- Text Size +
That night the shadows swallowed them both as they moved away from the Red House, following the path Avatar took each night. Nickolas walked next to him, holding on to his hand as if he was afraid the man would vanish if he let go. Where they went, he didn't notice, as his whole attention was on the man leading him in the shadows.

Avatar moved slowly, his gaze shifting from the shadow cloaked buildings in front of them to the beautiful man beside him. As the sun started to rise, and the night shifted into day, Avatar lead Nickolas into a building that looked abandoned, worn down, and all but hidden in the shadows of the surrounding buildings.

He closed the door behind them, and started to lead Nickolas down a long hall, passing three doors on the way. The whole building had seen better days, but as they reached the door at the far end of the hall, Nickolas noticed that this door had a lock on it, and looked more well kept than the three others.

Avatar unlocked the door, never letting go of Nickolas' hand, turning to face him as he opened the door.

"Welcome to my home" he said, smiling and leaning in to give Nickolas a soft kiss. The he stepped into the room, leading Nickolas with him, stepping aside so that Nickolas could have a look at the place.

The room looked nothing like the rest of the building. The entrance hall was big and lighted, the walls painted in a deep shade of red, and the sparse furiture matching the color of the walls. As they moved further into the apartment, they entered the living room.

The walls there were painted in a dark green color, candles decorating the oak table in front of the black leather couch which was situated in the far right corner. The carpet on the floor felt soft underneath his feet, black as the night, matching the room perfectly.

It might have seemed dark and dank, but to him it felt cozy, impressive, like home. He could tell at once that Avatar had decorated this place himself, going for an old fashioned style. The paintings on the walls looked like they had been painted hundreds of years ago, portraying wild animals, landscape and people. Each and every one of them placed carefully in the room, so that it did not disturb the fine balance that was clearly present.

To the left was the kitchen, it's walls painted in the same green color like the living room, well equipped, yet seeming old fashioned. He took a quick look around in there, noticing the same planned decorating there as in the living room, the balance just right. Then he moved into the living room, straight ahead this time, over to a black door that he believed lead into the bedroom.

Avatar was there before him, opening the door, turning to look at him with a smile on his face, the reflection of lit candles dancing in his eyes. Nickolas smiled back, walking closer, wrapping his arms around Avatar, moving the both of them into the bedroom. He leaned in and kissed Avatar, his eyes closed, his senses high, drowning in that familiar feeling that now, more than ever, was present.

As the kiss ended he took a look around the room. It was more impressive than anything else in the house. The walls were painted pitch black, lit up by several old fashioned lamps on the walls and candles on the night stand. The bed was huge, filling up most of the room, covered in what seemed to be dark red silk sheets. Huge black curtains hid the room from any daylight, the candles making the shadows dance on the walls.

He walked closer to the windows, which took up all of the far wall, but was stopped by Avatar before he made it that far. As he turned to ask why the man had stopped him, Avatar leaned in to kiss him again, and all thoughts of letting in daylight was lost as he melted into Avatar's embrace, his hands removing the man's clothing, as his own fell to the floor.

*****

He didn't know what time it was when he woke up, the black curtains were shutting out all sunlight. Around him shadows from the lit candles were dancing on the walls, the candles themselves being the only source of lighting in the room.

Behind him he could feel Avatar's frame spooning him, his arm were firmly placed around Nickolas' waist, Avatar felt almost cool behind him, the heat from the sheets and room itself making it difficult to tell. He didn't want to move, wanted to stay there in bed with Avatar forever, but he knew he couldn't. Though he had no work today, there were still things he wanted to do. Everyday things like eating breakfast and going shopping. Things couples did. For they were a couple now, and he figured they had been since that first night, even if neither of them had actually voiced the fact.

He moved Avatar's arm slowly, not wanting to wake the other man, and moved out of the bed. The covers were now only covering Avatar's lower half, but Nickolas made no move to change that. For a few seconds his eyes were locked on the mans chest and face, taking in the beauty of it, before he leaned down and gave him a soft kiss on the forehead.

Then he turned around, trying to locate his boxers. The darkness of the room made that task all but impossible, for a few lit candles did not cast off that much light. After a few minutes of stumbling around he located them, and after pulling them on he turned towards the huge curtain covered windows, wondering what time of the day it was, if it was sunny outside or if they had spent the entire day in that bed together.

He walked over slowly so he wouldn't trip on any of the clothes that were still scattered on the floor. As he reached the windows it took him a few seconds to locate where he could actually open them, but as he did, it did not take him long to pull them aside, letting in the midday sun.

