- Text Size +
I trudged into my room and collapsed, face down, on my bed. I groaned as I clutched the pillow under me. It was a few minutes before I heard my bedroom door creak open. No voice spoke, but I knew it was Morgan when she climbed up and straddled her legs over my waist, sitting on my butt. I felt her hands firmly start rubbing on my shoulders, and I could feel myself relaxing a little.

“Wanna talk about it, Bay?” Her voice was so tender and full of concern. I turned my head and looked back at her, through the corner of my eyes.

“I don’t know. This whole thing just really sucks,” I moaned as I turned to burry my face back in the pillow. I felt her weight lift off of me and re position to a spot, next to me, on the bed.

“I know it’s aggravating, but at least Kevin doesn’t stand a chance at winning custody over you, now,” she sighed. I turned onto my back and positioned myself sideways on the bed so that I could rest my head in her lap.

“Isn’t it kind of messed up, for me to be happy, though? I mean, now, Mason is loosing his dad…not to mention, the fact that his mom died today.”

“Mason is a lot better off, here with you and Nick. Come on, your aunt was killed because of your uncle. You wouldn’t want your cousin to fall victim, now would you?” she responded softly. Her fingers were twirling my curls around themselves. My fingers were linked together and resting on my stomach as I tried to blink away tears that were forming in my eyes.

“I guess you’re right,” I sighed heavily. “I just really hate the fact that he has to go through what I did.” I shot up of the bed and began pacing my bedroom floor. “Loosing your parents sucks, you know that. The fact that Mason is loosing his dad because he decided he wanted to be a druggie?!? God! It’s like my uncle doesn’t care how he is affecting everyone else!”

“Maybe your uncle will realize that he needs help.” She sat on the bed, watching me pace. I felt a few tears, finally, escape my eyes and trail down my cheeks. That’s when I broke and the tears started flowing like Niagara. My shoulders shook as I let the sobs rake over my body and I felt Morgan’s arms encircle me.

“I just…” I let my head fall onto her shoulder, just like she mentioned before. At least, her shoulder had nothing better to do. “It’s just not fair!”

“I know it’s not, Bay,” she soothed, rubbing my back. She was the only one I trusted enough, to break down in front of. I don’t even know if I could cry, like a baby, in front of any of the other guys…just Morgan.

“How could God let this happen? What did we do?” Morgan led me over to sit on the bed. I still leaned into her as she kept her arms around me.

“Shhhh…you didn’t do anything Baylee, neither of you did,” she pulled away and lifted my chin so that our eyes locked. She used her long sleeve to wipe the tears from my cheeks. “Things happen, Bay, and none of us understand why. Maybe this is what it will take for Kevin to realize that he needs help, I don’t know. But you can’t think, even for a second, that this is happening because you did something. We’ve talked about this, before. We should never feel guilty or responsible for things that are out of our control. Mason needs to know that, too.”

“I know,” I sighed, again. Her hand still rubbed slow circles on my back. “I just don’t know why nothing can ever go right!”

“A lot of things have gone right, Baylee. It’s just hard to see those things, right now. Your emotions are clouded and that’s okay, but if life were all rainbows and fluffy bunnies, how could you appreciate it?”

“I don’t like bunnies,” I huffed, with a faint smirk.

“Okay fine, rainbows and fuzzy monkeys, sunshine and chirping birds, fuzzy monkeys wearing furry Batman slippers…whatever.” She rolled her eyes at me. “You get my point.”

“Yeah, but I was trying to avoid having to admit that you had one,” I replied, with a laugh.

“Funny, Bay. Do you feel any better?”

“A little,” I nodded slightly. “But you know what would really make me feel better?”

“Dare I ask?” I answered her with a smack from my pillow. “Oh, no you didn’t!”

“What are ya gonna do about it?” I asked her, with a smirk. She narrowed her eyes at me. “Hey, be nice and remember that I am emotionally vulnerable, right now.”

“Vulnerable, my rear end, Baylee,” she laughed as she hit me in the butt with the pillow. I turned to look at her and tilted my head with mock offence.

“That wasn’t nice.” I stuck out my bottom lip into a pout, but I knew she wouldn’t buy it. She hopped off the bed and came towards me.

“You started it!” she yelled. I exited my room and raced down the stairs, with her hot on my trail. Morgan swung the pillow as we reached the landing at, the bottom of the stairs. Unfortunately, for her, I ducked and her pillow sailed into Nick’s stomach.

“You two are in for it!” Nick turned and grabbed a pillow from the living room. Next thing I know, Howie and Mason had joined in and there is a huge pillow war, taking place, in our living room. Pillows sailed in every direction and all of us were laughing hysterically.

“AAAAAAAH!” I saw, through the corner of my eye, Howie hit Nick in the…urm…happy place, with a pillow. Nick was clutching….himself, but kept swinging at Howie. Howie ran out the front door, followed by Nick and Mason. Morgan and I looked at each other with wide grins.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” she asked mischievously.

“Hose or sprinkler?”

“You get one and I get the other?” She made the suggestion and I just looked at her.

“This is why you are my best friend, Morgs!” I nodded seriously, just before we took off, out the back door. We headed around the side of the house. I signaled to her and she turned on the sprinkler system as I hit them with the hose, at full blast. Howie screamed like a little school girl as Mason ran to try and tackle me.

“BAYLEE THOMAS WYLEE LITTRELL!!!” Nick screamed as he, too, headed in my direction. Morgan was on the other end of the front yard, laughing wildly and I was about to be attacked.

“This isn’t funny, Morgan! HELP ME!” I shouted across the lawn, at her, as I turned and made a beeline for the house. Taking the steps, two at a time, I made my way into my room. I quickly locked myself into my bathroom.

“Baylee?” I heard Morgan’s whisper from outside the door. “Let me in, I locked them out of the house and Nick’s face is turning purple.”

“We’re dead as soon as they figure out how to get back in,” I snickered as I opened the door for her.

“Tell me about it!” She sat next to me, with our backs leaning on the tub. I slung my arm over her shoulders and pulled her into a hug.

“You’re the best Morgan,” I smiled at her. “I don’t know what I’d do with out my bestest friend.” I saw a light blush rise in her cheeks. “And, you gotta stop blushing every time I compliment you! Good grief,” I rolled my eyes and snickered as I leaned over to kiss her forehead.

“I don’t blush!”

“Yeah, tell it to the judge,” I laughed, which seemed to make her blush worse. Girls are so weird! I gave her a tight squeeze and ruffled her curls. Sighing heavily, I got to my feet and held a hand out to her. “We better go let them in, before we loose our lives.”

“Yeah,” she spoke softly, “I guess we should.”

After we went downstairs, we found the others had already gotten into the house and were lounging around the TV. Nick looked up, when he saw us, and said it was time to take Morgan home. The ride, to drop her off, was pretty quiet and, before I knew it, Nick and I were back home. He pulled me into the office. I had forgotten about this little talk that he wanted to have. None the less, I sat down in the big leather chair and picked up my dad’s journal off Nick’s desk. I flipped through the pages as Nick began to talk.