- Text Size +

Chapter 15           

 

Howard listened to Diana’s song from the window and closed his eyes. He absent mindedly placed his fingers on the tattoo on his right wrist. He found himself gazing at it his wrist, His mind wandering to his past. He slowly walked to the window and felt his heart ache as he watched Diana crying. It was hard but he was torn, he didn’t know what to do or how to be himself anymore. Ever since his wife was murdered he felt empty. He still remembered meeting her for the first time.

~*~*~* Flashback*~*~*~*~          

  Howard was back in Spain from 3 years at sea since he was taken in by Captain Espinosa. He knew where he would find the gypsies and made his way towards the forest up towards the caves. He was wearing a pair of black slacks with black boots, a white puffy shirt with a black open vest. He had a red sash wrapped around his waist and his hair was held back by a red handkerchief tied around his head. He found a small stream and took a rest and a drink of water. Closing his eyes he listened to the sound of the forest but noticed someone singing in the distance. It was a rhythm he would never forget.  There in the distance a young woman about 18 years of age sat by the stream washing laundry and singing a very soft Nana.

Cuentan caminos y valles
Cantando
cuentan caminos y valles...
Tomillo y
flor de azahar....

Traviesa la luz de la aurora
En
busca de realidad transparente...
...y de blanco azahar...
y blanca espuma de mar que adivina...
...la soleá...

Nainananá y Nainananá

Corrientes de agua fluyendo
laas diosas susurran en sueños...
hechizo de ocaso, profundo
esqueleto...
Duerme!!!!

Nana nanita nana
Nana nanita
duerme            

 Howard was mesmerized by her voice her long black hair shining in the sun. He skin tan from working in the sun. He loved the way her white skirt blew in the wind; her top consisted of a blue blouse and a bodice in a light shade of fuchsia. He slowly made his way towards her and stood at a small distance from her. Taking a deep breath he cleared his throat and spoke.

“Permiso señorita, I did not mean to frighten you” He said and raised his hands to show he had no weapons.

“What are you doing here señor?”  She asked as she collected her laundry and placed it in the basket to take back to the camp.

“My name is Howard I am a gypsy” He said and raised his sleeve to show her his tattoo.

“Well then please let me take you to the Kumpaña” she said. “My name is Esmeralda” she called to him as she lead him the way to her home.            

Howard smiled and felt his heart skip a beat. This woman has put him under a spell and has stolen his heart. They walked through the forest up a path way leading to the mouth of a cave. Howard could smell the aroma of a goat being roasted on a spit. He Smiled and felt at home with these people. He shook hands with elders and was presented to the women elders and young ones. He smiled as they welcomed him home. At night fall the festivities began and Howard was happy to be back singing and dancing with his people. He blushed when Esmeralda asked him to dance sevillanas with him.  He found himself mesmerized by this woman’s beauty and grace as she danced with him, his heart pounding in his chest at how beautiful her deep brown eyes shone in the light of the camp fire.            

The next day Howard awoke to the smell of breakfast being cooked and the hustle and bustle of the people and their chores. Getting dressed he walked out of the tenet and began helping anyway he could.            

Howard stayed with the Kumpaña for 3 years. He got to know and love Esmeralda and they both grew very fond of each other. It was a starry night and Howard had asked Esmeralda to the stream where they first met. He smiled at the way her white dress decorated in a floral patter flowed around her body and blue sash wrapped around her waist. Esmeralda blushed when she caught him staring at her. She loved how his long curls fell softly over his face, his beard was so manly. Howard took Esmeraldas hand in his and pulled her close to him. He turned to face her and gazed into her eyes. He gently raised his hand to her face and caressed her cheek gently with his thumb. Esmeralda felt lost in Howards deep Chocolate brown eyes. Howards took a deep breath and blushed.

 “Esmeralda I know this is not the way we do this but I have changed from the gypsy ways” He said and held both her hands in his.

“Howard is everything alright?” She asked concerned.

“I asked your father permission before I decided to take you here tonight and I wanted to look at you with the moons light, Esmeralda, will you marry me?” Howard said.  

~*~*~*~*~*~EndFlashback~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~           

He sighed at the memory of that day. He felt his heart ache for Esmeralda to be back in his arms, but alas she was six feet under. He turned away from the window to see Kevin standing at the door way.

“Captain, is everything alright?” he asked

“I don’t know what is going on my friend, I feel torn in two” Howard said as he sat on the foot of the bed his head hung low.

