open just ajar, before she moved nervously toward him.

“You can relax, Jess.” Aaron chuckled. Jessica jumped at the sound of his voice. She sighed in relief and sat down on the bed beside him.

“Just making sure….”

Aaron silently nodded, “I’m so sorry about that.” Jessica smiled and took his hand in hers.

“Don’t be. It’s completely understandable.” Aaron nodded sadly and turned his face away from her. Jessica leaned down and kissed his cheek sweetly, “Dinner ready.” She whispered in his ear.

“K…” He turned back around and scooted closer to her. Feeling the warmness of her body made him feel a tad bit safer.

“I’m hungry.”

“Then lets go get some grub shall we.” Jessica laughed, grabbing his arm and helped him out of bed.

*******

Meanwhile downstairs, Marissa hummed to herself as she put the food on the table for dinner. She gasped in delight when she saw Jessica and Aaron enter the dining room. She walked up to Aaron and threw her arms around him in a tight embrace.

“You came. I was expecting you not to come down.”

“I’m hungry…” Aaron mumbled into her shoulder. Marissa laughed, pulling away from their hug.

“You can sit right here.” She said, patting the seat next to her, to her left. Aaron sat down in the chair, next to her. He glanced up at Jessica who was sitting across from him. Jessica smiled at him. He looked down at his hands and to his surprise his lips formed into a small smile

****

During dinner, the conversations were light. Aaron ate only his baked potato and hesitated on everything else. Marissa stood up and wrapped her arms around Aarons neck.

“Is that all you’re going to eat?”

“Mhm.” He answered. Marissa kissed his cheek.

“It’ll get better, baby. At least you’re not shut in like you were in that hell hole. I didn’t have the authority to release you when your injures were healed. Hell, I still don’t and I guarantee you I’m not going to hear the end of it.” Marissa chuckled a bit, “TV’s free if you want to join Jess in the living room. I’ll clean up here.” Aaron nodded, standing up slowly. He then took Jessica’s out stretched hand and walked into the living room with her. Once they were seated, Aaron immediately moved to the far side of the couch away from her. He pulled his knees up to his chest and buried himself deeper into his hoodie. Jessica felt worthless. How can she try to help him if he won’t even look at her? She knew that he knew she wasn’t Christy. Jessica wished that he can look at her and actually see her and nobody else.

“So…what do you want to watch?” Jessica whispered, watching him shrug his shoulders. She licked her lips and began flipping through channels. She stepped on one of the channels to find that ‘White Chicks’ is on. Jessica smiled to herself thinking a comedy would make him feel better.

“How bout White Chicks?”

“This is fine.” Aaron whispered. Jessica nodded to herself and put the remote down on the table beside the couch. She stood up and grabbed a blanket that was hanging over the love seat. She gently placed it over Aaron. She sat down next to him and took his hand tightly. Aaron didn’t pull away nor did he hold her hand back.

*******

Later that night, Marissa sat silently at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee. She was so lost in her thoughts she didn’t hear the front door open and then slam shut. Her heart leaped into her throat when Jack suddenly charged into the kitchen, slamming his brief case on the counter and got into her face. Marissa shrunk back in fear and confusion.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” He hissed, his eyes blaring with pure anger. Marissa swallowed hard, suddenly feeling like she couldn’t breathe.

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about.” Jack forced himself away from her, yanking his jacket off.

“Tell me one good reason why you want to help Aaron, Marissa.”

Marissa narrowed her eyes, “Why not?”

Jacks eyes flickered and he suddenly started to laugh, “Why not?” Then his smile faded, “Why not?! He’s not even your kid!! He’s not our son! Our son is Jerry! We’re supposed to be taking care of Jerry, not him!” Marissa’s eyes started to water. The pain the lump in her throat was giving her gave her even more pain.

