- Text Size +
Photobucket



Sarah sat in the kitchen looking at the job ads in the newspaper. She sighed as she circled another possibility. Just then, Kevin came in all hot and sweaty. She smiled when she saw him.

"Hey! How was the gym?" she asked.

"It was pretty good. It felt good to work out again. Haven't had a full work out in a while," he said as he took off his shirt. "I'm gonna go take a shower. I'll be back in a bit."

"Okay," Sarah said as she went back to her paper.

A few minutes later, Kevin came out of the shower with fresh clothes on and walked into the kitchen. "What are you doing?" he asked as he looked through the refrigerator.

"I'm trying to find me a new job, but I'm not having much luck with that," Sarah said as she threw her pen down and rubbed her temples.

Kevin got a bottled water from the fridge and sat down next to her. "You don't need a new job."

"But I want to help out on all the expenses. I'm living here too and I think that I should be able to help you out a little."

Kevin chuckled. "I'll say it again you don't need a new job, but if you really want one, fine with me. I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life."

Sarah stared blankly at Kevin. "Wow, a guy who lets me do what I want. That's a first."

Kevin smiled and stood back up. "I'm gonna start some laundry. You need anything washed?"

Sarah shook her head. "I already washed my laundry this morning."

"Okay, well I'll be downstairs doing my laundry. If someone calls for me just come down and bring me the cordless."

"Okay," Sarah said as she stared back down at the paper. "God, there is nothing in this stupid town!" she said as she chucked her pen across the room.

Letting her chair scrape against the linoleum floor, she stood up and stretched her muscles. She let out a sigh of frustration as she picked up the paper and went to her room. After days of living with Kevin, she had finally gotten the room set up the way she wanted it. The bed was centered in the room with a night stand on both sides. Her lavender curtains draped from the large window. All her clothes were hung up in the walk in closet, and she managed to buy new stuff for her bathroom. It was completely empty when she moved in, but Kevin helped her get everything in order. Sarah opened a drawer on her dresser and pulled out some shorts and a top to sleep in then took them with her to the bathroom. She ran warm water over a wash cloth and washed her face then towel dried it after she was finished. Taking a look at herself in the mirror, she could see there were dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep. The bruise on her cheek was a light shade of brown, barely visible to the eye. Sarah sighed as she remembered that night. She shook the memory out of her head as she began to brush her teeth. When she was finished, she changed into her pajamas then returned to her room. Sarah snatched her favorite teddy bear from her bed and sat down on the bay window. She looked up at the stars from her window. The room was dark and silent. Nothing was stirring but the flickering lights of the lit candles in her room. Sarah was in the middle of day dreaming when she heard a light tap on her door. She looked up and there stood Kevin.

"Mind if I come in?"

"No, not at all," Sarah said in almost a whisper.

Kevin sat across from her. "What are you doing sitting here in the dark?"

"Just thinking," she said, fiddling with her teddy bear's ear.

"Anything you want to talk about?" Kevin asked as he scooted closer to her.

Sarah shook her head. "No, I'm okay," she said as she shifted her shoulders. "God, my neck and shoulders are killing me from looking at that damn paper all day."

"Come here, you look tense."

Sarah moved closer to him and he began to massage her neck and shoulders. She couldn’t help but to drop her head and sigh of relief.

"Mmm, that feels good," she murmured.

"You're so tight. You need to relax," Kevin said as he continued rubbing her shoulders.

Sarah shut her eyes and breathed in deeply. She didn’t now why, but something about the way he was touching her made her feel depressed. Her hands began to shake as she fought back her tears. It was no use, her tears had already started to fall down her cheek. She quietly sniffled, hoping he wouldn‘t notice.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked gently.

Sarah let out a soft sob. Kevin wrapped his arms around her for comfort. She leaned against him and covered her face with her hands.

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's rough on you."

Sarah turned around and looked up at Kevin. "I'm sorry, I know I must annoy you when I do that."

Kevin's green eyes softened as he wiped a tear from her cheek. "No, it doesn't annoy me at all. I understand you're going through a difficult time."

"I've never met anyone as understanding as you are. I don't know what I'd do without you," Sarah said as she placed her hand on his cheek.

Their eyes intensely locked as Sarah slowly moved forward. They're lips were almost touching when they were interrupted by the phone. Kevin jumped and cleared his throat and stood up.

"I'll go get that," he said then swiftly left the room.

Sarah sat there in bewilderment trying to soak in what had happened. She tightened her grip on her teddy bear she got up and stood by her door to eavesdrop on Kevin.

"Hello? Oh, hey, Mom! Yeah, I know, I've been busy." There was silence then he spoke again. "A girl?" He chuckled. "Oh, that must have been Sarah. She's staying here with me. It's a long story. I'll explain later. Do I like her?" Sarah moved closer to the doorway. "Oh, Mom, you gotta meet her. . .she's. . .she's wonderful. No, she's not my girlfriend. . .though I kind if wish she was."

She heard Kevin move down the hallway so she ducked away. Hearing the door to his room close, she smiled at what just heard. Her mind was racing with a million thoughts.

“He wants to be with me?” she whispered to herself.

Sarah heard Kevin open his door again and walk down the hallway. She quickly stepped away from the door and sat on the bed. Kevin peeked his head into her room and smiled.

“Sorry, that was my mom. She calls about once a week.”

“That’s sweet,” she said with a smile.

Kevin silently came into her room and sat beside her. “I was thinking that I could help you find a place to stay while I’m gone.”

Sarah stared at him for a moment. “Oh, that’s right, you’re leaving in two days,” she said softly.

Kevin cleared his throat and stared at the wall. “Unless you’d like to join me. I mean, you’d be safe. There’s no way he could find you and there’s always security around.”

“Kevin, I don’t want to be in the way.”

“You wouldn’t be,” he said with a smile. “I like having you around. It sure as hell beats being alone.”

Sarah snickered. “You won’t be alone. You’ll have the guys, the crew, and thousands of girls screaming your name.”

Kevin nodded then gently placed his hand on her arm. “Just think about it,” he said then stood up.

Sarah watched him as he left the room. Her eyes fixated on her reflection in the mirror. The idea of being with Kevin was exciting but scary at the same time. She wasn’t sure if she was ready to give her heart to another man. Sarah knew Kevin was nothing like Keith. It was going to take some thinking on her part. The only thing she was sure of was the fact that she didn’t want to rush things.

Sarah continued to contemplate the options while sitting on her bed. She was unaware that Kevin had walked back into the room. Her eyes shifted in his direction and she jumped when she saw him.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you,’ he said softly.

“How long have you been standing there?”

“Not long.”

“Oh,” Sarah said as she drew in a breath.

“I just realized that I almost forgot to say good night.”

“Oh, that’s okay,” Sarah said softly. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Kevin said with a warm smile.

She watched him as he left the room. Her voice was caught in her throat as she quickly stood up and walked over to the door.

“Kevin?” she choked out.

“Hmm?” he said as he turned around.

“I want to go with you. On the road, I mean.”

He smiled and stepped over to her. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” she replied with a nod. “I think it would do me some good to get away.”

“Great,” Kevin said then kissed her cheek. “I’ll call management in the morning, good night.”

“Good night,” Sarah echoed while holding her cheek.

She stood in the hallway in bewilderment, wondering if she’d made the right decision. Sarah sighed and went back to her room. She scooped up her teddy bear and laid on her bed. With a sigh of apprehension, she closed her eyes and hoped that everything would work out in the end.