 “Howard if I may be honest with you……I feel that you should let the girl go. You are holding on to Esmeralda through her and it is only making you feel worse” Kevin said as he looked at the painting of Esmeralda Howard had made.

“I should just let her be” Howard said as he walked out the door.           

 Kevin watched as Howard walked out of the room and followed closely behind. He looked to Nicholas and smiled.

 “Take a break from that lad, I’ll handle the Captains dinner you go and meet with Rachel, I hear that Ms. Crawford has been asking about you” Kevin said and patted nicks back.

“Thank you sir” Nicholas said as he scrambled to fix his hair and ran out the door.

“Ahh young love” He said to himself as he made sure the fire stayed hot.            

 Diana continued to look out into the horizon as the stars began to come out. Her eyes had run out of tears to shed as she thought of how her life would turn out now. She felt the wind caress her face and found she was thinking of Howard when he was soft and gentle. Howard cleared his throat making her jump. He kept his distance as she stood and felt his breath caught in his throat as he found her beautiful under the moon light. Diana could feel her heart jump as she saw Howard before his chest bare his muscles defined. She gasped inwardly at the scars and burns she saw, surly from battles and wars.

“I will get back to work captain” She said breaking the silence as she avoided his gaze and headed towards the house.

“Please wait” He said and took her hand as she passed.            

Diana looked up at the captain and noticed the change in his eyes, no longer where they dark and full of pain but, gentle and full of sadness. She stood in place her eyes gazing into his waiting for him to speak again.

 “I want to apologize, I have had a lot going on inside of me and I should not have brought it out upon you” He whispered softly.

“It is alright Captain, now if you would excuse me I have chores I need to finish” she said softly and tried to walk away only to be stopped by Howards gentle hand again.

“Diana, you are free to come and go as you please, I am setting you free” He said and let go of her hands.            

Diana starred at him as he walked off to the tree overlooking the cliff. She was shocked at what he had said. It was the last thing she expected from him after everything he did. She walked into the house to find Kevin giving her a soft smile.

“I take it the captain has apologized for his rude behavior” Kevin said as he served her a plate of food.            

Diana could only nod as she ate quietly, her mind deep in thought. She looked back to see Howard leaning against the tree, she could tell he was looking off into the horizon. His hair flowing in the wind and she longed to run her fingers through it but shook her head of the thought.  Finishing her meal she walked back to the entrance hall to finish her chore of cleaning the floor. Kevin watched as she did what she was told not to do and smiled inwardly, he could tell she was feeling something for Howard and he only hoped that this would help him through his pain.            

Meanwhile Nicholas reached the home of Ms. Rachel Crawford, who he had been shyly talking to for a long time. He smiled when she answered the door. Her short hair was in curls around her face and her dark blue eyes sparkling in the lamp light. He gasped at the dress she was wearing. A long green and gold ruffle skirt with a matching corset that made her curves just right. He blushed at the thought of holding her in his arms and cleared his throat.

“Evening Ms. Crawford” He said shyly.

“Oh Nicholas, Please call me Rachel there is no need for pleasantries” She said and smiled.

“Yes of course Rachel, I was wondering if you’d like to talk a walk out under the stars with me tonight.” He said shyly.

“I’ll grab my shawl” She said and blushed.            

Nicholas felt his heart soar as she returned and linked her arm with his as they walked down the empty market street under the moon lit night the stars glistening brightly. He couldn’t help but talk about his adventures at sea and how he wondered if his father was as brave as Captain Howard.

“Oh Rachel you have to meet my new friend” He said excitedly.

“You need to tell me all about your friend” She said and smiled.

“Now don’t take offence because she is a woman but, The Captain is very smitten with her, and she is like a sister to me” He explained.

“Nicholas, you are the kindest person I have met her in Tortuga, and any friend of yours is a friend of mine” She said.

“I was wondering if you could well, help her adjust to life here on Tortuga, you see she is from a gypsy village in Spain and well…… I would like her to have you as a friend and maybe help me get her and the Captain…well……I guess you can say help me push them in the right direction with the help of Mr. Kevin of course” He rambled making Rachel laugh

.“Nicholas for you I’d do anything as long as it made you happy” She said and without another though kissed him gently on the lips.            

Nicholas stood in awe as the realization that she had kissed him kicked in. Taking a deep breath he looked in to her eyes. His blue eyes looked into hers as he took her hand and gently pulled her toward him and held her face softly in his hand, his thumb  caressing her cheek gently as he gave her a long sweet passionate kiss.