- Text Size +

Chapter 2

             The sun began to set and it was time for the moon to come out to play. Diana had returned from the lake just before sun set and changed into her pale blue skirt, with a white top and a black bodice. On her head a blue handkerchief that was knotted under her long loose hair leave two pieces draped just below them. She walked out of the tent to find Alejandro awaiting her. She took his hand as the guitar began to play, she recognized the rhythm immediately. It was most likely her father’s idea to have the guitarist play a sevillanas so that they could join their souls in dance. She gazed into his eyes; she loved making eye contact with her dance partners it made them feel a bit intimidated by her talents. She smiled as the finished the first ‘copla’ their bodies so close together she could feel his breath.  With the remaining 3 ‘coplas’ they ended with their bodies so close it was breath taking. She felt her heart start to melt at the way he danced with her, but still no sparks came between them.             

 In the distance Howard watched as the man danced with his conquest. He felt his blood boil with jealousy as the man had touched her body in ways he wished to. Raising his hand he was letting his crew know that the time was upon them. Taking a few slow breaths he slowly dropped his hand. That was the signal. He watched as the Men gave a loud yell, the gypsies heads turned towards the forest. His crew like a fog in the sea morning coming towards them.  

“Piratas! (Pirates!)” He heard a man yell as they scrambled to protect the women and children.

He smiled as his conquest had escaped into the forest. He followed quickly hoping to catch her and take her.             

Diana ran as fast as she could away from the site. She knew Alejandro was in front of her and she followed. She trusted him, and he trusted her. Her legs began to ache as she ran faster to catch up with Alejandro seeing his shadow not far in front she reached out her hand and took his.  He started to come to a slow, his hands on his knees as he breathed deeply.  Diana leaned against one of the trees her mind swimming with dizziness. Never had she run so far so fast in her life.  She heard a noise coming from the direction she came in and stiffened; her heart beating hard against her chest as if it were ready to bust out. With her eye sight slightly adjusted to the darkness she walked slowly to Alejandro how took her in his arms and hugged her close.

 “Don’t worry Diana I’ll protect you.” He said

“Ahh so the fair maidens name is Diana, well then I shall now introduce myself, I am Captain Howard, and Diana you will be my captive.” He said with a ruthless laugh.

“I will never be yours you ruthless dog” she spat and clung to Alejandro.

“She is to be my bride not yours scum of the sea” Alejandro said as he moved Diana behind him. The man gave a laugh that made Diana’s body shiver; it was so evil, so cold.

“Well my friend, are you willing to die for her?” Howard asked as he unsheathed his sword.             

 Alejandro pushed Diana closer to the tree as he walked up to Howard. Diana watched her eyes wide with fear, she realized, this was it. This was what her dream meant. Alejandro picked up a large stick having no weapon, since there wasn’t time to grab one. Howard gave a laugh as though he was being insulted. He prepared himself in a stance and gave a menacing glare to Diana. She stayed frozen in her place as the fight began.  Alejandro kept blocking but every time he tried to hit Howard he was blocked. Nothing seemed to be going the way Howard planed so instead he decided to make it go his way. With quick foot work he landed himself behind Alejandro. With one motion he sliced the sword, Alejandro was turning and it sliced his face and his arm. Alejandro gave a yell as he fell to his knees. Howard hovered over him raising his sword he pushed down letting it pierce Alejandro’s shoulder. Diana let a scream and a cry, she saw the blood, and nothing frightened her more. Taking deep breaths she tried to contain her sobs, she watched it all as if time had slowed. Howard walked to her his shadow covering her, her eyes widened as his hand reached to grab her. He took her forcibly by the arm and pulled her towards him. A few strands of hair lay on her face, her eyes full of anger and fear. Yet her heart beat faster than anything ever before. This man’s touch electrified her and she felt dirty just by the thought.

“Now, my dear Diana you will come peacefully or I will lay your camp in ruins” He sneered as his nose touched hers. He felt her shiver; she closed her eyes at his words. She was trying to hold the tears in side, but alas one escaped her.