He had not been prepared for the scream behind him, or the sizzling sound of something burning, the smell of burnt flesh. What he saw when he turned around scared him more than anything he had ever seen, it froze him, made his breathing reflex stop for a few seconds. He just stood there, staring, saying nothing. His eyes locked on Avatar.

He had never seen another man move as fast as Avatar had. One second he had been lying in the bed, the other he was on the opposite side of the room, breathing hard as his chest just then started to stop burning. Nickolas was shocked as he saw the red burns on Avatar's chest, where the sunlight had hit him. Parts of Avatar's face was also burnt, but not as much as his chest. The smoke was just settling, but the smell was still there. The smell of burnt flesh.

"What the fuck?" he said, not able to take his eyes off Avatar, who's chest had stopped to smoke, and it seemed as if the burns were not as bad as Nickolas first had though. The burns. The sun had burnt him, badly. "What the fuck?"

"You said that already" Avatar said, looking at him, his eyes shining as beautifully blue as ever.

"What...are you?" Nickolas asked, his voice cracking on him, barely able to voice those three simple words.

What are you.

Three words, seemlingly not that important, but in this situation more important that any other words in the world. Nickolas could not take his eyes of Avatar as he waited for the mans response.

"You already know that" Avatar said, taking a step closer to Nickolas, but making sure he stayed clear of the sunlight that was still shining brightly into half of his bedroom.

"No I don't" Nickolas said, still not able to move, still not having full control over his own voice.

"I told you last night Nickolas. I'm a vampire."

I'm a vampire.

A vampire.

Vampire.

Avatar had told him last night, but Nickolas had not believed him. If he hadn't just witnessed what he had, if the couldn't see the burns on Avatar's chest and face, if the room weren't still bathed in the smell of burnt flesh, then he wouldn't have believed the man. But he had seen all these things, and what he had seen made him believe. Believe that Avatar was a vampire. And believing made it all allright. It made it all better, clearer, it made it all make sense.

For the longest time Nickolas didn't say anything, didn't move, his eyes were locked Avatar, his mind racing. Not worrying about the things that Avatar's confession explained, but what it meant. His mind was racing, trying to come up with answers to questions he didn't even know. Then, finally, after more than five minutes of silence, he finally knew what to say.

"Make me one. Make me a vampire."

Avatar didn't reply at first, his face emotionless, his gaze locked on Nickolas. Then he spoke, but what he said was not what Nickolas had expected.

"You don't truly know what you'll be giving up. Everything that you are will be gone the second my teeth sink into your neck. You will never be Nickolas again. He'll be dead, gone. Are you ready for that, to give up all that you know? Are you ready to die ? Few are."

"I am" he replied almost immediately, a stubborn look flashing over his face a second, before his face turned into a mask of resolve. He would not change his mind. Avatar knew that face, knew what Nickolas wanted, what he needed. He also knew that it was not that easy. There were things that needed to be said first, things that Nickolas needed to hear. He would not understand at first, for none did. But it was the way it had to be done.

"I cannot make you a vampire Nickolas" he said.

"Why not?" was the reply he got from Nickolas, whos face showed that he did not understand, could not understand, why Avatar would not make him a vampire.

"Because no one can make you a vampire. No one can be made into a vampire. It's just not something that can be done."

"You're lying. How can you be one if no one can be made into one? What, you were just born like this, a vampire? I don't believe that. I don't know why you're saying these things, but I don't believe you. Turn me into a vampire, or look into my eyes and tell me why you don't want to do it. And don't tell me it's because you can't because I don't believe you."

Avatar had not expected the sudden burst of anger from Nickolas. The last words out of his mouth had been shouted, and Nickolas face was now a mask of anger, and confusion. Nickolas didn't understand, couldn't, and that made him angry.

Avatar was quiet for a little while, only looking at Nickolas, watching him, wondering how he could tell him this without freaking him out completely. Without making him more confused, more angry. He came to the conslusion that there was no way for him to break it to him gently, to tell him so he would understand, so it would not be confusing. There was only one way from him to do this. He had to tell Nickolas, tell him now, before the poor man got even more upset, more angry, more confused, more lost.

"Believe me when I say that I cannot make you a vampire, turn you into one..." he raised his hand, stopping Nickolas' words before they were voiced, his eyes begging Nickolas to let him finish.

"Nickolas, I can't turn you into a vampire. I can't, because you already are a vampire!"