- Text Size +
Rachel was filled with excitement as she ran to Kristin’s room. Her heart was racing as she was about to burst to tell her news.

“Guess what?” Rachel said while bouncing around.

“You won a lifetime supply of Cheetos?”

“No!” Rachel said with a laugh.

“Just tell me, I don’t have the patience to keep guessing,” Kristin said as she shut her book.

“Okay, remember how I told there were tryouts for freshman to be on the junior varsity volleyball team?” she said as she sat on the bed.

“Yeah?” Kristin said in obvious annoyance. “Is this leading somewhere.”

“Yes, I promise.”

“Then get on with it.”

“Okay, okay. So, anyway, I tried out.”

Kristin rolled her eyes at the half assed story. “And you made the team, right?”

“Even better,” Rachel said with a grin.

“Just tell me the story and stop stalling,” Kristin said in a huff.

“Not only did I make the team, but the coach was so impressed that she put me on the varsity team!”

“Aw, Rach, that’s great!” Kristin said as she hugged her. “I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks, practice starts tomorrow. I’m so excited!”

“Have you talked to your doctor about this?” Kristin asked softly.

“Why, I’ve been playing volleyball since I was six. I don’t need to consult my doctor on this.”

“But what if something happens.”

“I’ve never had a problem before,” Rachel said in confidence.

“There’s always a first for everything.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “Why do you always do this?”

“Do what?”

“Try to rain on my parade. Every time something good happens to me, you find a way to show me the negative. I hate it when you do that.”

Kristin scowled. “Rachel, you have a heart condition. I’m sorry if I care enough about you to not want you to wind up in the hospital like--like--”

“Like two years ago, I know. Enough already, it’ll be fine,” Rachel assured.

Kristin sighed. "You know I'm always looking out for you and I only want what's best for you. But you’re an adult, so if this is what you want to do then I stand behind you all the way.”

“Thanks,” Rachel said as she smiled. “I gotta call my mom and give her the good news.”

Kristin snorted. “Oh, joy.”

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Kristin sighed and looked over at Rachel. "You know I've never liked your mom. Personally, I don't know how you can talk to her after all that she's done to you."

"I know, but she's my mother. I can't turn my back on her."

"Do whatever you want, but I still don't like her."

"Well, whatever I'm still going to call her," Rachel said as she left Kristin's room.

Rachel was walking down the hallway when she heard the doorbell ring. She kept on walking and answered the door. She snickered when she saw A.J. and Amanda standing the doorway kissing.

"Now there's a sight to see," Rachel said with a smirk on her face.

A.J. and Amanda parted. "Sorry," Amanda said while blushing.

Rachel laughed. "It's okay. Come on in,” she said as she let them inside. "So, what brings you by?"

"We were on our way back to my apartment when we decided to come see what you two were up to," Amanda said as she sat on the couch with A.J.

“We‘re not up to much. I think Kristin‘s studying and I‘m just doing diddly squat," Rachel replied.

“Who was at the door?” Kristin asked as she walked into the living room. She looked over and saw A.J. and Amanda sitting on the couch. "Oh, hey, guys!"

"Hi, Kris. How are you?" Amanda asked.

"I'm great. I see you two made up," she said with a smile.

"What gave you that idea?" A.J. asked with a smirk.

Kristin laughed. "Well, anyway you two aren't the only ones who are happy. Rachel over here made the volleyball team."

"You did?" Amanda said.

"Yeah, I did," Rachel said with a smile.

"That is so great! Congratulations!” Amanda exclaimed in enthusiasm.

Rachel laughed. "Thank you."

"I say we all go out and celebrate," Kristin suggested.

"Oh, Kristin, I can't. A.J.'s making me dinner tonight," Amanda commented

"Oh," said Kristin in disappointment. She looked over at Rachel. "So, I guess it's just you and me."

"Um, actually, I can't either. I already have plans to play basketball with Brian tonight."

"So, I guess I'm flying solo tonight."

"You can come with us if you want. Maybe he can invite Nick."

Kristin let out a sarcastic snicker. "Yeah, right. The boy didn't even talk to me last night."

"Nick didn't talk to you last night?" A.J. asked while grinning widely.

Kristin pouted. "No."

A.J. got an even bigger grin on his face and chuckled. Kristin stared at him in suspicion and placed her hands on her hips.

"What are you laughing about?"

"Nothing, except I have a pretty good idea of what's going on with Nick."

"What?"

"Don't worry about it. Leave it to me to fix this."

"Should I trust him?" Kristin asked Amanda.

A.J. put his hand over his heart and pretended to be shocked. "You don't trust me? I'm hurt."

Amanda laughed and kissed him on the lips. "Don't worry, he knows what he's doing."

"Thank you. Well, I gotta get back to the studio," A.J. said as he stood up.

"Oh, then I guess we should go. We'll see you guys later," Amanda said as she followed A.J. out the door.

"See ya!" Rachel said.

"Bye," Kristin echoed.

"So, what do you think is going on with Nick? Or do you even want to know?" Rachel asked Kristin.

"I don't know what's going on. I guess I'll find out," she said half heartedly. "Well, I better get back to studying."

"Okay, I'm gonna go call my mom," Rachel said, then went to her room.

Sitting on her bed she dialed her mom's number on her phone, which was shaped like big red lips.

"Hello?" her mom answered.

"Mom?"

"Rachel, is that you?"

"Yeah, I have the greatest news."

"Well can it wait. . .I kind of have company," her mom said in almost a whisper.

Rachel's smile drew to a frown. "Yeah. . .sure, I guess."

"Thanks, we'll talk later."

"Okay. . .hey, mom!" Rachel said quickly. "Mom. . ." no answer, just a dial tone. Tears formed in Rachel's eyes as she hung up the phone. "So much for having a mother that cares," she whispered to herself and silently cried on her bed.