- Text Size +
Stepping up to the bar his eyes searched for an empty stool, and it didn't take him long to find one. There were quite a few, as most of the people located at the bar were either newcomers, like him, or loners, whom no one wanted to have anything to do with.

Which one he would be taken for, he didn't know, and it didn't really matter. He had never thought that what he searched for was a person. It could be, but he didn't think it was. It was something that could not be explained.

The bartender on this side of the bar noticed him sitting down, and was over there in a matter of seconds, asking him what he wanted. He ordered a Bloodless Bloody Mary, which was only the Bloody Mary for people outside the vampire world.

He got his drink less than a minute later, the bartender giving him a strange look. Maybe the man wasn't used to people ordering Bloodless drinks in this place. Looking around, he found that it might just be so, as every single person sitting at his end of the bar were drinking Blood drinks, though some looked like they would rather not.

He shook his head, and took a sip of his drink, his eyes scanning the room quickly, looking for anything and anyone. He avoided eye contact as best he could, for he was not here in search of mindless chatter with the first vampire whore that came along. And there were quite a few of those here. Those who would do anything for you if they could only have a small taste of your blood. It was distasteful, and it made you loose concentration.

He wasn't here for the company or the socializing. He was here because he was looking for something, and he would never find it if he acted like some of these people were. Their behaviour alone scared him at times, because he knew very well that some of the people in here killed for blood. They would drink someone’s blood and leave him or her to die, because it was what they thought a vampire would do. And no one would think less of them for doing so. No one would dare, for only a True Believer would ever go that far.

His eyes landed on a woman, and a pretty one at that. Her long pitch-black hair hung loose, swinging from side to side as she moved. Her skin was pale, like she had not been out in the sun for years. She stood there talking to some Mixes, yet her behaviour… there was something familiar about it. It was as if she only talked to them because she felt she had to, like she would rather be somewhere else.

He kept his eyes on her, studying her. He didn't know why, but there was something about her, something that made him unable to take his eyes off her. He felt an attraction to her, yet he also felt something else. Something he could only describe as a hateful feeling. Like he didn't like her at all. He didn't even know her, had only just now seen her, yet he knew he didn't like her. He knew that he could never like her.

He took his eyes off her, and continued his search through the room, occasionally taking a sip of his drink. He ignored those who looked like they wanted start a conversation with him, those who were looking for company, for a connection. He kept his eyes moving, taking in everything, absorbing every little detail of the room, of the people.

Then he felt that familiar feeling again, and for a moment he wondered if the woman was moving through the room. Then he saw him, standing by himself over by the entrance, as if he had just arrived. He was tall, about his own height, with short black hair arranged in a fashion so it looked like he just got out of bed. His clothes were as black as his hair, and his blue eyes sparkled in the sparse light.

He kept his eyes on this man, and watched as the man started to slowly walk through the room, his eyes searching for someone it seemed. He took another sip of his drink as the man came a little closer, and then the man suddenly stopped, turning his head. The man's eyes seemed to land on the same black haired woman that he himself had been watching only moments before.

Then, suddenly, someone moved right in front of him, blocking his sight of the man. When the view was clear again, the man was gone. The familiar feeling he had inside, it was gone as well. He didn't understand what it was, but he knew it had something to do with that man that had just entered. The man who had shown an interest in the same woman he had seen. The man he had lost in the crowd.

He closed his eyes, trying to will that familiar feeling back. It didn't come. He lifted his glass again, to take another sip, and realized it was empty. Turning around to face the bar he motioned for the bartender to bring him another one. He knew he needed something to drink while he was sitting there.

The man came over with it, still giving him that strange look, the look that meant he didn't approve of someone drinking a Bloodless Bloody Mary. It seemed the Red House was not a place for Bloodless drinks. He took a sip of his drink, to check that it had no blood. It didn't, and he turned around again, only to find himself looking straight at the man he had been watching only minutes before.

He almost dropped the glass as he felt the familiar feeling return, ten times as strong. There was something about this man, almost as if he was drawn to him. He got a stronger hold on his glass, took a sip, and gave the man a smile, motioning for him to sit down. The man smiled back, and took the seat next to him, without saying a word, ordering his drink with a hand gesture, never taking his eyes off the man sitting next to him.