- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is not betaed. Any mistakes are CJ and mine.
Matt smiled as he looked at Corey when they got out of the car and found him staring at his house. He wrapped his arm around Corey’s waist and kissed his ear lightly.


“Does it feel like yours yet?”


Corey smiled and leaned against the taller man, “In a way I know you are mine so all your things are mine too. But I don’t think I’ll look at this house as mine until I see it after we’re married.”


Matt pressed his lips lightly against Corey’s while the rest of their friends got out of the car and looked at them with a smile.


-x-


Corey looked up from where he'd been busy texting away on his phone to find AJ and Nick looking at him with indulgent smiles on their faces.


"What?" he asked with a confused smile.


"Only a few more days and you'll be here for always," AJ said.


Corey smiled and nodded, "I'm so nervous but also so happy. This feels so right," he said as he looked out at the moonlight dancing across the pool.


"Have you seen your room here yet?" Nick asked curiously.


Corey shook his head, "Matt asked me if I wanted to see it or be surprised. I decided to let it be a surprise."


Nick could see Corey gearing up to ask AJ something and quickly put his hand on Corey's arm and squeezed slightly to keep him quiet. Corey looked between Nick and AJ and decided to heed his friend's advice and not say anything.


AJ shot Nick a look of thanks as they went with Corey to the bar.


-x-


Kevin narrowed his eyes at Brian in irritation which he did not notice as he was busy staring at AJ. Kevin knew that AJ wouldn’t mind being stared at but he wished his cousin wasn’t acting like such an idiot. A fascinated idiot, but one all the same.


He could well understand what was so fascinating about the young man. Skin that had a mocha tint to it, eyes so deep and dark they drew you in, tattoo’s running up his arm that added to the air of excitement around him and tempted one to touch and caress him.


When AJ excused himself from the room so that he could get his phone from Nick who was in the kitchen, Kevin sighed in relief.


He turned to Brian and raised his eyebrow, “What the hell was that?” he asked coolly.


Brian looked surprised, “What do you mean?” he asked in surprise.


“You… staring at AJ… stalking him with your eyes!” Kevin said slowly as if he were talking to an idiot which he truly believed his cousin had turned into.


“AJ?” Brian asked, still trying to come to terms with the fact that he had been staring at the other man.


“Alexander James,” Kevin said impatiently.


“How do you know?” Brian asked, his curiosity increasing by the second.


“Don’t try and change the subject Bri and quit making him uncomfortable! Stop staring at him as if you want to devour him.”


“He’s a beta?” Brian asked astonished.


Kevin rolled his eyes, “I know you’ve always had a preference for women but have you ever found yourself attracted to an alpha?” Kevin asked sarcastically.


“No! It’s just, he’s so…” Brian sighed. “Something about him draws me in.”


“Well I don’t think making him uncomfortable is the right way to go about this situation,” Kevin said gently. “Don’t take the chance that you might ruin his friend’s wedding for him Bri. If you aren’t sure about what you want, leave him alone.”


Brian was about to ask Kevin for advice on how he could go about things when Matt’s entrance caused their conversation to come to an end.


-x-


A couple of hours later Brian’s curiosity in AJ had been steadily increasing. He didn’t get the opportunity to engage him in conversation because AJ turned out to be very popular with Matt and his friends. So he stood by with AJ always in his peripheral vision and watched as the gorgeous young man enjoyed himself.


x-


AJ nodded in thanks as Kevin poured him half a glass of wine and was surprised to see him pour another half glass which he handed over to Corey. He saw that Nick had set aside the one glass that he’d been working on all evening and was savouring a latte at the moment.


Kevin sat down next to hi, “Any plans for tomorrow?”


AJ shook his head, “Nick’s going into work so I think I’ll be with Corey for most of the day unless we end up sleeping a good portion of it away. Sleep seems like a more viable option right now,” he said while tilting his head in Corey’s direction.


Kevin turned slightly and smiled at the way Corey was animatedly talking to some of Matt’s friends. ‘The kid’s definitely not sober, he’s had just enough to relax him into opening up,’ Kevin thought with.


The two friends shared a laugh as they remembered the last time both of them had sat down to drink together on Kevin’s last trip to London before Nick’s summer break had begun.


-x-


Brian watched Kevin and AJ carefully and wondered about their effortless interaction with each other. Questions filled his mind as to whether there was something going on between them.


-x-


A short while later Matt’s guests had left and it was just the six of them again. AJ raised his eyebrows at the way a glass and a half of wine had mellowed Corey enough that he was leaning comfortably against Matt.


