- Text Size +
Photobucket



Kristin and Nick danced under the stars within the headlights of Nick's car. Soft music was playing in the rhythm of the waves. Kristin could smell the scent of Gravity come from the collar of Nick's shirt. Nick stopped dancing and looked down into Kristin's eyes. He slowly moved closer and kissed her gently on the lips then wrapped his arms around her.

"I haven't had this much fun with a girl in a long time," Nick said softly.

"Why not?" Kristin asked.

"Most girls don't treat me like I'm normal."

"Well, Hon, you are normal."

"I know, but most people tend to forget that."

"Well, I'm not like most people," Kristin said.

"And I'm thankful for that," Nick said as he let go of Kristin. "You ever stood at the shore of an ocean?"

Kristin shook her head. "To be honest, this is my first time on the beach."

Nick took her hand. "Come on, I wanna show you something." The two of them walked to the shore. "Now, stand right here."

Kristin waited and soon the tide splashed up against her feet. "Oh, my, gosh that's cold!" Nick laughed as she danced around with the cold water. "What are you laughing at?"

"The first time is always the worst. After that it's great."

Kristin waited for the tide to come back. She closed her eyes tight and felt the water come up to her feet. This time, the water wasn't as cold.

"Hey, that wasn't so bad," Kristin said with a smile.

"See, what did I tell you," Nick said as he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind.

Kristin looked on into the ocean and saw something jump out of the water. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"That," Kristin said while pointing to the object again.

"Oh, that was a dolphin. They jump out of the water at night sometimes."

"Oh, I've never seen a real dolphin before."

"You're kidding?"

"Well, they don't exactly have an ocean in Chicago."

Nick laughed. "Okay I see your point."

"One of these days, I'll take you out on my boat. Don't you think that would be fun?"

"A boat?"

"Yeah."

"You have a boat?" Kristin said with a grin.

"Yeah, I just got one not long ago. I take all my girlfriends on it," he said in a sneaky manner.

"I can't believe you have a---wait a second. Did you say girlfriends?" Nick nodded. "Wait a minute, does that mean I'm---" she trailed off.

"Well, if you want to be. I'm hoping you will."

Kristin laughed nervously. "Well, yeah, of course I'd be your girlfriend. I mean, what girl wouldn't? I mean, she'd have to be crazy not to. Of course--"

Nick interrupted her with a kiss. "Are you through?"

Kristin drew in a breath. "Yeah, sorry I was just in shock."

"Why would you be in shock?"

"Well, I mean you've got all these beautiful girls who would love to have you. Why would you choose me?"

Nick looked Kristin in the eyes. "Kris, most of those girls only want me for my looks or my money. They don't see the real me. You do, and that's why I like you. Not only are you yourself, but you're beautiful too."

"Me? Beautiful? No guy has ever told me that before," Kristin said shyly.

"Well, those guys were blind. They don't know you like I do."

"Are you sure we're being rational about this? I mean we've only know each other for a week. Maybe we should--"

Nick placed his finger on her lips. "You're thinking too much. I know it‘s fast, but it‘s okay."

"What about your fans?"

"What about them?"

"Won't they be upset that you have a girlfriend? I mean, you are the most popular Backstreet Boy."

"Kris, my fans understand that I have to have a love life too. Sure, there are a few out there that get mad, but that's their problem. I've had other girlfriends and it's not been that big of a deal. Besides, if they know you're good to me...they'll learn to love you."

"How many other girlfriends have you had?"

Nick smiled. "Does it really matter?"

"No, I guess not," Kristin said with a smile. She leaned against Nick and closed her eyes. "Just out of curiosity, how many girlfriends have you had?"

Nick laughed. "Okay, if you must know I've only had three serious girlfriends."

"And--"

"And they dumped me. I didn't dump them."

Kristin gave out a sigh of relief. "That's good to know."

Nick lifted up her head with his fingers under her chin. "Kris, I promise you I won't do anything to hurt you. I'm not that of kind of guy. So, you don't have to be afraid."

Kristin smiled. "I'm not afraid."

Nick kissed her then slowly led her back to his car. He looked at the clock. It was almost one in the morning.
"I should get you home."

"Yeah," Kristin said as she sat back in her seat.

Nick smiled and turned on the ignition. They drove to her apartment with the radio on low. The song playing was beginning to get on Kristin's nerves.

"Mind if I change the station?"

"No, go right ahead."

Kristin changed the station and the song "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" was on. Kristin laughed and Nick rolled his eyes.

"Gee, I wonder who this is," Nick said with a grin.

"I don't know, but I hear the guy singing right now is really cute."

"Cute? He's not cute. He's a guy, not a little boy."

Kristin laughed. "Oh, yeah, I forgot, you hate being called cute."

Nick laughed. "Yeah, well, it's one of my pet peeves."

Kristin grinned and sat back in her seat. "So, how big is it?" she asked while they were heading to a stoplight.

Nick nearly slammed on the brakes. "What?"

"How big is it?"

Nick swallowed. "How big is what?"

