- Text Size +
Soft music was playing and the lights were turned down low in Amanda's apartment. She smiled at him from across the table as they were eating the shrimp and angel hair pasta that A.J. had made.

"How does it taste?" A.J. asked softly.

Amanda smiled. "It tastes great. I really like it."

"Good, I'm glad you do."

"So, what's all been going on with the group and stuff?" she asked as she took a sip of wine.

"Well, we've been rehearsing for the tour. We've also been working a little bit on the new album."

Amanda nodded. "So, when does the tour start again?" she asked, knowing the answer already.

“You know when we leave,” he replied.

“Refresh my memory.”

"We leave in two weeks." A.J. said as Amanda put down her fork and looked away. A.J. got up and wrapped his arms around her. "Babe, please don't be sad. We'll be okay."

Tears came to Amanda's eyes. "How long will you be gone for?"

"We'll be gone for a month then, we'll come back for two days due to Thanksgiving."

"And after that?"

"We won't be back until the week of Christmas."

"Then I suppose you won't be back until the spring after that."

"Unfortunately, yes."
"I see," Amanda said as she began to cry.

A.J. held her tighter. "Everything will be just fine. It won't be as bad as it seems." A.J. stood up and led Amanda to the couch.

"I'm gonna miss you so much," Amanda said softly.

A single tear trickled down her cheek. A.J. lightly kissed it off. He smoothed out her hair and smiled fondly at her. He knelt down in front of her and took both of her hands as he began to sing.

"I'll never break your heart. I'll never make you cry. I'd rather die, then live without you. I'll give you all of me honey, that's no lie."

As cliché his moment was, Amanda couldn‘t help but smile. "I love it when you sing that to me," Amanda said as she squeezed his hands.

"I know," A..J said softly then stood back up. He kissed her lightly on the forehead. "Don't worry, we'll be just fine. Maybe we can work something out to where you can tour with me during your Christmas break. Would you like that?" Amanda nodded. "I'll see what I can do."

Amanda looked up at A.J. and kissed him softly on the lips. "I love you," she whispered.

A.J. smiled and kissed her back. "I love you too," he said.

They were about to kiss again, but the doorbell rang. A.J. groaned and rolled his eyes.

"I wonder who that could be."

"I don't know, but I'm gonna kill them," A.J. said with a chuckle. "I'll get it,” he said as he headed toward the door. He opened the door to see Howie, Kevin, and Nikki standing there. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We were on our way to the mall and we stopped by to see if you guys wanted to join us," Kevin said.

Howie peeked into Amanda's apartment. "Are we interrupting something?"

"You could say that," A.J. said flatly.

Amanda came to the door. "Hey, guys. What are you doing here?"

"We just wanted to know if you two wanted to come with us to the mall."

Amanda looked at A.J. "Do you want to go?"

"Sure, why not," he said half heartedly.

“Great, meet us at the food court,” Kevin said as they walked back to their cars.

Amanda looked over at A.J. “You really want to go?”

“Do you?”

“It’s something else to do besides watch me mope.”

A.J. lightly tapped her on the tip of her nose with his finger. “None of that,” he said then kissed her. “Go get your purse and we’ll go.”

“Okay,” she said then kissed him back.

They were the last to arrive at the mall. When they walked into the food court, they spotted Kevin, Howie, and Nikki right away. They were by the ice cream shop. Nikki waved them over and A.J. followed Amanda in their direction.

“Took you long enough,” Howie joked.

“Zip it,” A.J. said with a grin.

"So, where do we want to go first?" Nikki asked.

"Let’s go check out that new store called Ocean Pacific," said Howie. “I hear they have some really neat stuff.”

"Alright, let's go," said Kevin.

They all walked over to the store and looked around. Howie and Nikki headed to the shirts. Kevin went and looked at the hats. A.J. and Amanda tried on some sunglasses.

"Hey, these are cool!" A.J. exclaimed as he put on a pair of black sunglasses with oval shaped frames.

Amanda laughed. "You look like a bug with those things on."

A.J. grinned as he looked in the mirror. "I think I'm gonna buy them."

"Don't you have enough pairs of sunglasses?" Amanda asked.

"I could always use another pair," A.J. said as he walked to the cashier.

Amanda laughed and wrapped her arms around his waist. She drew her attention over to Howie and Nikki, standing by a rack of shirts. She smiled as she watched them banter. Howie put on a bright colored Hawaiian shirt. He turned to Nikki and smiled.

"How do I look?"

Nikki busted out laughing. "You look so stupid."

Howie pretended to be hurt. "Oh, thanks so much, babe," he said looking into her eyes.

Nikki quickly looked away and picked up another shirt. "Maybe this one would look better."

Howie grinned and took the shirt from her. Kevin walked up to them. He looked at Howie and laughed.

"A little early for Halloween don't ya think?"

Howie gave Kevin a sarcastic laugh. "Funny, Kev."

"Sorry, I had to say it. I'm gonna go down to the bookstore. I'll join you guys later."