“Is the little one planning to come home with us or hang around?” AJ asked casually.


Corey did indeed look very young and innocent the way he was snuggled with his head under Matt’s chin.


Matt smiled and nuzzled Corey’s hair. “Time to go home baby,” he said tenderly.


Corey sighed tiredly and tightened his arms around Matt. “You coming to drop me?” he asked softly.


Matt stroked Corey’s back, “Nick and AJ will drop you home. But I will come with you if you want me to love.”


“I’ll go with Nicky and Alex,” Corey said with a slight pout.


“It’s not long now before you’ll be with me everynight baby,” Matt said softly to Corey.


Corey blushed as he pressed his face against Matt’s neck where he pressed a soft kiss.


“You’re making it harder and harder to let you go Core,” Matt said.


Corey smiled, “I love you Matt.”


Matt smiled and tightened his arms around Corey, “And I love you my Corey.”


Corey grinned and moved away from his fiancé, “Goodnight.”


Matt walked Corey to Brian’s car, “Goodnight darling.”


“Goodnight,” Corey said again before brushing his lips against Matt’s.


Nick and Kevin exchanged a rueful smile at being unable to say goodnight the way they wanted to before Nick got into Brian’s car.


-x-


Corey smiled as he woke up, ‘Two more days until we leave for my wedding,’ he thought. He hugged himself before getting out of bed to start his day.


-x-


Kevin trailed his hand up and down Nick’s thigh causing Nick to tighten his hand on the steering wheel. He chanced a quick glance at Kevin and rolled his eyes at the smirk on his face.


“Jerk,” he said softly causing Kevin to chuckle and squeeze his thigh.


“When’re you going to speak to Robert?” Kevin asked.


Nick smiled, he was happy that the day he was going to be honest with his father had finally arrived. “Around four as of now. Otherwise at the end of the day.”


“What time are you meeting Jerald?” Nick asked carefully.


Kevin sighed slightly, “He’s given me an appointment for 4.30 pm.”


Nick could hear that his lover wasn’t happy about having to take an appointment to meet his father. But it was the safest place for them to meet since Kevin had been avoiding his father at home whenever he could.


Nick slipped his hand over Kevin’s and squeezed his hand. “It’ll get better Kevin. Just… try and give him a chance.”


Kevin nodded, “Mom, Howie, Brian, Matt, Robert all keep saying the same thing too.”


Nick pulled into his parking spot and turned to look at Kevin. “Don’t take this the wrong way Kevin but we know him better than you do so you should try and take our words to heart.”


Kevin knew that Nick was being sincere and nodded his head. He could trust Nick if for no other reason than because he knew that Jerald adored Nick.


-x-


Kevin nodded at people in the lobby as he entered the elevator before he began checking the new messages that had come in on his phone in the last half an hour. He didn’t react to the conversation taking place between the two men in front of him but was very aware of it.


Nick’s boss was talking softly to Nick but because they were standing in front of him he could hear every word being said.


“How upset did he get?” Nick asked.


“A fair bit. I’m sure stewing over it all weekend hasn’t/will not have helped his mood any,” Jake said.


On hearing that Nick sighed and muttered, “That’s just great.”


“No one likes to be embarrassed in front of their seniors, co-workers and juniors Nick especially when they know they are at fault and can’t talk or blame their way out of it. Just steer clear of him for a few days and let me handle it,” Nick’s Jake said patiently.


Nick nodded, knowing there was nothing else he could do if he wanted to avoid an unpleasant encounter with Maurice Stanton.


Kevin narrowed his eyes before nodding, confident in Jake Orrin’s ability to handle Stanton.


-x-


Nick knocked on his father’s office door and entered when he was given permission to do so. He walked in with a smile which turned into one of surprise when he saw his godfather and Kevin in the office.


“This is a surprise. Do you want me to come back dad?” Nick asked.


“No, no, come in Nicky,” Robert said.


“Have a seat kiddo,” Jerald said with a smile.


Nick exchanged a look with Kevin while sitting down, “Is everything alright?” he asked.


“Nothing’s wrong Nicky. We just wanted to have a word with both of you. It’s been a busy time and talking to you both together is the simplest thing to do,” Jerald said.


Both the younger men nodded, still confused as to what their fathers wanted to talk to both of them about.


“I would’ve preferred to discuss this with you alone first but well let’s just get to it,” Robert said.


Kevin and Nick exchanged a look, neither one sure which of them Robert was talking to.


