- Text Size +
For the past four weeks there had been a pattern forming in Nickolas' life. He had gone from never knowing where he would go next to having a plan formed in his mind at the beginning of each day. He went to work, moving about as if in a daze, watching time move slower and slower, until the time came that he could go home. His feet could never carry him fast enough back to his own place, and once there time seemed to speed up again. He barely had time to get something to eat while he got ready, and the time for him to leave always seemed to come before he was truly happy about the way he looked.

He would walk into the Red House a little late, and stop as the familiar feeling crashed in over him, as if to swallow him whole. His eyes would find Avatar at once, no matter where the man was in the room. Avatar would always be there when he arrived. Even if he on a rare occation was early, Avatar would always manage to be there first.

They would spend most of the night at the bar talking and drinking, or on the dance floor where Nickolas tried to teach Avatar some of the latest dance moves, and laugh every time the man almost fell over because he was trying too hard.

Every night he would drown in the feeling of familiarity and knowledge, and every night he would wonder what that feeling was, why he felt it, and every night he would come to the conclusion that he didn't care.

They had spent more than one night in one of the rooms at the Red House, and one weekend they had spent entirely in one of the rooms on the upper levels, never once leaving, not even to get something to eat. He had wondered more than once if this was what love felt like, but had never found the strength to ask Avatar about it. He didn't know how the man felt. He could guess, but nothing more. He could look into his eyes and say he thought he knew, but he could never be sure.

For four weeks they played this game, avoiding questions that needed answers, and instead living in the moment, not caring one bit about the future. They followed no plan, so real pattern, but went with their urges, let their conversations guide and control them, and at the end of the night said their goodbyes outside the Red House, just as they had that first night. Avatar would walk into the shadows, becoming one with them, Nickolas' eyes following him until the very moment the shadows swallowed him.

This night started out as all the others had. The familiar feeling came crashing over him the second he stepped into the Red House, and as always his eyes found Avatar at once, sitting at the bar, staring straight at Nickolas. He walked over and ordered his drink, never once taking his eyes off Avatar. He felt like he was drowning in the familiar feeling, just as he felt at the beginning of every night. He sat down, and their nightly ritual began.

*****

Nickolas knew that it was time to leave, knew that they should be moving, but he didn't want to. He didn't feel like leaving Avatar this day, or any other day for that matter. He wanted to stay as close as possible to the man. It was the end of the night, and people were leaving, yet he wanted to stay right there in Avatar's arms, dancing.

"Can we stay forever?" he asked, moving a step back so that he could look into Avatar's beautiful eyes. The man smiled, but shook his head. "It's getting late, and we should be leaving" he said, and took Nickolas' hand. "Actually it's early" Nickolas stated, as he gave Avatar a soft kiss, trying to make the man stay for a little while longer.

Avatar smiled and brought his hand up to cup Nickolas' face. "All the more reason for us to be moving. It'll be day in less than an hour, and you need to get some sleep." Nickolas smiled, and turned his head to kiss the plam of Avatar's hand. "I don't need sleep" he said, a grin spreading accross his face. "Sure you don't" Avatar said, as he once again took Nickolas' hand, this time to start leading him outside.

*****

They said nothing as they walked in the crowd that was leaving the Red House. This part of the night was always a quiet part. No words were uttered as they walked slowly, neither of them wanting the night to end, and both knowing that it had to. It had to because it always did, it always ended here, outside the Red House, slightly hidden from the others in shadows, saying their goodbyes.

As they were swallowed by shadows once more, Avatar turned to look at Nickolas. "Don't go" Nickolas said, leaning in to give Avatar a kiss, as if to try and convince the man not to leave him standing there alone in the dark. "I don't want to, but I have to" Avatar said, kissing Nickolas back. "Why?" Nickolas asked, not understanding why Avatar had to leave.

Avatar didn't reply at first, only looked into Nickolas' eyes, as if he was searching for something. If he found it or not, he didn't show, but after a few minutes of silence he finally said, "because I am a vampire, and we do not like sunlight very much." He looked dead serious when he said it, though a smile appeared on his face as Nickolas leaned in and kissed him again. "Well then my dear vampire, you'll just have to take me with you, for I am not leaving you this night" he said, making his point clear with another kiss.

They stood there for a while kissing, before Avatar pulled away, again taking Nickolas' hand in his own. No words were said as he started to lead Nickolas with him deeper into the shadows, as he for the first time brought the man with him home.