“Jerry’s dead, Jack.” She managed to say, only in a quiet whisper……

********

Jerking out of his deep slumber, Aaron tiredly opened his eyes and looked around the dark room. Realizing he was leaning into Jessica, with her arms wrapped around him, he quickly moved out of her hold, careful not to wake her. He sat back and stared upon her face. Her chest rose up and down at a steady pace. Aaron swallowed hard and squeezed his eyes shut to prevent the tears that he can feel start to form. He wanted to stop doing this. Every time he looks a Jessica, he see Christy. Deep down he wanted to see Jessica, but his mind was telling him that wouldn’t happen. Voice suddenly snapped him, out of his thoughts. Throwing the blanket over Jessica, he stood up and walked toward the kitchen where the angry voice was coming from. Seeing Jack yelling angrily at Marissa, he stayed hidden behind the wall and listened.

“……he’s not even your kid!! He’s not our son! Our son is Jerry! We’re supposed to be taking care of Jerry, not him!”

“Jerry’s dead, Jack.”

“That is my God Damn point! Stop trying to replace him!”

Marissa’s face fell, “Excuse me?!” She stood up angrily, “How dare you excuse me of such a thing! I could never ever replace Jerry!”

Jack laughed bitterly, “Seems like your doing a damn good job right now.” Marissa ran her shaky hands through her hair, tears slipping down her cheeks.

“Christ Jack…..I loved Jerry with every fiber of my body. How can I even think about replacing him. He’s irreplaceable….” She sobbed. Jack shook his head, his hands on his hips, “Jack I became a nurse because so I can save peoples lives. It’s the same reason why you became a doctor. To try to save a life. Please let me save him.” She pleaded. Jack sighed and turned to her.

“Marissa stop lying to yourself. You don’t want to except the face that Aaron survived that plane crash and Jerry didn’t. You look at Aaron and you see him as Jerry.”

Marissa shook her head, “No I don’t.”

“Yes you do.” Jack said quietly. Marissa let her face fall into her hands, as she continued to cry.

“Answer this question for me. If both Aaron and Jerry would have survived, who would you chose?”

“That’s not fair….”

“Answer the question.” He interrupted. Marissa took a deep breath and crossed her arms tightly across her chest.

“Jerry.” She answered.

Jack nodded, “Would you even think about trying to save Aaron also?”

Marissa didn’t hesitate, “Yes.”

Jack raised his eyebrows, “You would? As hard as you’re trying right now?”

Marissa cried harder, “Okay, you can stop now.”

“Why? Because you know I’m right?”

Marissa then glared at him, “You’re not right and I’m going to prove it.”

***

Back in the hallway, Aaron has had enough. He quietly sprinted upstairs. He jumped on his bed and started to cry, “Jack’s right. He’s right.”

*

Jack stared at her for a long time before finally answering, “Be my guest. But you’re on your own. Expect me not to be around very much. As a matter of fact make that not at all.” He said calmly.

Marissa’s eyes widened, “What do you mean?”

Jack sighed softly, “I feel like I’m living a life I didn’t agree to.” He gently grabbed both sides of her face and placed a soft kiss on her forehead and then walked back out of the door. Marissa sinked back into her chair, choking back sobs. She cried until no more tears would come. Her head suddenly snapped up off the table when she remembered Aaron and Jessica. She flew into the living room, praying they didn’t hear the conversation. Jessica was the only one there, sound asleep.

“Jessica wake up.” She whispered shaking her. Jessica jerked upright startled.

“Aunt Mar, what is it??”

“Where’s Aaron?” Marissa panicked.

“Um….” Jessica looked down and realized the blanket that she used to cover Aaron up with, was now covering her and that Aaron wasn’t there. Jessica blinked but stayed silent. Marissa turned and ran up the stairs and flew Aarons door open. She stopped short when she found Aaron laying on top of his blanket, fully clothed, his eyes closed. She fell against the door and held on tightly. Fresh new tears stung her eyes. After awhile of staring upon him she finally walked out of the room, unaware Aarons eyes opened as soon as the door closed.