- Text Size +
The whole situation was really getting to me. I was mad that I got grounded. I was mad that Nick was mad. I was embarrassed and mad that Morgan said all of the things, that she did, and now, I was being dragged home like a scolded puppy! Come on, it’s not like I am two…I’m fifteen and I should be able to make my own choices.

Morgan and I walked, in silence. I didn’t dare to open my mouth and I don’t think she…

“Alright,” she stopped and faced me. “let me put this in perspective for you. Let’s imagine that Luke asked me out on a date…”

“Luke is a jerk.”

“I know. But he asks and I accept.”

“WHAT?!?!?” I scrunched my eyebrows, looking at her intently. This was not what I needed to hear, right now.

“I said ‘Let’s imagine’.” She rolled her eyes and pulled me down, to sit on the curb. “He says that he’s going to pick me up at 6 o’clock. I come, to you, and tell you all about it, and that I will come by at 8 o’clock, so I can tell you what happened on the date. You look at me, much like you are now, and tell me that I better be there right at 8 because you will be waiting to hear every detail.” She linked her fingers, and locked eyes with me.

“I don’t like where this is going,” I sighed, loudly.

“Alright, stay with me here. So, I go on the date and you are at home, doing whatever. Well soon it turns 8 o’clock, but I’m not there. You figure it’s no big deal; I must just be running a little late.” She giggled a little and continued, “Huh, the clock hits 8:15 and you start to pace the floor. You figure, ‘Oh, I’m sure she’s fine.’ but you can’t help yourself, as you make laps around your room.

“Now, it is 8:20 and I still haven’t shown up. Your eyes are locked on the clock as your mind begins to swirl with all the possibilities, of what could have gone wrong. The minutes drag out and the next 10 seem like a year, but now it’s 8:30…I’m still nowhere, in your sights. Did Luke try something? Did he talk me into it? Were we in an accident? Did some weirdo get me, while I was walking to your place? The possibilities are endless.” Her eyes stayed glued to mine, as she painted this picture in my head. I couldn’t say anything…what could I say?

“Ah…as if the minutes couldn’t tick by any slower. Panic sets in, as the clock flips to 8:35, and you’re looking out the curtains. It’s 8:37, and you’re calling my mom, frantically asking if she’s seen me…she hasn’t. What could be keeping me? I promised that I would be, at your house, by 8…now it’s 8:40. There is still no sign of me and there is a fresh hole, in the carpet, from your pacing.

“A millionth glance, to the clock, reveals that it is now 8:43. Panic is flowing through your veins as you think about horror movies and the crap you see, on the 10 o’clock news. Kidnappings, torture, murders, accidents, life threatening injuries…death…anything could have happened and there was no telling what it was. Now, it’s 8:44 and you’re ready to pull out your curls. Another glance at the clock…another lap around your room…8:45…another peek out the curtains reveals me, walking up the driveway. How do you feel, Baylee?”

“Are you insane?!?!? How could you make me worry, like that?!? Didn’t you think I would notice?” I stood to my feet and peered down at her. She had that glint, in her eye as I continued. “You said, you promised!” My voice rose. I could really feel the concern and panic, in my gut, as if it had really happened.

“Whoa…why are you upset?” She stood up, titling her head, acting all defensive.

“You said, that you made a promise to be there by 8 and you weren’t! Do you have any idea, how badly I would freak out?” Well? It was the truth! I care for Morgan more than any of my other friends…she’s tied with my family and the guys!

“Oh no, you can’t be mad at me, Baylee!” She shouted, crossing her arms. Stomping a foot and sticking out a lip she shouted, “That’s not fair!”

“Yeah, it is fair!” I scrunched my eyebrows and crossed my arms. “If you would have been there when you said, you would be, I wouldn’t get mad!”

“You’re so mean!” She took a step towards me, bringing her nose, almost, to mine. Her voice dropped, to barely above, a whisper, “it was only 45 minutes, Baylee.” The realization, of what she had just done, hit me.

“I hate it, when you do that,” I sighed, in defeat. My arms uncrossed and dropped to my sides. I hung my head, a little, and sat back down on the curb.

“Not a good feeling, is it?” Oh, I knew it couldn’t be that easy…she was going to drag this out a little more juuuuuuust to make sure that I got the point.

“No, and I get what you’re trying to do.” I rolled my eyes and let out a deep sigh, “I guess, I owe Nick an apology.”

“See? I knew that you’d come, to your senses.” She giggled as we continued on the path, to my place. It wasn’t long before we were walking up the driveway. I turned to Morgan and gave her a hug. I was taken by surprise when she grabbed my shirt collar, stopping me from heading to the tree.

“What? I thought I was going back up to my room.”

“You thought wrong,” she tilted her head and dragged me, by the shirt, to the front door.

