- Text Size +
Photobucket



A.J. walked down the street, mindlessly going wherever his feet took him. He was extremely frustrated with himself. He loved Amanda with all his heart, but sometimes their fights became too much to handle. He found himself wondering how long they could last with the constant fighting. A.J. grit his teeth as he kicked an empty can down the sidewalk. It clanked in the darkness as he plopped down on the misty grass. He didn’t feel like going home, but he had nowhere to go. A.J. let out a frustrated sigh and covered his face with his hands. He heard the sound of a car approaching in his direction. He looked up and saw Howie’s black Corvette stopping in front of him. He stared at the car as Howie rolled down the window.

“There you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“How did you find me?”

“I figured you were roaming around here somewhere,” he said as he unlocked the door. “Get in.”

“I don’t really feel like company, D.”

“So, you’re going to sit in some stranger’s front lawn and sulk? Come on, Amanda’s worried about you.”

A.J. snorted and looked at Howie. “Right, Amanda’s worried about me? That’s a laugh.”

“Stop being a moron and get in the fucking car,” Howie said as he opened the door.”

A.J. sighed and got into the car. He buckled his seatbelt and looked at Howie as he turned down the radio.

“So, why is it a laugh for Amanda to be worried?”

“Because she broke up with me, remember?”

Howie shook his head. “She didn’t break up with you.”

“Were we standing in the same theatre? She said it loud and clear. She said she didn’t want to have anything to do with me.”

“She might’ve said that, but she didn’t mean it.”

“And how do you know that?” A.J. scoffed.

“Just trust me, I know.”

“D, don’t pull that crap on me. Tell me how you know.”

“I just got back from her place. The poor girl’s heartbroken.”

“Really?” A.J. said in shock.

“Yes, Alex, she really loves you.”

“I love her too.”

“You two need to work on your communication skills. I mean, you two fight more than any couple I know. It’s sickening.”

“A good argument gives good reason for make up sex,” A.J. said with a grin.

“You see, this is the kind of stuff that pisses her off. Alex, you and I go way back. I know you’re better than this. I love you, man, but you’re letting this Backstreet persona effect your judgment.”

A.J. sighed and nodded in agreement. “I know, and I don’t want to lose her.”

“Then stop being a prick and think about her for a change.”

“What do you think I should do?”

“I have a plan,” Howie said as he took a right turn.

“What is this magnificent plan?”

Howie stopped at a floral shop and grinned widely. “Wait right here,” he said as he went inside.

A.J. waited patiently and Howie cam back out with a dozen red roses. He took them from Howie and stared at them for a moment.

“Okay, I have flowers…now what?”

“I’m going to drop you off at her place, but don’t go in right away. Wait a little bit after Nikki and I leave. Then call her on your cell phone before you go to her door. Get her talking to you before you approach her in person.”

A.J. nodded. “Okay, makes sense.”

“Good,” Howie said as he pulled into the parking lot of Amanda’s apartment complex. “Just wait around for a bit. I’m going up to get Nikki,” he said then got out of the car.

A.J. stepped out of the car and sat at a picnic table. He put the roses down on the table and lit a cigarette. After a couple of drags, he saw Howie come back with Nikki. They walked up to him and Nikki placed her hands on her hips.

“Whatever you do, be gentle,” she warned.

“Is she that upset?”

“A.J., she’s sick of fighting all the time. She really loves you. You gotta stop doing this to her.”

“I know, I already talked about this with Howie.”

“Then squash this thing so you guys can have a happy relationship. Please, I’m begging you.”

“I will,” he said as he threw away his cigarette butt.

“Good,” she said then followed Howie to his car.

A.J. watched them leave the parking lot and sighed. He knew what he had to do. After waiting a few more minutes, he decided it was time to call Amanda on his phone. She picked up after three rings.

“Hello?” she said in a nasally voice.

A.J. felt a cringe of guilt. It was obvious that she’d been crying.

“Hey, baby, it’s me,” he said gently.

“I thought you’d never call,” she said while sniffling.

“Well, I did,” he said as he stood up.

He was silent for a moment then grabbed the roses from off the table. A.J. sighed and walked up to her apartment.

“Hello?” she said.

“I’m here.”

“You got quiet,” she said softly.

“I have a surprise for you,” he said as he stood in front of her door.

“What is it?”

“Open your door.”

A.J. waited a moment and he saw her open the door. Tears came to her eyes as she stood in the doorway.

“Can I come in?” he quietly asked.

She slowly nodded and let him inside. A.J. led her over to the couch and sat beside her. He put the roses down on the coffee table and stared deeply into her. He put his hand under her chin and kissed her gently on the lips.

“Alex, I’m so--”

“Shh, don’t talk,” he whispered. “Just kiss,” he said as he began to kiss her on the neck.

Amanda softly moaned as he brought his lips back up hers. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and held him close. A.J. gently rubbed her back as she cried against his chest. He gently pulled her back and looked at Amanda with loving eyes. He studied every feature on her face and his fingers through her soft, brown hair. Their eyes locked with absolute passion and he gently kissed her. He looked at her again and wiped the tears off her cheek as his lips curled into a slight smile.

“I love you, Panda,” he said as held her closer.

“I love you too,” she said as she shed more tears.

A.J. kissed the tears off her face. “Don’t cry, baby, I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.”

“You’re not?”

“No,” he whispered as he cupped his hands around her face. “I’m sorry, baby. I really am.”

“I’m sorry too.”

“You don’t need to apologize. This was my mistake,” he said as he stood up. “Come on,” he said as he held his hand out to her.

Amanda took his hand and they went to her bedroom. A.J. took his shoes off and laid on the bed. Amanda laid next to him as he pulled her close to him. They passionately kissed until they both grew tired and fell asleep in each other’s arms.