"Your boat, silly. What did you think I was talking about?" Nick blushed then Kristin gasped. "Nickolas Gene Carter!" she said while smacking him on the arm.

"Sorry, but I couldn't help it. I mean, you just blurted it out like that. What was I supposed to think? I am a guy, you know."

"Well, I certainly hope you're a guy. You'd make a very ugly girl," Kristin said while laughing.

"Oh, I feel loved," Nick said while driving again. Soon, he pulled up into the parking lot. He turned toward Kristin. "You've made me happy tonight."
"You've made me happy too. God, pinch me and tell me I'm dreaming." Nick pinched her on the arm. "Ow! I didn't mean for you to actually pinch me, you goof!"

"Aw, I'm sorry did I hurt you?” he cooed. “Here, let me kiss it and make it better." Nick kissed her arm. "There, is that better?"

"No, you missed a spot," Kristin said while smirking.

"Where?"

"Right here," Kristin said while pointing to her lips.

Nick smiled and kissed her, brushing his tongue across her bottom lip. "There, is it all better now?"

"Much better, Kristin said.

"Good," Nick said while getting out of the car. He took her hand and they walked up the steps. “So, I found myself a house earlier this week.”

“You did?”

“Yup, I’m finally moving out of my parents’ house. Besides, they’re moving to L.A. and I wanted to stay here. It was perfect timing.”

“You’ll have to take me over there some time,” she said with a smile.

“Definitely,” Nick said then kissed her.

She kissed him back and then dished her keys out of her purse. Kristin unlocked the door and there they found Rachel and Brian asleep on the couch.

"Aw, don't they look cute?" Kristin whispered.

"Yeah...let's wake them up," Nick said with a wide grin.

"Nick, you're evil," Kristin said with a chuckle.

Nick smiled and kneeled down next to Brian. "Oh, B-Rok. Wake up, sweetie. Time to get up, stud muffin," Nick said in a sing song voice.

Brian stirred, then opened his eyes. "Holy, geez, Frack!"

Nick busted up laughing. "Sorry, I had to get you up somehow."

Brian got up from the couch, waking Rachel up. She looked around in confusion "What's going on?"

Brian laughed. "Nick woke me up."

"Oh," Rachel said while rubbing her eyes.

"Well, we better go. We'll see you guys tomorrow," Nick said.
"Okay," Kristin said as she gave Nick a hug.

"Good night," Brian said.

"Good night," Rachel said as she shut the door. She turned around to see Kristin standing there with a big grin on her face. "What are you so happy about?"

"So, um, yeah, Nick took me the tonight…and he sorta asked me to be with him exclusively."

Rachel looked at her and smiled. “He asked you?”

“Yeah,” she replied softly.

“He sure didn’t waste any time, did he?” Rachel said with a laugh.

“No, he didn’t,” she said softly. “Do you think it was too fast?”

Rachel shrugged. “That depends on you two. If you’re comfortable with how it’s going then it should be fine. Are you having doubts?”

“Oh, god, no,” Kristin said with a laugh. She placed her hands on her hips and smiled. “I’m dating Nick Carter. This is going to be sweet!”

“Kristin--”

“Luxurious dates, rubbing elbows with rich and famous, and traveling around the world with him.”

“Um, Kris--”

“Plus he just got a new house. I bet it’s really nice.”

“Kristin--”

“Ooh, did you know he has a boat?”

“Kristin!” Rachel shouted with an irritated sigh.

“What?”

“Aren’t you getting a little carried away?”

“No,” Kristin said straight faced.

“There’s more to Nick than just money, you know.”

Kristin glared at her. “Look who’s raining on the parade now.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and sighed. “Never mind,” she said while waving her hand in the air. “I forgot that I’m never right.”

“Screw you!” Kristin said as she followed Rachel into her room. “You are just jealous.”

Rachel laughed in disbelief. “Jealous of what?”

“Because I got Nick and you’re still waiting on Brian.”

“Oh, yeah, that must be it,” she said in sarcasm. “You know, I love you to death, but sometimes you are a piece of work.”

“You know what, I don’t need this,” Kristin said as she stomped out of the room. “Good night!” she shouted then slammed her door.

Kristin plopped down on her bed and angrily took of her jewelry. She stared at herself in the mirror of her dresser. With a loud sigh, she picked up the phone and called Nick’s number.

“Hello?” he said cheerfully.

“Nick,” Kristin said softly.

“Well, hey, there, cutie.”

“Hi, listen, I need to ask you something.”

“What’s up?” he said with a yawn.

“Do you think I’m shallow?”

Nick snickered. “I sure hope so. Otherwise I got myself into trouble,” he joked.

“Nick, I’m being serious.”

“You’ve not shown me any reason to believe that.”

“Good,” she said with a sigh of relief.

“What’s wrong?” he asked softly.

“Nothing, I just needed to ask that,” she replied. “I should get some sleep.”

“Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night.”

“Good night,” Kristin said then hung up the phone.

With one last glance at herself in the mirror, she nodded in approval. “Not shallow,” she whispered then turned the light off.