- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Not been beta read except by us on our own so please excuse any mistakes or if you're feeling generous point it out so that we may correct it.
Thank you.
HIAB – 11

Nick winced as soon as he opened his eyes. Groaning softly he tugged the blanket tighter around himself and reached for his phone. Squinting at it he disregarded the missed calls and messages that he noticed were from Kevin and dialled his supervisor’s number.

Nick sighed in relief when Jake answered after two rings. “Morning Nickolas. How’re you feeling?”

“Not good at all,” Nick said with a soft groan. “May I skip work today?” Nick requested politely.

“Of course you may. Rest up kid. I hope you feel better soon,” Jake said gently.

Nick smiled slightly, “Thanks Jake. Hope the meeting goes off well.”

Jake smiled, “Don’t worry Nick, I’m sure it will. Rest up and let me know if you feel ok to come into work on Monday.”

Nick hung up the phone and curled back up in bed before sending Kevin a short text message.

‘Hey feeling quite ill. Taken the day off to rest. Hope the meeting goes off well.’

Kevin walked into the conference room and nodded at Robert as he took a seat at his right. Robert who had been doing something on his phone nodded back and smiled at Kevin.

Kevin didn’t bother with the discretion the others were showing and looked pointedly at his watch as Maurice Stanton hurried into the conference room.

When Kevin saw that Stanton didn’t even have his files in order and was checking them over after entering he began tapping his pen against the table while pushing his sleeve up to once again look at the time.

“Robert I’m going to get late for my next meeting if we continue at this rate.”

Kevin’s deep and calm voice caused Stanton to swallow and look up at Kevin and Robert.

“I’m-I’m ready to start, just waiting for Mr. Nickolas Carter to grace us with his presence,” Stanton said in a cocky tone.

Kevin leaned back in his chair and picked up a glass of water. “He’s not coming, you may begin,” he said dismissively.

“What?! Why not?” Stanton asked angrily.

Kevin made him wait while he finished drinking before keeping the glass gently back on the table and looking at Stanton. “Do I look like I’m sitting here to answer such questions Mr. Stanton? Ask his supervisor if you’re so curious as to why an intern is not present at a meeting he wasn’t meant to attend in the first place.”

Stanton turned to look at Jake who shook his head, “I told him he’s not needed here today.”

“But..” Stanton began.

Jake calmly interrupted him, “Mr. Stanton he’s my intern. I felt he was not needed here today and told him so. I don’t see the need to discuss this further. It was my decision to make. If you wanted my intern here or required his assistance any further on your report you should’ve asked me and I would’ve arranged it.”

Stanton swallowed as the twenty men and women seated around the room took further interest in their conversation. None of them had missed the way Jake had stressed the fact that Nick had helped Stanton with his report.

Robert cleared his throat and smothered the smile that threatened to take over his face when he saw that Kevin had noticed the twinkle in his eyes.

“If Stanton absolutely needs Nickolas here in order to continue then maybe we should get him here.”

Everyone turned to look at the person that had spoken. Kevin swallowed hard at the sight of the tall man standing in the doorway.

-x-

“Jerald,” Jake said with a smile and stood up to welcome him. “Welcome back.”

Jake smiled, "Yes, welcome back. When did you get back?

Jerald Richardson smiled, “Thank you. We got in early this morning. So Stanton, should we get Nicky up here so that you can proceed?”

Stanton felt the color draining from his face. Robert never interfered or gave Nickolas any extra benefits in the office but Jerald Richardson made no excuses about his love for Nickolas and hardly ever even addressed him formally. ‘Nick’ instead of ‘Nicky’ was the best he’d do.

‘I’m so screwed! The son already had it out for me, now he has his father for company,’ Stanton thought while smiling weakly.

-x-

Nick drove up the Richardson’s long driveway while running a hand over his hair. He cut the engine and adjusted his glasses before getting out of the car.

