- Text Size +
I pushed the cart down the electronics aisle of Best Buy as Morgan read the backs of various different boxes. It was almost noon, now, and we were shopping for the things we needed to execute our plan. Nick gave us a credit card to buy everything that Morgan would need. She was the only one who could really pull this plan together but, on the other hand it wouldn’t work without everyone else’s help.

“Hey, Morgs, check out this computer! It’s really cool, we should get it, too,” I said admiring the pink Apple Notebook.

“I already have a computer,” she said, looking a me funny before turning back to the box, in her hand.

“But, it’s really outdated, Morgan.”

“We’ll just buy the programs we need and install them on your computer. That would be cheaper.”

“But why do that? You know that I’ll never use those programs again. You would, so you should be the one to have them.”

“Stop it Baylee,” she groaned as she turned the corner.

“FINE!” I called, smirking, as I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket. Flipping it open, I hit the speed dial to our house number.

“Hello?” Nick answered quickly.

“Hey, Nick. I was wondering…”

“What?”

“There’s this really cool laptop here…” I began. Morgan came around the corner and stopped in her tracks as she saw me on the phone, with a wide grin on my face.

“Well, is it something she needs? I told you to get whatever you needed, to do the project,” he sighed with a hint of irritation.

“See, the thing is…her computer is too outdated to do what we need but she insists that it would be cheaper to buy the programming and install it on my computer. However, you know I’ll never use the programs again, so I don’t see the point in doing it that way,” I explained to Nick.

“So get it for her.”

“Thanks, Nick. I needed your say on it because she would stand here and argue with me over it,” I grinned widely as she glared at me.

“Okay, see you later then.”

“Bye, Nick.” I closed my phone and stuck it back in my pocket. Crossing my arms, I leaned them on the handle of the cart and smiled at her. “Guess what, Morgs.”

“I’m outnumbered,” she let out a knowing sigh. Giving me the evil glare, she reluctantly picked up the laptop box and examined it, before placing it in the cart. After Morgan found everything we needed, I tossed in a few movies and some music. Lisa picked us up and took us to their apartment, where the three of us unloaded all of the new equipment.

“So where do we start?” I asked as I looked around at all the boxes of equipment, on her bedroom floor.

“With the computer, Baylee,” she snickered with a roll of her eyes. Can you believe, it took us almost three hours to get everything unpacked and set up?!?! Who knew this would take so long? Once it was all set up, we grabbed a bag and exited her apartment.

“Who do we start with?” I asked, as we descended the stairs of the apartment building.

“Um, let’s start with Mason. After him, we’ll do you, Nick, Howie and AJ…then we’ll go from there.”

“Sounds good. Let’s go.”

We spent the last two days, before school started, getting things ready. It was the night before we went back to school and we were trying to get the project finished. Morgan sat on her bed, computer on her lap, typing and clicking away. I sat next to her, back against the headboard and head on her shoulder.

“See? You just click this and drag it into the other window…then…you drop it onto the other graphic. See?” I stared blankly at the screen as I watched her work. This was all a bit confusing to me. I’m not a computer dummy but I had no clue about any of the programs she was using.

“I’m lost,” I confessed, lifting my head briefly. Morgan giggled, glancing down at me.

“It’s not really that hard, it takes practice, just like football.”

“This is nothing like football, Morgan. Football doesn’t take much brain, this…well, this takes some serious intellect,” I chuckled. I sat up and took a long drink from my bottle of water, and then I laid down on the bed, next to her.

“Football just takes a different kind of intellect, Baylee. You’re smart,” she smiled, ruffling my hair. I shifted to my side, propping up my elbow and resting my head in my hand.

“Not nearly as smart as you are, Morgs.” It was the truth, she totally had me beat in the brain area. Of course, her cheeks were now flushed, which cause me to grin. “Are you almost done? It’s pushing midnight, already.”

“Yeah, just the finishing touches. Nick and AJ hijacked Kevin, today, right?”

“Yep, he’s at our place, tied, bound, and gagged,” I laughed loudly. “I really hope this works.”

“I’m sure it will, Baylee. Let’s go. It’s done,” she grabbed my hand and pulled me off the bed. We, practically, ran all the way to my house. We huffed as we barged through the door.

“WE GOT IT!” I screamed as we rounded the corner. Nick, Howie, AJ, and Mason came charging into the room and we all surrounded Kevin, who was tied to a chair in the middle of the room. Morgan put our plan into action. Kevin had no choice but to watch, as Mason’s face flashed onto the TV.

“Dad. I don’t really hate you but I DO hate what you have become…”

“We miss the old Kevin…” a blonde fan’s face flashed across the screen.