“What ever you say, just don’t hurt anyone anymore” she said weakly.

“Good girl, now let’s move” with that he tied her hands in front of her and pulled her behind him she was now his and his alone.             

Returning to the camp site his crew rounded up all of the gypsies into a large huddle, they were clumped together in fear the men held by the other pirates. Diana noticed her father was held by both his arms, his body bruised and bloodied. She let out a cry but fell as the rope was pulled. She turned to find Howard lifting her. He took her face in his hands and sneered.

“Don’t even think about it” he said angrily “You could have cost your father his life, Diana. But since you only wanted to protect him I’ll let it slide” he said.

Diana felt an anger rise out of her as she spit in his face.

“You filthy son of a dog” She said to him. 

Anger filled Howard as he drew back his hand and slapped her with the back of it. She stumbled to the floor not making a sound; in defiance she looked at him daring him to do it again. But she heard her fathers’ voice.

“Diana! No, al lo que el diga (do as he says)” she heard him whisper.

She looked to her father tears in her eyes and she could only nod.

“I knew you would see it my way” Howard said as he lifted Diana.

 “All right boys let’s move out” with that he took Diana and lifted her over his shoulder. 

 “If you come after us, I will destroy you” Howard sneered as he looked to the camp of angry men and frightened women and children.              

 With that the pirates retreated off into the forest and back to their ship. Reaching the ship, Howard placed Diana in his Cabin and locked the door. Looking to his crew as they marveled at the gold and trinkets they stole, he gave a low howl.  

“Lift anchor and set sails, we head back to Tortuga” he said as his crew cheered.

Standing at the helm he steered the boat off into the distant shore towards the Caribbean. He knew it would be a voyage home, it wouldn’t be easy but they loved a challenge.             

Giving the helm to Kevin, Howard went below deck to the Cabin Boy. The boy was no older than 21 and tall as a tree. His blond hair and blue eyes piercing that the women of Tortuga always wanted to taste him, but he never buckled to their requests. Howard knocked on his door; he answered sleepily and let the captain in.

“What can I do for you Capin” he said and bowed.  

"I have a guest in my quarters you are to draw a warm bath and send food, not a word to her, don’t touch her inappropriately, only release her from her ropes and set up the metal shackles on my bed post” He said and looked around.

“You’ve grown up Nicholas, your father would have been proud, but you still have a long way to go before you are a pirate” he said and patted the boys back.             

Leaving the quarters he walked back on deck the light of the moon shining down on his ship. He had named it La Esmeralda ( The Emerald), named after his first love and wife Esmeralda, what many don’t know about Howard was that she was Murdered. In the process of her being murdered the murderer also killed his unborn child leaving him heartbroken and ruthless. He still didn’t understand why he had taken this girl from her home, but she had pulled him secretly. He had a power over him and he wanted to know why, what did this girl have in her that raised such fire in him. He could only look out into the dark horizon the moon and stars shining brightly on the clear night sky. Taking off his hat he ran his fingers through is long curly hair; he sighed and bowed his head.

“Forgive me Esmeralda” he whispered to the wind. 

“All right Men it’s time to celebrate, bring out the rum and food and feast to your heart’s content” he yelled as he smiled happily to his men.

They cheered and moved quickly to prepare their festivities. Howard noticed Nicholas leaving his cabin rubbing his cheek and shaking his head. He laughed and walked towards him.

Did she give you any trouble lad?” he asked

“No Capin, just the usual banter a woman gives a man if she thinks he’s trying to be fresh then she cursed in gypsy and I couldn’t make out what she said” He sighed and cracked his neck.

“But I did as you asked and prepared her bath, sent her food, untied her hands and place the chains on your bed post” he continued as he walked down to the lower decks.

“Good boy Nicholas, now go help Cookie with serving the men….Oh and one more  thing, I should prepare myself if I were you, I’m going to give you the test” he said and watched Nicholas’s eyes dance with joy.

“Yes sir, Capin sir” he said and off he went.             

Howard noticed Kevin off in the distance drowning his sorrows in rum. He walked to his first mate and best man.  