Howie opened the door in answer to his ringing the doorbell. “Hey Howie. God I’m so tired today. I could really do with one of those disgusting cups of coffee that Kevin always relishes as if it’s some nectar from the Gods like chocolate is,” Nick said with a soft laugh.

Howie could tell Nick was tired simply by the way he didn’t seem to be as aware of his surroundings as he usually was and was chattering so openly with him. His eyes widened when he saw Nick turning towards the staircase. He looked at the living room area before looking quickly at the younger man.

“Nick wait! I need to tell you something,” Howie said quickly.

Nick stopped and turned to look at him, “What’s up?”

He frowned when he saw Howie’s eyes widen. He turned back around with a smile for Kevin which froze on his face when he found himself looking into green eyes as familiar to him as the ones he’d been looking into night after night.

“Jerald!”

Jerald smiled and wrapped his arms around Nick. “Nicky! How are you kiddo?”

Nick blinked to make sure he wasn’t imagining things. “I’m… I’m good. How come you’re back earlier than planned?” Nick asked while trying to pull himself together and out of the surprise that seeing Jerald had thrown him into.

-x-

Nick tried hard not to let on exactly how uneasy he was during the next two hours. He chatted with Jerald and Cara about their trip, answered their questions about Corey’s wedding preparations and laughed off questions about his love life. Through it all he was very aware of the man sitting next to him. He wanted to yell out his frustrations every time Kevin answered his parents’ questions in short, precise answers thereby bringing the heat back on him. The first chance he got he was going to have words with Kevin, Howie and his dad for not letting him know that Jerald and Cara were back in town.

-x-

Cara smiled at her godson, “You’re staying for dinner aren’t you sweetie? Your dad, Monique and Annaliese are going to be joining us too.”

Nick smiled and shook his head, “I’m sorry no. I actually only dropped by to see you guys. I have plans tonight.”

Kevin looked at Nick in surprise but Nick refused to acknowledge him at that moment.

A little while later Monique, Annaliese and Robert entered the living room, Monique and Annaliese biting back their annoyance at the fact that Nick was in the room too. After greeting Jerald, Cara and Kevin Monique and Annaliese turned to Nick.

“Nickolas, how lovely to see you. I didn’t know you would be joining us,” Annaliese said.

Nick smiled and leaned against his father’s arm. “I was just about to leave. I had dropped by awhile ago to meet Jerald and Cara.”

Annaliese shook her head, “Just dropped by unannounced? How rude dear.”

“Nickolas is our godson Annaliese,” Cara said with a fond smile at Nick, “he certainly doesn’t need to ask before coming over. This is practically his house.”

Nick smiled and gave her a hug before taking his leave from everyone.

Kevin clenched his hand into a fist at the thought of having to spend the evening socializing while Nick escaped.

“I’ll walk you to your car Nick,” Kevin said.

Nick was about to politely refuse the offer when he saw his father and Jerald nodding approvingly. He fought the urge to pout and nodded his head. Smiling at Annaliese, knowing how much it was pissing her off that Kevin had offered to walk him out, he waved casually at everyone before walking off with Kevin.

Once outside Kevin sighed in relief when he realized that Nick had parked his car near the trees the lined the driveway. He was sure that the fact that none of the lights were switched on in that area was Howie’s doing so that they could have a bit of privacy. Sending a silent thanks for his friend’s thoughtfulness Kevin walked Nick to his car.

“I know you’re upset,” Kevin said softly, “but hear me out.”

“Upset doesn’t even begin to cover how I’m feeling Kevin. I was feeling horrible, sick and tired and just wanted to come see you for awhile because I felt bad for making you worry when I didn’t return your messages. But I come here and find out that my godparents are back and you didn’t even bother to tell me. Do you even know how shocked I felt on seeing him?” Nick asked equally softly before unlocking his car.

Kevin put his arms on either side of Nick’s body and blocked him in against the car. “Please Nick, I didn’t know they were back myself!”

Nick looked at doubtfully at Kevin.

