- Text Size +
For the longest time he stood there frozen, unable to say a word or form a simple though. His mouth hung slightly open, frozen in mid-word as Avatar had uttered the words that had shattered his existence.

You already are a vampire

A vampire

You are a vampire


His mind was racing, his vision blurred, his face pale and his breath uneven, as he tried to deal with this new information he had been given. A part of him knew what Avatar said was true, but that part was overwhelmed by the part that fought against it. The part of him that didn't want to believe it was true, didn't want to face what he would surely have to face once he aknowledged Avatar and what he had been told about himself.

Avatar said nothing, he only looked at Nickolas with those ice blue eyes, his bare chest still bunt, his body frozen, standing in the shadow filled part of the room. Nickolas had yet to close the curtains, that action not even crossing his mind as he struggled to come to terms with what he had been told.

Minutes passed as neither man said nothing, until finally Nickolas' mind seemed to have made a decision. The young man took a step closer to Avatar, a confused smile appearing on his face as he said, "what do you mean, I am already a vampire?"

Avatar smiled back at him, and though he wanted to walk over and put his arms around Nickolas, he did nothing. He needed to do this right now, to act the way he should have acted the first time he had felt the boy. Instead he had let his emotions run wild, he had let it get out of control, and now he had to fix that.

"I mean just what I am saying Nickolas. You are a vampire, therefore, there is no need for me to turn you into one."

"How can that be?" Nickolas asked confused. "I can walk in the light of day. Sunlight doesn't actually burn me, not the way it burns you anyway. So if I'm a vampire, how come I don't burn like you do when I stand in the sun?"

Avatar smiled as Nickolas asked his question, which made the young man even more confused than he already was. When he was done asking, Avatar said nothing for a few seconds, and when he opened his mouth, what he said was not at all what Nickolas had expected.

"I want you to do something for me Nickolas. I want you to forget everything that you've heard about vampires. Forget everything that you think you know. Forget it all, and wipe your mind clean. And then I'll tell you what we are really like, and why normal people can never be what we are."

Nickolas looked even more confused for a moment, before he nodded. Taking a few steps closer to Avatar he sat down on the bed, his eyes locked on the vampire, his mind working hard on forgetting, though that was in truth all but impossible. After waiting for a few moments, Avatar continued.

"It will be all but impossible for me to explain everything to you right now. I doubt I even know all there is to know myself, and I have been around for a while. But I guess the best place to start is with the basics.

There are two types of vampires. Those that are mortal, and those that are immortal. Those that Live, and those that has Become. You see, a vampire is not something you can be turned into, it is something you are born as. There are normal humans out there that carries vampire blood in them, but that does not make them vampires. Normally vampires are born of humans, and do not know what they truly are until they meet others of their kind. Even then they might not truly understand it. No one know what makes the vampire blood become active in some and stay dormant in some. All we know is that we are born vampires.

A vampire can live his or her entire life as a mortal, never meeting others of it's kind, never Becoming what we are. In order to Become immortal, a True vampire must bite a mortal vampire. The saliva of an immortal vampire carries something that changes the mortal vampire, something that makes them Become. They die, and then they are reborn as the next sun sets, to see their first night as an immortal, as a True Vampire."

He paused then, to let it all sink inn. Nickolas' eyes had not left his own once as he had spoken, and now they were filled with new question, as realization started to hit the man. He knew that Nickolas would have question, most did after they had been told what they were.

Under normal circumstances he would not be the one to answer any questions, he would not be the one to tell this tale. Normally, he would not even be around when it was told. He was here now though, and it was up to him to tell Nickolas all he needed to know. To tell him the truth, and then watch as Nickolas himself had to deal with it.

"You have questions" he said matter of factly, giving Nickolas a smile as he got ready to answer whatever question the man thought up.

"So," Nickolas began, his voice breaking, making him pause for a few seconds. "So, I am a vampire." Avatar only nodded, waiting for Nickolas to continue. "How do you know?"

Avatar was a bit shocked at this, yet did not show it. He would have thought Nickolas had figured that out by now, but it seemed the man was still too confused to see what was right in front of him.