"Alright, cool," said Howie.

Amanda walked over to them. "I'll join you, Kev. There's a book I wanna find."

"Fine by me," he replied.

"Do you wanna come, baby?" Amanda asked A.J. "Or do you want me to meet you somewhere?"

"You go ahead. I'm going down to Baker's with these two."

"Okay," she said then gave him a quick kiss.

She was walking out of the store with Kevin when Nikki stopped her. Amanda turned around when she felt Nikki loop her arm into hers.

“Can I talk to you for just a second?“

“Sure,“ Amanda said with a smile. “Kevin, I’ll be right there.“

“Okay,“ he said then kept on walking.

She turned to face Nikki. “So, what’s up?“

“Um, do you happen to know if Howie’s been talking about me?“

Amanda eyed her suspiciously and crossed her arms. “No…why?“

“No reason,“ Nikki answered.

Amanda grinned. “You like Howie.“

“Of course I like Howie, he’s my best friend. What kind of friendship would that be if I hated him?“

“No, you like him more than just a friend.“

“Don’t be silly. I was just curious, that’s all.“

“Right,“ Amanda said with a smirk.

“Look, I gotta go join Howie at Baker’s. Go have fun in the bookstore.“

“Alright,“ Amanda said as she watched Nikki walk away.

She chuckled to herself then walked into the bookstore. Kevin was browsing through the discount books when she walked up to him.

“What was that all about?“ he asked.

“Girl talk,“ Amanda said with a smile. “Come help me find a book.“

“Okay,“ Kevin said with a nod.

Amanda wandered over to the self help section. Kevin skimmed the titles for a second then turned in Amanda's direction.
"What book are you looking for?"

"A Woman's Guide to Happiness. I forgot the author's name though," she said as she continued to glance through titles. I think I'm going on a wild good chase."

"Maybe someone who works here can help. I'll see if someone can help us," Kevin said as he walked down the aisle.

Amanda dropped the book she was holding and shouted at Kevin. "Kevin, watch out!"

Kevin backed up from the ladder just as he heard someone gasp. On the ladder was a girl wjp was trying to catch her balance. Her arms flung in the air as she started to fall from the ladder. Kevin caught her before she hit the ground. He set her back down and blushed in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?"

The girl dusted off her clothes. "Yeah, I'm fine." She looked up at Kevin and froze. "Oh my..." the girl stated as she began to hyperventilate.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"You're. . .you're," the girl stammered.

"Kevin Richardson from the Backstreet Boys," he said in almost a whisper.

"Yeah," the girl said.

"What's your name?"

"Sarah."

Kevin smiled. "Nice to meet you. I'm really sorry for bumping you off the ladder. I wasn't paying attention."

"No, it's okay, really. It happens all the time."

"Really?"

"Well. . .no not really."

Amanda walked over to them in a rush. "Wow, are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Kevin caught me before I fell."

Amanda drew her attention over to Kevin and smacked his arm. "You should look before you walk, Kev."

"Hey, I told her I was sorry."

Amanda shook her head and ignored Kevin. "Anyway, can you help us find a book?"

"Sure, what book is it?"

"A Woman's Guide to Happiness. I can't remember the author and I don't even know where to start."

"That would be Shawna Peterson, and that book is actually sold out."

Amanda groaned. "Damn, I knew I should've ordered that book online."

"We can back order it for you and call you when it comes in," Sarah suggested.

"That would be great."

"Follow me to the counter and we'll get everything together."

Amanda and Kevin went to the counter. As Amanda was giving out the information to Sarah, she noticed Kevin studying Sarah intently. She eyed him with suspicion. Kevin looked over at her and glared.

"You're all set. The book should come in about a week."

"Thank you for all your help, Sarah."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day," Sarah replied while staring at Kevin.

"You do the same," Kevin said with a smile. "Maybe I'll see you around."

"Yeah. . .maybe," Sarah said, then went back to her work.

As they were leaving the store, Amanda reached over and pinched Kevin's arm. He jumped and looked at her in annoyance.

"What was that all about?" she asked.

"Nothing, I was just being friendly."

"I think you liked the looks of her," Amanda said with a laugh.

"Hey, I'm single and lonely. What do you expect me to do?"

"Why didn't you ask her out?"

"I think that would've been highly inappropriate after I nearly killed her by bumping her off the ladder," Kevin said with a straight face.

"Kevin, you'll never meet a girl unless you take a chance on one. Take my advice for a change. She seemed to like you too. I think you have a chance with her."

"Yes, but how can I be so sure that she was into me and not my persona?"

"You'll never know unless you take a chance. Look at me and A.J. I was just a fan when we first met. Now look at us, still together after all this time. It would've never happened if didn't take the chance."

"I don't know…" Kevin trailed off.

"Just think about it," Amanda said as she patted him on the back. "Come on, let’s go find the others," she said as she linked his arm with his. Kevin smiled and linked his arm tighter with hers as they continued to walk to the other side of the mall.