- Text Size +
Photobucket


Nikki lazily laid on her couch, flipping through a magazine as the thunder roared outside. She let out a sigh and sat up. The house was quiet except for the pitter, patter sound of the rain falling against the window. It wasn’t exactly the way she wanted to spend her Saturday afternoon. Nikki put down her magazine and was about to turn on the TV when she heard the doorbell ring. She got up to answer it and there stood Howie with a bouquet of assorted summer flowers. Nikki smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"What are you doing here?"

Howie smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist. "We're going on a picnic."

"Howie it‘s raining."

Howie chuckled and nodded. “I know, I didn’t exactly plan on the weather taking a turn for the worst.”

“So, what now?”

“Indoor picnic?” he said with a smile.

Nikki laughed and pulled him inside. “You are too cute.”

Howie kissed her and held her close. “I was being serious,” he said.

“Serious to an indoor picnic?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, then,” she said with a giggle.

“Go, sit down. I’ll set it up.”

“Okay,” she said as she sat on the couch.

Howie went back to his car and came back with a picnic basket and a blanket. Nikki watched him as he set up the picnic in the middle of the living room. He moved the coffee table against the wall and sat down on the blanket. Howie smiled as he motioned for her to join him.

“You are so adorably corny,“ she said as she sat beside him.

“I know,“ he said as he opened the picnic basket.

Nikki took a peek inside the basket. Howie had packed ham and cheese sandwiches, apples, oatmeal cookies, potato chips, and a small bottle of grape juice.

"You picked all my favorite foods. That's so sweet."

Howie grinned. "I try,” he said as he handed her a sandwich. “It’s still cold.”

Nikki took the sandwich from him and smiled. She watched him as he pulled out the rest of the food and open the bottles of grape juice.

“Does it taste okay?"

Nikki kissed him on the lips. "Perfect."

"Good, I was hoping I didn't screw anything up."

"You didn't. Everything's great. I just remembered something. I thought you had rehearsal today."

"We were supposed to, but Nick hurt his leg earlier today. So we canceled."

"Nick hurt his leg? What did he do now?"

Howie shook his head. "I don't know. He's always doing something. I just found out a couple of hours ago."

"But he'll be okay for the tour, right?"

"As far as I know, yeah."

"That's good," Nikki commented, then took a sip of her drink.

"Speaking of tour, are you still coming with us?"

"Of course! You know how much I love touring with you guys."

"Good," Howie said as he placed his hand over hers. "It wouldn't be the same without you."

Nikki smiled and squeezed his hand. "I kind of have a question for you."

"What’s that?”

“What exactly is happening to us? I mean, this is all happening so fast. I’m not even sure what to think.”

Howie didn't speak. He stared at her with a smile. Nikki stared back, waiting for him to say something.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing, I was just thinking of something."

"About?" Nikki asked, searching his face for the answer.

"Remember when we were little how we used to pretend we were boyfriend and girlfriend for fun?"

"Uh huh," Nikki answered, smiling at the memory.

"Do you also remember how we promised it would be for real when the time was right?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you think the time is right yet?"

Nikki stared into Howie's deep brown eyes and smiled. "Yes. . .I do."

Howie smiled back and kissed her. "Me too."

“But that still brings me back to my original question.”

“Which was?”

She sighed and looked at him. “Are we moving too fast? Howie, I don’t want to lose you.”

“How would you lose me? Nikki, we’ve been best friends since the day our moms put us in the play pen together. Do you really think we could mess this up?”

“I don’t know,” she said softly. “It’s just scary.”

“Okay, well, let me ask you a question.”

“What?”

“How can we move on to the next level if we don’t try?”

“I guess we can’t.”

“Exactly,” he said as he moved closer to her. “Nikki, I’ve loved you for as long as I can remember. All those guys you dated before me…I secretly wanted to be with you. I can’t pretend anymore. I want you in my life in the way as I see you.”

“Which is?”

“My soul mate,” he said then kissed her.