"I can feel you, just as you can feel me. I've been able to feel you since the first time you set foot into the Red House. I felt you there, saw you through the crowd, saw you looking at me. I felt you, and I came to you. You remember?"

Nickolas nodded, remembering that first night, remembering the feeling that had crashed in over him, the feeling that had made him notice Avatar, the feeling of familiarity and bliss every time he was near the man. The same feeling that turned to hatred when he saw a young black haired woman. "The woman" he said, looking at Avatar, "is a vampire?"

"Yes, she is a mortal vampire" he replied, taking a step towards Nickolas, yet still staying well cloaked in shadows.

"I hate her" Nickolas stated. "Why do I hate her? I don't even know her, yet I know that I hate her as surely as I know that those are burns on your chest, and that the sun will rise tomorrow as it did today."

"You hate her because of her line" Avatar replied as he came even closer, taking it one step at a time, slowly, so he would not scare the man. He still didn't know how well Nickolas was dealing with all this new information he had been given.

"Her line? What do you mean?" Nickolas asked, his eyes gleaming in the sunlight that hit his face through the window.

"There are five vampire lines, five Bloodlines to which we belong. Every vampire has the blood from one of the lines in them, and this determines to which line he belongs. A vampire's line is his family, and each line is lead by the High Seat. The five bloodlines are Avalon, Arden, Ajax, Acacia and Aletha. The first two are also knows as the Latin Lines, and last three as the Greek Lines. The line is your family, and it is your line that will ultimately make you immortal, take you through your Becoming."

"So, my line will make me immortal you say?"! Nickolas asked, standing up, his eyes gleaming.

"That is the way it is done yes" Avatar replied, not understanding where Nickolas was going with this.

"What line am I?" he then asked.

"You are of the Latin Line of Arden, Nickolas" he replied calmly.

"And you?"

"I am of Avalon, the other Latin Line" he replied as calmly as before, still not understanding where Nickolas was going with this.

"So if what you say is true, then you cannot make me immortal?" Nickolas asked, taking a step closer to Avatar, his voice harsh now.

"It's not the way it is done no." Avatar knew now where Nickolas was going with this, and he didn't like it. Didn't like it because ever since he had met the boy he had been faced with this. Faced with the fact that he could not make the boy immortal, that he could not at'hia him.

"So why did you do it?" Nickolas all but screamed at his face, the anger showing itself clearly, his eyes gleaming dangerously.

"Why did I do what?" Avatar asked, fighting to keep his voice calm.

"Why did you play me like this? Why didn't you just bring me to the Head of my line or whatever. Why did you have to play with me first. Why did you have to make me fall for you, when you cannot be the one to make me immortal. When you cannot be the one to make me."

Avatar lowered his head and closed his eyes, unable to look at Nickolas' face, where tears were now running down his cheeks. He was unable to face the whole situation, now that it had caught up to him. He knew that he had been playing a dangerous game, a game there was no way he could win. But he had been unable to let Nickolas go. He had been unable to do what had to be done.

He knew he could not hide any longer, and raised his head again, looking into Nickolas eyes once more, trying not to let the anger in them get to him, trying hard not to show Nickolas how he truly felt.

"I never played you Nickolas. I was merely unable to let you go."

Nickolas shook his head, hie eyes closing for a few seconds. When he looked back, he avoided looking straight at Nickolas. "So you cannot make me immortal?" he asked, all anger gone from his voice now, only sadness left.

"It would be against all that I know, and also against the rules. I'm not allowed to make you immortal. Only the head of your line can make that decision, can have it done. And I am sorry for not taking you to him the first time I met you. I will make amends though. As soon as the night falls, I will lead you to him, and he will take it from there."

As the last word left his lips, Nickolas face was once again a mask of anger, anger he was doing a great job controlling. His eyes was gleaming again, as he took another step closer to Avatar, standing on the border between the sunlight and the shadow.

"If you will not make me immortal, then no one will" he yelled, just as he turned and all but ran out of the room. Avatar made a move to follow, but stopped at the border, unable to move over to the door, as that way was still bathed in sunlight. He could only watch as Nickolas ran thought his apartment and out into the newborn day.