Kevin sighed, “When I told you that my relationship with them wasn’t the best I wasn’t making light of the situation Nick. They apparently wanted to surprise everyone by being back and that’s exactly what they did. Only a few people knew they were back and I wasn’t one of them. Your dad knew, I didn’t. Do you think I wasn’t shocked to suddenly see my father today? At least you got to see him in the privacy of the house where no one else was gauging your reaction. Do you want to know where I saw him?” On seeing that he had Nick’s attention Kevin continued, “At work today. During the board meeting.”

“If Stanton absolutely needs Nickolas here in order to continue then maybe we should get him here.”

Everyone turned to look at the person that had spoken. Kevin swallowed hard at the tall man standing in the doorway.

“Jerald,” Jake said with a smile and stood up to welcome him. “Welcome back.”

Jake smiled, "Yes, welcome back. When did you get back?

Jerald Richardson smiled, “Thank you. We got in early this morning. So Stanton, should we get Nicky up here so that you can proceed?”



Nick gasped softly and looked into Kevin’s eyes. Now that they were alone he could look closely at Kevin and see the stress on his face and the way he held his body. Nick bit his lip. He himself had contributed to some extent to Kevin’s stress by not getting in touch with him and letting his messages pile up and then for behaving as coolly as he had in the house with him.

“I’m sorry.”

Nick’s voice was a whisper between them. He raised his eyes and looked at Kevin, letting Kevin see that his apology was real.

Kevin shook his head and slowly tugged Nick into his arms. “I’m sorry too baby. I should have tried harder to let you know they were back. Every time I took my phone out to try, one of them was next to me and I just didn’t know what to do anymore.”

Both closed their eyes and held each other tighter. Kevin slowly nuzzled Nick’s neck while running his fingers through his soft hair. Neither realized it but this was the first time they’d held each other for no other reason but to give and receive comfort.

A few minutes later Nick moaned softly as Kevin began pressing soft kisses against his lips. He was powerless against the magic Kevin always managed to weave around his body and eagerly began kissing him back.

“We.. should stop…. You’re expected back inside Kevin.” Nick sighed as Kevin kissed up his neck while rubbing his back. Nick hadn’t even realized when Kevin’s hands had slipped under his tshirt.

“I don’t want to,” Kevin said while nuzzling Nick’s cheek.

Nick smiled and turned his head to brush his lips against Kevin’s. “But you must.”

Kevin sighed and rested his forehead against Nick’s. “I wish you were staying for dinner too.”

Nick frowned slightly, knowing he’d refused the offer of dinner out of his irritation over Kevin not informing him that Jerald was back.

“I’m sorry,” he said sadly.

Kevin rubbed his back soothingly. “It’s ok. It’s for the best anyway. You’re still in pain and being around all of them isn’t the best thing for you.”

They shared a laugh and a hug before Kevin opened the car door for Nick.

“What time’s AJ’s flight?” Kevin asked as Nick slid behind the wheel of the car.

Nick slid his seatbelt on before looking at Kevin. “Tonight, 3am.”

“Want me to come?” Kevin asked.

Nick bit his lip before shaking his head. “Actually Brian’s coming with me.”

Kevin raised his eyebrows, “My cousin Brian?”

Nick nodded. “We have to go over some stuff and it’s just been crazy trying to find the time to meet. When he heard that I am going to be at the airport he called me and we fixed up a plan to meet for coffee and then for him to come with me so we can finish as much as we have pending while waiting for Alex.”

Kevin nodded, “That makes good sense.” He winked at Nick, “My loss is his gain.”

Nick smiled and leaned through the window for another kiss. Kevin cupped the back of Nick’s head as he started to pull away and deepened the kiss.

“Can I come over tonight?” he whispered against Nick’s lips.

Nick nodded, his body aching with the need to be with Kevin. He didn’t bother to work out the details of how Kevin would come over after dinner and leave before Brian came by. He wanted to be with Kevin and that was all that mattered at the moment.