- Text Size +
It had taken them one week to get to where they were now. Avatar said they were close to their destination, yet he seemed worried. At first Thiery didn't understand why, but then slowly realization hit him. Avatar said they were close, yet he could not feel anything. No familiar feeling, at least not beside the one he always felt around Avatar. He should be able to feel these vampires, yet he couldn't. And that worried them both. The week had seemed long at times, when they were walking in silence in a dark sewer, living on rats that tasted about as vile as anything could taste. Avatar said it was because of the sewers, because of what the rats ate, but Thiery didn't know if he believed him. He didn't like rats, and he couldn't wait until he could sink his teeth into something else. The first time he fed had been on the third night. By then his eyes were completely changed. They were a brighter, a cleared blue Avatar had said. He could see better than he ever could before, both during the night, and during the day. He had been surprised when he first felt the hunger, not quite sure what this new feeling was all about. It had started out with his hearing increasing. Suddenly he could hear every little movement that was made around him. He could hear when drops of water fell, the indescribable sound of a spider making his web, and the beating of a rat's heart. Not just one rat, but ten, twenty, a hundred. The sound of the beating hearts became louder and louder until they were all that he could hear. His head started to ache, his eyes started to hurt, and Avatar were looking at him with a small smile on his face. He understood then, and walked closer to the older vampire, smiling, feeling his teeth grow to their full length for the first time. "Hungry?" Avatar asked, the smile never leaving his face once. Thiery only nodded, and leaned in to kiss Avatar. Somehow the feeling of hunger was highly arousing. Avatar kissed him back, letting his hands run down the younglings back. "Time to hunt" he said after a while, and pulled away, ignoring Thiery's moan as he did so. "Come, and learn how it's done" he said, and started to walk away. Thiery didn't hesitate for even a second, but walked after his maker right away, eager to learn something new. ***** Catching the rat had proved to be somewhat of a problem, for the small thing clearly knew what they were, and that it was considered dinner. Avatar clearly knew what he was doing though, and caught one after only a few seconds. For Thiery, it was not as easy. It took him a while to learn how it was done. He had to sneak up on the rat, but in the right away. And what the right way was depended on the rat, or so Avatar said. His speed was eventually the deciding factor in it all. He was quite a bit quicker than the rat, and in the end that was the reason why he got the thing. According to Avatar, his speed would increase as he grew older, as he got more experienced. A vampire was always more vounerable in the beginning, not quite used to being what they were. As he held the rat, looking down at it and wondering where he was to bite it, Avatar moved to stand right behind him. Then he moved his hands so they lay over Thiery's, and his head so he was almost resting his chin in Thiery's shoulder. "Open your mouth" he said, and Thiery did as he asked. Then he gently moved Thiery's hands, leading the rat closer to the young vampire's mouth, until he held it right in front of it. "Just bite down, wherever you wish. It doesn't really matter where you bite on a rat. Just remember to stop drinking when you hear the heart has stopped. It won't kill you to drink the blood of a dead rat, but it just doesn't taste as good when it's dead." Thiery smiled a bit, turning his head to give Avatar a soft kiss on the cheek before he moved his head and hands to bite down on the rat. As he felt the first drops of blood enter his mouth, his world started to spin, and his knees gave out under him. Avatar it seemed had predicted this reaction, for he gently took a hold of Thiery keeping him from falling, and instead lowered them both gently to the ground. Thiery kept on drinking, trying to feed a hunger inside that seemed eternal. All too soon did he hear the heart stop, and an almost foul taste mixed itself with the blood's bitter and metallic essence. Avatar pulled the rat away then, not wanting Thiery to taste too much of the dead blood the first time he fed. Instead he handed him a new rat, and watched as Thiery drank, making sure to pull it away before the heart stopped this time. Seven rats Thiery had for his first meal, all taken as he was sitting down, leaning up against Avatar, the older vampire the only thing holding him up. As the last rat was taken away from him, Thiery turned, still unable to move much, yet he felt stronger than he had ever felt before. "That was…." "..amazing" Avatar said, completing his sentence for him. "Yes" Thiery replied, as he placed a soft kiss on Avatar's mouth. "You feel drained, yet stronger than ever, am I right?" Avatar asked, as he brushed some hair away from Thiery's face. "Yes" Thiery replied, "why?" Avatar looked at him and smiled. "I don't know. It's always like that the first few times you feed. It passes by the seventh day though." Thiery nodded, and leaned in to give Avatar another kiss. ***** The days after that had been filled with walking and feeding. They had done little else. Only three times did they lay down to get some sleep, and they never slept more that a few hours. The lack of sleep didn't affect them like it would people. At first Thiery found it weird, but after a while be got used to walking for hours at a time without rest. As Avatar had said, the numbness after feeding slowly went away, and by the seventh and last day of their journey it was gone, and he felt something completely different when he fed. Now the blood instantly made him stronger, sharpened his senses, making him feel the things he hadn't before. Now the blood made him feel good, though the taste hadn't improved. The first time it had been thrilling, but after that he had truly began to taste it, and it was definitely not what he wanted to spend eternity feeding on. ***** They sat in the sewers for a few hours, waiting for the night, neither vampire feeling anything that would indicate that another of their kind was around. This worried Thiery, but for Avatar it was agonizing. All they could do was sit there, even though he knew that he should be up there to find out what was going on. He knew this was the place, yet he felt no one here, and he knew that it had not been time for them to move yet. Not for another ten years at least. So why had they moved? Why were there no vampires above? These were the questions that repeated themselves in his head as he sat there waiting for the sun to set.