“What’s troubling you?” he asked and looked to Kevin.  

“Something about this night Capin, I know you always get what you want and I don’t mean to question your judgment but……. Taking a girl from her home……..I just don’t feel right” He said and chugged the rum as quickly as he could.

“Kevin, that girl did not look happy living with her people, she looked almost lost and lonely, it was as if she called to the sea and I answered her call………I know the way I did it was ruthless and selfish, but in good time she will be one of us” he said and patted his friend in the back.

“Now let us enjoy the festivities” he said and called for a pint of Rum.              

In the Captains quarters Diana sat herself in the bath she made it quick as to not be caught naked by the sly devil. Seeing the food on the table she felt her stomach rumble, but wondered if she should really eat or starve herself to death. She wanted nothing more than to be home in the safe arms of her Papa. She felt the tears falls as she curled herself in the warm water of the tub. She placed her head on her knees and sobbed. Her heart broke at the thought of her Papa worried sick, the bruises and cuts she saw on him made her want to attack Howard. She felt the revenge boil up inside her, but she knew that was not the way to go around, in the end Howard will get what he deserves for taking her against her will. Taking the dry cloth from the floor she dried herself off and got dressed in the same clothes she was kidnapped in. the only clothes she assumed would be with her till she died.  Her stomach grumbled but she felt no means to eat the food left for her, she decided she would starve. Looking around she saw no means of escape, the only thing she could do was to curl up in the corner and hide in the shadows.             

Howard left his men quietly as they began getting ready to sing in a drunken spur. He watched from the helm as Kevin began the tune. 

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike
the bosun brained with a marlinspike
and cookey's throat was marked be like
It had been gripped by fingers ten;
And there they lay, all good dead men
Like break o'day in a boozing ken
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men of the whole ship's list
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Dead and be damned and the rest gone whist!
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
The skipper lay with his nob in gore
Where the scullion's axe his cheek had shore
And the scullion he was stabbed times four
And there they lay, and the soggy skies
Dripped down in up-staring eyes
In murk sunset and foul sunrise
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men of 'em stiff and stark
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Ten of the crew had the murder mark!
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
Or a yawing hole in a battered head
and the scuppers' glut with a rotting red
and there they lay, aye, damn my eyes
Looking up at paradise
All souls bound just contrawise
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men of 'em good and true
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Ev'ry man jack could ha' sailed with Old Pew,
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
There was chest on chest of Spanish gold
With a ton of plate in the middle hold
And the cabins riot of stuff untold,
And they lay there that took the plum
With sightless glare and their lips struck dumb
While we shared all by the rule of thumb,
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

More was seen through a starlight screen...
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Chartings undoubt where a woman had been
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
'Twas a flimsy shift on a bunker cot
with a dirk slit sheer through the bosom spot
and the lace stiff dry in a purplish blot
Oh was she wench or some shudderin' maid
that dared the knife and took the blade
By God! She had stuff for a plucky jade
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
We wrapped 'em all in a mains'l tight
with twice ten turns of a hawser's bight
and we heaved 'em over and out of sight,
With a Yo-Heave-Ho! and a fare-you-well
And a sudden plunge in the sullen swell
Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell,
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
                

Howard laughed as the men cheered and danced around. He liked to keep his crew happy; he never liked the captains that mistreated their crew that lead to Mutiny. This Crew was like a band of brothers they’ve been through everything together, most of them married with Wives but this was a job that payed off, and the wives were happy to have them home safe and sound. No one was left behind, that was one code that Howard never liked, and he would never leave a brother behind.  But he knew he broke a rule, bringing a woman on board, though his means to kidnap her, he found himself down. The men looked at him, they knew his spirits were down and one of them spoke out.

“Don’t worry Capin, we know she must be important for you to bring her aboard” Said one of the men.

“Smitties right Capin, she is a fair lass and Gypsy by no means, you know she’s a pure one” said the other and raised his glass.

“Thank you me hearties” he said and tied the helm to stay on course.

“All tight men try to sober up and clean up the deck lights out in a few minutes” he said and walked off to his cabin.