- Text Size +
Photobucket




Kevin walked into the book store where Sarah worked. He looked around and she was no where in sight. "Excuse me, sir," Kevin asked a man. "Is Sarah working here today?"

"She won't be here for another few minutes," the man said.

"Oh, okay," Kevin said.

He wandered over to the café of the bookstore and ordered himself a cappuccino. Kevin sipped in silence as he waited for her to arrive. A part of him wanted to get up and leave, but his heart was telling him to take a chance. About thirty minutes later, Sarah came rushing through the door. She appeared very flustered as he watched her. Kevin couldn’t help but to overhear her conversation with her boss.

"Am I late?" she asked her boss.

"Actually, you're thirty minutes early."

Sarah groaned. "My watch must be wrong," she said as she set her purse down.

"There's a gentleman sitting over there for you. He's been waiting about a half an hour."

Sarah looked over and saw Kevin sitting at a table drinking his cappuccino. She walked over to him and sat at the table with him. He softly smiled at her when she reached the table.

"Hi," he said with a smile, gesturing for her to sit down.

"Hi," she replied shyly as she took a seat across from him.

"How are you?"

"I'm okay. What about you?"

"I'm pretty good."

"Well, that's good. So, what are you doing here?"

"To see you," Kevin said straight faced.

"Me? Why me?" Sarah replied, in obvious shock.

"Because you're nice."

Sarah laughed softly. "You don't even know me."

"So change that. Tell me about you."

"What do you want to know?"

"Well, first of all do you have a boyfriend?"

Sarah hesitated for a moment then finally nodded. "My boyfriend's name is Keith."

"How long have you two been together?"

"Well, I've know him since eighth grade, but we didn't start going out until my junior year and I'm twenty-one now."

"That's a long time."

"Yeah, it is,” she said softly.

"So, are you from around here?" Kevin asked as he took another sip of his cappuccino.

"Well, I grew up in Oregon, but I moved down here to be with Keith," Sarah said flatly.

"You don't sound too happy about it."

"No, I'm happy about it," she said quickly.

Kevin raised his eyebrows and nodded. He sipped his cappuccino once more, smacking his lips loudly as he looked at her.

"What?"

"Nothing," Kevin said innocently.

"You don't believe that I'm happy do you?"

"I never said that. So, other than your boyfriend what else can you tell me about you?"

"Well, I'm really into art and music."

"So am I. What kind of music do you like?"

"I like all kinds. It just depends on my mood. I'm also a dancer, well…used to be."

“What do you mean, used to be?”

“I stopped dancing when Keith and I moved here. He’s a little protective of me.”

“I see,” Kevin said softly. “Well, maybe we could go clubbing sometime? Just as friend, of course."

"I really don't think that would be such a good idea."

"Why not? It's just two friends going out and having fun."

"I guess," Sarah said half heartedly."

"What about movies?" Kevin said, trying hard to read her emotions.

"I like all kinds of movies, but my favorite would have to be My Best Friend's Wedding. What about you?"

"Well, right now I like anything but Jim Carey movies." Sarah laughed. "I'm dead serious. Brian watches them all the time. It gets old after a while."

Sarah laughed again then caught Kevin staring at her. "What?"

"Nothing," Kevin said with a smile.

"You were staring."

"Oh, sorry, I just couldn't help noticing how pretty your eyes are"

Sarah blushed and laughed nervously. "Thanks."

"So, you and this Keith guy, are you two serious?"

"Well, it depends on what you mean by serious."

"I mean, like are you two engaged."

Sarah gave him a shocked look. "No, we're not engaged."

"Then how serious are you?"

"Pretty serious, I guess."

"Do you love him?"

"What?" Sarah said in obvious reluctance.

"I said. . .do you love him?" Kevin said in a horse whisper.

"I don't think--"

"Just answer my question."

"I. . .I. . . I really should get to work," Sarah said as she got out of her seat and walked behind the counter.

Kevin followed her. "Are you gonna answer my question or not?"

Sarah grabbed some books and headed to the shelves. "I don't have to answer that."

"Fine, don't answer me,” he said defensively. “Look, I gotta go. I'll see you later" Kevin disappeared into the many bookshelves.

He started to leave the store, but he changed his mind and made his way back over to the aisle, where she was putting away books. He tapped her on the shoulder she quickly turned around and stepped back.

"You know, you're gonna get me fired," she said.

"Go to dinner with me tonight."

Sarah chuckled. "Go eat dinner with you? You don't even know me."

"I don't have to," Kevin said as he stared deeply into her eyes.

"I have a boyfriend," Sarah said with one eyebrow raised.

"So we'll go as friends."

Sarah laughed at his perseverance. "You're very persistent, aren't you?"

Kevin grinned. "Only to girls I like. So, will you come to dinner with me? No, better yet come to the concert tonight and we'll go to dinner afterwards."
Sarah smiled. "Okay, I'll go to the concert and to dinner with you."

"Great," Kevin said. He handed her a backstage pass. "Show this to the bodyguard and they'll let you in the back way."

"Do you always walk around with a random pass in your pocket?" she joked.

"Just take it, please?" he begged.

"Okay," she said as she took it from him.

"See you tonight," Kevin said then left before she could change her mind.

Kevin walked through the doors of the book store. As he was passing the store, he looked through the window and saw her standing in the aisle, holding the pass. She was talking to a co-worker with a smile on her face while she showed off the pass. Kevin smiled to himself and quickly left the mall with confidence that the evening would be a memorable event.