“You’re killing us Kevin…” Aj’s raspy voice spoke as various pictures, from when the Backstreet Boys were first formed, scrolled over the TV.

“There are so many people who…” Nick’s blue eyes were seen next.

“…look up to you…” my own face came next.

“…and support you.” Howie was next.

“We love you.” Kevin’s eyes popped out of his head as my dad’s face came to the screen. Morgan was able to edit out clips, from old videos, this one happened to be from an interview where my dad was talking to the fans. But, his voice was so sincere and I could see that Kevin’s eyes were starting to tear.

“You need help.” another fan’s face, I think her name was Julia, showed a deep concern. The next shot showed a huge crowd of fans.

“WE MISS YOU!” they all screamed.

“You’re not the same…” Mason’s voice backed a photo of him with both of his parents.

“…but there’s still a way…” I saw my own face again.

“…to change things…” Nick’s voice spoke softly. More family pictures covered the TV screen.

“…and set things straight…” AJ’s face appeared, with tears evident in his eyes.

“…the way they should be.” Howie’s voice finished the sentence, as more pictures scrolled.

“Can’t you see…” the next shot was of the fan who threatened Kevin. Her name was Lenni and she was actually the one who rounded up all the other fans that appeared in the video. Evidently they have some kind of fan website, or something.

“…EVERYBODY!” this shot was of my dad, from their old music video.

“…is only…” this girls name was Mare…everyone kept calling her the queen of something. I was curious, but we didn’t have much time to ask questions.

“…trying to help you.” My voice concluded the thought.

“You’ll never know…” Nick’s appeared, backed by some of the fans.

“…how much…” two girls, both named Kelly, shouted from behind Nick.

“…you impact…” Mason walked up and stood next to Nick.

“But, this isn’t about us…” my voice accompanied my face. But the shot included Mason and Nick.

“…this is about…” a fan named Steph spoke, then the smaller group of fans behind her chimed in.

“YOU!” they shouted.

“We care, Kevin…” Nick walked through the center of the small group of girls.

“…even if you don’t.” AJ joined Nick in front of the fans. The screen cut over to another collage of photos with Mason, Kevin, and Kristin. One at a time, bad photos covered the TV. Each one depicted Kevin at his worst. When he was drugged up, passed out, screaming, or just plain unhappy.

“Look at yourself.” Howie’s voice came across soft and gentle as more photos of Kevin appeared. Next, the screen glazed over with shots of newspaper clippings of famous people who died from drug overdose. Pictures of addicted teens and adults adorned the TV along with an occasional clip from a news broadcast.

“Is this what you want to be?” Nick’s face came onto the screen, but other photos flashed behind his head.

“Mom’s gone, dad…” Mason’s voice cracked as tears filled his eyes.

“…and you’re pushing us away…” the four of us chimed together.

“Is it worth loosing your…” Mason’s stuttered as tears rolled down his cheeks.

“…family…” my dad’s face returned to the screen.

“…your friends…” AJ’s raspy voice cut through, followed by a huge group of fans.

“…your fans, just for a high?”

“If you keep going down this path…” my voice was accompanied by old family video clips.

“…you’ll die…” Nick’s voice took over as the clips switched to those of their old performances. Howie’s voice was the next to take over…

“…and unhappy, lonely, miserable man.”

“Think about it…” Mason’s face filled the screen before it cut out to a wide shot. The new shot covered the group of fans and the five of us guys.

“We’re ready to help, when you’re ready to accept it!” we all chimed together.

“Please…” Rose, one of the fans by Nick, pleaded.

“...let...” Ashley, a fan, standing by Howie, continued.

“…us…” two girls, both named Amy, chimed in.

“…help…” my dad’s face cut in before being replaced by Nick, Howie, AJ, Mason and I.

“…you.” I smiled as the screen went black. Morgan did a great job, with the whole video. I did a double take as the screen flashed again, settling on Morgan’s desk chair. We saw her walk around the camera and sit in the chair.

“Kevin,” she sighed. “I know I’m not really family, and you don’t know me well, but I have to say something. Cut the crap, Kevin.” Morgan leaned forward, closer to the camera. “You and I both know that you aren’t happy. You know you need help. Forget about your ego and throw your stupid pride out the window because, believe it or not, it doesn’t make you any more of a man…it makes you less of one. Suck it up and get help!”

I smiled at Morgan, enclosing her into a tight hug. I kept my arm around her as we all looked down at Kevin. AJ slowly reached down and slipped the gag off Kevin’s mouth. All of us stood there, waiting…waiting for some kind of reaction from the older man. I tightened my grip on Morgan, as she laid her head on my shoulder.