Robert looked at Jerald before speaking, “Both of you are well aware that our families go back a long way. Your great grandparents were friends and started this company together, your grandfather, our fathers continued it on before passing it onto us.” He paused and smiled at Jerald, “Jer and I have been friends from the time we were babies. I can honestly say that there hasn’t been any major event in my life that he hasn’t been there for. When you were born Nicky there wasn’t any contest that Jerald would be a big part of your life.”


Kevin you’ve always been more comfortable with Rob than with me ever since you were a teenager and I can’t say that I blame you. I am very happy to see the way you and Rob have bonded while I have been away,” Jerald said sincerely.


There was a moment of silence before Robert started speaking again, “A thought came to us awhile ago that maybe we could play a different part in your lives now.”
He paused for a moment, hoping that their children didn’t react negatively to what he was about to say.


Nick smiled encouragingly at his father while Kevin kept his expression neutral. He already had an inkling as to where this conversation was heading and was curious as to what Nick’s reaction would be.


“We would like the two of you to consider each other as a match. For marriage,” he added when Nick looked at him in confusion.


“You want us to get married?” Nick asked quickly.


“We want you to consider it. Consider Kevin while he considers you,” Jerald said.


“Spend time together and see if marriage is something that could be a possibility,” Robert explained to his son gently.


Nick looked at Kevin only to find his intense green eyed gaze already on him. He knew that they should tell their fathers what they’d come to say and not take advantage of the opportunity that had been presented to them to date freely.


“I have to confess,” Kevin said, “that the reason I wanted to meet with you today was to let you know that I am dating someone and will be attending Matthew and Corey’s wedding with them as my date.”


Nick bit his lip to hold back nervous laughter at the look on Jerald and Robert’s faces.


Jerald took a quick look at Nick before focusing his attention on hi son. “I wasn’t aware that you were dating someone. It must be serious if you’re willing to bring them to the wedding.”


Kevin nodded, “It’s serious enough that I’m ready to date publicly. As for you not being aware of my relationship, I haven’t exactly seen much of you while I’ve been here,” he said calmly.


Robert could see their conversation quickly turning into a battleground between father and son and sought to diffuse the situation. “I apologize Kevin, Nick,” he said while looking at them. “Kevin I look forward to meeting the person who has captured your heart,” he said with a genuine smile.


After Robert nudged him slightly Jerald said, “Yes, I look forward to that too,” he said, though according to him no one would suit Kevin as much as his Nicky would.


“I will introduce you to the person in my life soon,” Kevin said as he stood up.


Nick quickly stood up with him, “Don’t be a jerk,” he said softly.


Robert and Jerald looked on in surprised silence as Nick and Kevin faced each other. Robert wanted to reprimand Nick for the way he'd spoken to Kevin but something about their body language made him stay silent.


Kevin sighed, “Fine!” He turned to Jerald and Robert, “I can introduce you to him right now if you’d like.”


The corner of Kevin’s lips turned up in amusement at Jerald’s half hearted nod and Robert’s more enthusiastic one. He held his hand out to Nick and waited until Nick moved closer to him before wrapping his arm around Nick’s waist.


“Robert, dad, you both already know him but I’ll just introduce him again. Nick Carter, my boyfriend,” he said lightly.


“Hi,” Nick said innocently, laughing as the look on their faces.


“When did this happen?” Jerald asked once he’d gotten over his surprise.


“We met in London in Feb and eventually started dating,” Nick said with a shy smile.


“In London? Then why didn’t you say anything when you met him that night at the party?” Robert questioned.


“We weren’t ready to. And I wanted to tell you first before letting other people know. Besides we only recently decided that we’re serious enough about each other to date exclusively and publicly.”


Nick let out a sigh of relief when his father and godfather both smiled at him. He looked at Kevin who squeezed his waist gently. They had overcome one hurdle together.


Kevin could see the relief Nick felt at having the acceptance of his father and godfather. Kevin on his part hadn’t really cared much what his own father thought but felt a lot of respect for Robert and was glad that he had reacted well to the fact that they had been dating for awhile.


For tonight they wanted to enjoy their past and how they came together while concentrating on their present.


Whatever their future brought them, one thing was for certain; in the near future their lives would get even more entwined than it already was. Neither one could honestly say that they weren’t looking forward to it.
Chapter End Notes:
Only one more chapter to go which will mainly deal
with Matt and Corey's wedding before we move onto
the next part of the story.

I'm sorry about the long wait between chapters. I'm
in between chemo sessions and my concentration is
usually shot to hell. The next chapter is already
done, just a few more paragraphs have to be put in
so if that ends up taking me time then CJ will split
the chapter into two parts and we'll at least post what's done.

Thanks for the continued support!