- Text Size +
Photobucket



Sarah woke up the next morning in Kevin's bed. At first, she had forgotten where she was. She let out a yawn and the memories of the night before came flooding back when she felt the pain on her cheek. The smell of pancakes reached her nose as she rubbed her cheek. She suddenly realized that she was hungry and walked toward the kitchen. There stood Kevin at the stove cooking breakfast. Sarah leaned against the doorway and admired him. She smiled when she noticed his tall, well built stature. He's really cute, she thought to herself. Kevin put some pancakes on a plate and turned around. He smiled when he saw her standing there.

"Good morning," he said as he sat down at the table.

"Good morning," Sarah said shyly.

"I was wondering when you were gonna get up," Kevin said as he piled some pancakes on his plate. "Have a seat,“ he said while offering her a chair. “I hope you like pancakes."

"I love pancakes," Sarah said as she sat down then put three of them on her plate.

"Good," Kevin said with a smile.

Sarah took a bite of one of her pancakes. "Mmm, this is really good. What's in them?"

"I can't tell you. It's the Richardson family secret. It's been in my family for many years."

"Well, whatever's in them, they're the best pancakes I've ever eaten."

"Thanks," Kevin said.

"You're quite welcome," Sarah replied.

"How's your face? It looks like the swelling's gone down some," he said while observing her cheek.

"It's a little better, but it still hurts," she said as she continued to cut up her pancakes.

Just then the phone rang. Kevin picked it up. "Hello?" he said, still chewing. "Oh, hey, Bri. What's up? Yeah, everything's fine," he said with a soft smile as he held the phone between his head and shoulder. "I don't know yet. If we decide not to go I'll call you. Bye," Kevin said then hung up.

"Who was that?" Sarah asked.

"That was Brian. He was wanting to know if you were okay from last night."

"Yeah, I really do feel sorry about that," she said softly.

Kevin smiled. "Don't worry about it. It wasn't your fault."

"I know, but I can't help feeling bad about it."

"It's all in the past now." Kevin was silent for a moment. "Would you like to go to the beach with everyone this afternoon?"

Sarah smiled. "That sounds like fun."

"Good, then let's go get ready so we can meet up with everyone."

Sarah picked up her plate and started to put it away. Kevin stopped her. "No, don't worry about that. You go ahead and take a shower first."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll do the dishes. You just go get ready."

"Okay," Sarah said as she headed toward the guest bedroom.

Sarah picked out her clothes and got into the shower. The water felt good on her aching back. After she got out of the shower, she put her clothes on and began drying her hair. When she finished, there was a knock on the door.

"Sarah, are you almost finished?" Kevin asked.

Sarah opened the door. "Yeah, I just got to put on my make up. I can do it in the other room if you want."

"No, it's okay. Take your time," Kevin said as he walked in. He placed his towel on the edge of the bathtub and sat down.

Sarah started putting on her foundation and noticed the bruise on her face. She tried to hold back her tears, but they seemed to take on a life of their own. Sarah turned her face from Kevin as she tried to wipe them away. Kevin walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"Why did he have to do this to me?"

"Shhh, it's okay. You're safe now," he said while stroking her hair.

Sarah looked up at Kevin with fear. "Do you think it's possible he could know where I am?"

"How could he? He'd already been taken in before I got there. He doesn't even know me, so how would he know where I live?"

"He's always found me before."

"He's not going to find you this time," Kevin said gently.

Sarah sniffled. "I'm sorry. I'll just finish getting ready in the other room," she said as she picked up her make up bag.

"Okay," Kevin said. He looked down at Sarah. Her eyes were shimmering with tears. He gently caressed her face. "We don't have to go to the beach if you don't want to."

"No, I want to go. Besides, it would do me some good to get out."

"Are you sure?"

Sarah smiled. "I'm positive. Now, go get ready and let’s go."

"Okay," Kevin said.

Sarah started to leave, then turned around. "Thanks for being such a friend," she said then left the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.