- Text Size +
 

Chapter 1

 

            The Gypsy camp was bustling with chores needing to be done. Diana awoke at dressed quickly, making her bed she stepped out of the tent to find her father wrestling her brother into the bath tub. She gave a chuckle as she walked past them at towards her mother who was in the wash basin with the laundry.

 

"Hurry Mija there is much work to be done" she said and pointed to the load of dirty laundry.

"Yes mama" Diana said and obediently began her chores.

 

            Once their chores where finished they camp sat together for breakfast. All around the happy families were gossiping. Diana stayed quiet watching the food on her plate, the dream still vivid in her mind. She felt a touch on her shoulder and noticed it was her father. She seemed to be beaming this morning; she wondered what news he had to be in such good spirits.

 

"Amigos! (Friends) There is much to celebrate tonight; I have an announcement to make. This morning Alejandro came to me asking my daughters hand. So my friends on this glorious day we will celebrate Alejandro and Diana's Engagement" He said happily as the entire table cheered. Diana felt her heart drop; it wasn't that she didn't like Alejandro, after all they were best friends; she just didn't love him.

 

             Diana looked across the table to Alejandro who was receiving hand shakes form the men and pats on the back. She began to take slow deep breaths it was her duty to her people to be happy even if it meant trying to love someone you didn't really truly love. She stood and walked to her father; she kissed his cheek and hugged him.

"Thank you Papa" she said trying not to show him the tears that were about to fall.

 

            With that she hurried off to the fortune teller's tent. Clearing her throat she looked inside.

"Tia? Are you here?" she called out in question.

"Yes, I'm here, I'm here....Oh Diana, what brings you to my tent?" she asked surprised, it wasn't everyday that Diana asked for her fortune.

"Tia, last night I had a dream... It was horrible yet at the same time wonderful" Diana went on telling the gypsy of her dream. The blood, the shadow, and last the kiss with the pirate.

 "Dios Mio! Diana am I the only one you have told of this?" she asked, Diana nodded.

"Let me look at you hand" she continued. Diana placed her hand on the table as Tia began to read it. She heard gasps and sighs and finally a smile from her.

 "Diana, the dream you had was a premonition, your life is about to change. You must take precaution and not tell anyone else about this" Tia said. Diana nodded and hugged the gypsy elder.

"Thank you Tia" she said and kissed her cheek.

 

            Leaving the tent she found a pair of brown eyes looking into hers. It was Alejandro, he held out a flower for her to take, a red rose. Taking it Diana blushed and placed a small strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Diana I know the announcement was a shock to you but I promise that you and I will live happily" He said and kissed her hand.

"Alejandro, thank you i know that you are very kind and romantic" she said and walked towards the lake.

 

            Reaching the lake side Diana sat looking at her reflection. Her brown hair falling over her shoulders as tears filled her eyes. How could she lie to herself this way, she knew in her heart she felt nothing for Alejandro except friendship. But, she didn't want to break her father's heart. She was torn between duty to herself and duty to her family. The gypsy made it clear that her premonition was going to be fulfilled. What Diana wasn't sure of.......... was when.

 

 

            On the pirate ship the Captain paced around as his crew members swabbed the deck. His first mate looking over the chores to be done. He couldn't help but continue to think of the girl that entranced him with her dance, her long brown hair flowing as she twirled. He found himself looking out to the ocean, envisioning her in his arms as the wind blew at them, the salt sea air smelling fresh and crisp.  His large chocolate brown eyes gazed deeply at the ocean, his mind still on her.

"Captain?" her heard from behind him. He turned to find his first mate giving him a questioning look.

"Yes, Kevin what is it now?" he said slightly irritated that he was interrupted.

"I'm sorry Captain Howard but, I was wondering what you surprise plan was for tonight" Kevin said as he looked down to the floor.

"We are going to raid the Camp, we take all the gold we can find and I will take the girl of my dreams" he said in a lustful voice. "If you have any further questions I'll be in my cabin taking a warm bath" Howard said and walked away from the banister and towards his cabin.

 

            Kevin watched as Howard walked off, he knew something was wrong and now had the means to accuse. Howard wanted to kidnap a woman and have her. He sighed and prayed that she would not be trouble. Looking back at the crew he spotted his cousin Brian up at the crows nest his hand over his eyes to scout out any trouble ahead.

"Have you seen anything Brian?" He shouted

"Nothing yet sir" He replied back. Kevin waved and nodded in approval.

 

            It seemed the captain found a safe place to anchor away from a town. He smiled and looked around, their crew was full of ruthless pirates, the low of the low, yet they only plundered and always gave back. But this was the first that Howard's conquest was to kidnap and innocent girl. He wanted to question it but knew better then to go back on the code.  He walked around and began to sing a tune for the lads to perk up.

 

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
We kidnap and pillage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.

We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
Maraud and embezzle and even hijack.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.

We kindle and char and inflame and ignite.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
We burn up the city, we're really a fright.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
We're rascals, and scoundrels, and villains, and knaves.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
We're devils and black sheep and really bad eggs.
Drink up me 'earties yo ho!

Yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me

 

The crew finished the song and laughed as they finished their chores. Looking about he noticed the Captain had finished his bath and was wearing his pillaging clothes.

"All right Lads lets get ready to head out" He yelled. The crew gave a loud yell and began to move about grabbing their weapons and the materials needed.  "Now I will warn you, take the gold, don't harm the women or children, if any of the men attack defend yourselves but try not to murder too much...Oh and I will be taking for myself a nice token, I don't want to hear any arguing from the lot of you since I decided you will split the gold amongst your self and Mr's Kevin will help with that. So are we ready lads?" he yelled as the crew gave an "Ai Ai Cap'n!"  In cheer.  Howard looked up and shouted to Brian. "I'll be leaving some Men behind with you to guard the ship" he said as Brian waved approval.  "Now let's head out Men" he said as the crew now leapt off the ship using the hanging ropes, while he and Kevin walked off the board.