- Text Size +
They sat there, staring at each other, for what seemed like an eternity. In truth, it was only half a minute, until the man got his drink. Then the eye contact was broken, but the feeling was still there. Still there and stronger than ever, yet he was not able to tell what it was that he felt. He just knew he felt something.

"Hello," the man said to him, and smiled, his blue eyes shining, his pale skin standing out in the dim lighting. He could barely hear what the man had said, due to the music that had suddenly started to play louder. It seemed it got louder as the night passed.

"Hi," he replied, leaning closer to the man as he extended his hand. "My name is Nickolas." The man sat down his drink on the bar, and took Nickolas' hand and shook it.

"My name is Avatar. It's a pleasure to meet you Nickolas."

Nickolas raised an eyebrow, a smile appearing on his face as he leaned a bit closer. The music must be louder than he thought, for what he had heard could clearly not be the man's name.

"What did you say your name was again?" he asked, and Avatar answered him again. He hadn't heard wrong. The man's name really was Avatar, strange as it may sound.

"I do not believe you," he said, still smiling, taking another sip of his drink. Avatar only smiled. "It's my real name, as real as Nickolas is the one you go by now," he replied, downing half of his drink, a Blood drink it seemed. For a second, Nickolas was worried that this man was a Believer. They did tend to change their names to something that sounded more like a vampire name, at least in their own eyes.

He took another sip of his drink, letting his eyes wander over Avatar's body, taking in everything about the man. None of the clothes he wore spoke of a Believer, nor did his behaviour. It seemed he was just another Mix then, or possibly a newcomer like him.

"Like what you see?" Avatar asked with a raised eyebrow. Nickolas grinned at him, finishing off his second drink, and motioning for the bartender to give him another one. "Just checking that you weren't a Believer," he replied. He had not expected the look of disgust that ran over Avatar's features. "Believers. Stupid children playing a game they don't know all the rules to. I would never associate with any of them, nor do I like to talk of them. So let's not. Is this your first time here?"

Nickolas was surprised at the amount of hate in Avatar's voice as he talked about the Believers, and how quickly it had gone away when he had changed the subject and asked him a question.

"Yeah, it's my first time here," he replied, and Avatar nodded, telling him that he had thought so, for he had never seen Nickolas there before. It turned out that Avatar was there at least once a week. Why he was there Nickolas didn't ask, but then again, Avatar didn't ask why he was there either.

They talked about everything that night. About Nickolas' life, what he did for a living, about how he had grown up in Florida. They talked about life, dreams, nightmares and wishes. They covered a lot that first night, and during their entire conversation, Nickolas felt that familiar feeling. Every time he looked into Avatar's eyes it got stronger, and every time he looked away from the man it felt weaker. He could still feel Avatar sitting next to him, but the feeling of familiarity grew weaker when he wasn't looking at the man.

Avatar showed no sign of emotion associated with that familiarity, and Nickolas did not feel like asking the man about it. It could just be attraction, but he wasn't sure. He had felt it when he looked at that black haired woman and he felt it now, looking at Avatar. He didn't understand it, but he didn't care. He just let it wash over him as he stared into Avatar's eyes as the night slowly moved towards day again.

As the time for sunrise got closer, Avatar started showing signs that he would rather get moving, and Nickolas knew that he too should start to get home. He would need some sleep, if he were to be able to do some work that day before it was time to return to this place again at night.

They were not the only ones who were getting ready to leave, and as they walked in the crowd heading for the door, none of them said a word. Avatar was standing close to him, one hand casually draped around Nickolas' waist.

As they finally came outside, Avatar moved them a little away from the Red House before he turned to look straight into Nickolas' eyes.

"You coming tomorrow?" he asked, and Nickolas could only nod, once more lost in the feeling as he looked into Avatar's eyes. Avatar smiled, and placed a soft kiss on Nickolas' lips, before he turned and started to walk away.

"See you then," he said, as he moved into the shadows of a building and was gone.

Nickolas stood there for a few minutes, his fingers touching his lips where Avatar had kissed him, his mind trying to figure out what that familiar feeling was. Why did he feel it when he was close to Avatar, and that woman for that matter? What was it all about? He didn't understand the feeling any more than he understood why he knew that he hated the black haired woman, and why he knew that he could trust Avatar with his life.

The way he felt towards those two were so different, yet the same. He felt drawn towards them, to Avatar in particular, and to the woman, even though he knew he hated her more than anything else. He didn't understand any of it, but he hoped that one day he would. And until then he would take one day at a time, just as he always had. And that following night he was meeting Avatar again. Maybe then he would find out more. And if he didn't, well, it didn't really matter. He could spend a lifetime not understanding that feeling, if he could only spend that lifetime with Avatar by his side.