“No, Morgan! You can’t! He’s going to be so mad,” I looked at her, with pleading eyes. She wouldn’t really make me face Nick, right now, would she?

“You knew that, when you snuck out. It’s time to face the music, Baylee, and you know it.” Her hand reached out and, before I could stop her, she rang the doorbell. I hung my head, as the front door swung open.

“Yo, Nick! Come see what the Morgan dragged in!” AJ shouted, laughing at his own dumb joke. I stood, stiff and silent, waiting for the storm.

“Oh, thank God!” Nick came running into the room. I could have passed out, when he pulled me into a hug…what did AJ give him?

“Nick…I…you were right. I shouldn’t have broken curfew and…when I did, I should have called. I was wrong to argue with you and…” I drew in a deep breath. Talk about a blow to a guy’s pride, especially with Morgan and AJ watching the whole scene. I really…really wanted to dig my self a hole, at that point. Sure, it was my fault that I was even in the situation, making this apology…but it didn’t make it any easier. Hey, do me a favor and remind me not to put myself in these positions, anymore?

“Baylee…” Nick started to interject, but I cut him off. Maybe that was another no-no, but I did it anyways. If I didn’t get it all said, then it might never get said.

“Sneaking out wasn’t right, either…and it didn’t help anything. You’re my guardian and…” another sigh escaped my lips. This was hard! “…I need to get over the fact that you aren’t my dad because you’re the closest thing I’ve got, now. Shall we agree on three weeks? Is that fair?” I hung my head, as I finished my ‘speech’. The thought, of a three week grounding, made me groan, inwardly.

“Baylee…” Nick started to chuckle…he CHUCKLED! What was up with that? “You aren’t entirely to blame.”

“Say what?!?” My head popped up to look, at Nick, and then I glanced at Morgan and AJ. AJ had a satisfied look, on his face, and Morgan just smiled.

“I may have…overreacted…a little. Breaking curfew and not calling me does require some form of punishment, but I may have…jumped the gun, a little. I was worried and upset and I wasn’t thinking straight…I shouldn’t have been so harsh.”

“Is he feeling okay?” I pointed my thumb, at Nick, and looked back, at AJ.

“Yes, I’m fine. I decided that we could call it good at a week and a half, of grounding…half a week for breaking curfew; half for your arguing and bad attitude; and half for sneaking out and scaring me, half to death.” Nick offered me a small smile.

“Really?” I looked at him skeptically, “You’re serious?” He responded with a nod. I smiled back and we hugged again. “I’m really sorry, Nick.”

“I know you are,” he responded, as we continued to hug. As we broke apart, we locked eyes again, “Now, say good night to Morgan and head up to bed.” He gave me instruction before leaving the room, with AJ.

“Um…about my comment, earlier…you know…the whole ‘so called’ best friend thing…” I rubbed the back of my neck. Will this constant feeling, of being a complete foolish moron, ever leave me?

“I know, Bay.” She grinned and stepped into my arms. I tightened my grip, around her, as the scent of her shampoo drifted to my nose. Mmmm…strawberries! “I’ll see you in school, on Monday.” Pulling away from me, she turned to the door. My fingers wrapped, around her arm, as I gently turned her back to me.

“Morgan,” My right hand reached up, to cup the side of her face, and our eyes locked. “You…you really are my best friend and I…” I swallowed the lump, in my throat, as I looked down at her. There was something in her eyes, but for once, I couldn’t read what it was. “…I don’t know what I would do, without you.” Her crimson cheeks didn’t go unnoticed, by the way, but I didn’t ruin the moment by pointing it out.

“You’d be stuck taking advice from Sean,” she snickered, not taking her eyes from mine.

“Let’s not even think about that.” I chuckled, with her. I leaned down, my voice growing softer. “I owe you, Morgs. Thanks, for everything.” Closing my eyes, I laid a soft kiss, on her forehead.

“You don’t owe me anything, Bay.” She shrugged and lifted her hand, brushing it through my curls. “We’re friends…we’re supposed to be there for each other.”

“I know.” I offered a small smile. I turned around to see Nick walking through, towards the kitchen. “Hey, Nick. Will you take Morgan home? I don’t want her walking back, this late, by herself.”

“Sure,” Nick nodded. He grabbed his keys and started pulling on his shoes.

“Night, Morgan,” I whispered, looking down into her eyes, again.

“Good-night, Baylee.” She hugged me again. She walked, with Nick, out to the car. I stood there, until they were out of sight, before I went to my room. Flopping onto my bed, once I got there, I opened dad’s journal.

December 13, 2005

Dear Journal –

Leighanne LOST Baylee!!!!!!!! …
Chapter End Notes:
I know...I'm cruel, mean and twisted...sorry! Please don't hurt me, LOL!