- Text Size +

Chapter 6



          Howard gazed upon her silhouette and smiled. His eyes roamed her body going from her long straight black hair to the luscious curve of her behind. It took four giant steps for him to reach her, his hand pressed against her shoulder and moved gently down her arm. He could feel her body shiver at his touch and smiled. The dress Nicholas had lain out for her fit her perfectly. Her curves where accented in the right places. He restrained himself from turning her to face him and kiss her there and then. He was determined to tame this wild Gypsy woman; even if it took his very last breath he would make her, his.

“You look stunning my dear, it makes me wonder why you have not yet married” He said and smiled evilly.

Diana Turned and smacked his hand away “Don’t touch me” She said while gritting her teeth.

“It seems I hit a sore subject with the lady” He said and laughed as he took her chin in his hand “Such a beauty as yourself, and yet you didn’t love the man who protected you” He continued and laughed.

        Diana growled slightly and raised her hand giving him a good slap that released his grip on her. Howard placed his hand on his cheek and glared at her. She stood her ground, her breath deep and filled with anger.
 “How dare you say such a thing, I loved Alejandro and he loved me. He was a dear friend and you killed him, He was unarmed and you killed him” She said pounding on his chest letting her tears fall down her cheeks.

            Howard laughed and took hold of her hair making her cry out in pain “don’t be foolish you may have loved him as a friend but not as a lover” He said and smiled. He a fist full of her hair and in a quick reflex caught her hand in mid air as she was getting ready to slap him once again. “No, no, no my lovely pet no more of that, one was enough” He said mocking her.

             They stood gazing at each other their breaths mixing with every exhale. Their eyes locked, Diana’s in anger, and Howard’s in amusement. Howard let his eyes wonder to her lips. They looks so red and moist, he licked his own lips as he gazed back into her eyes. At that moment with his hand still full of her hair he pressed her lips to his in a heated kiss of passion. He could feel her body quiver as the kiss depend and he smiled inwardly. Diana felt her eyes droop to a close and her arm almost immediately wrapped around his neck as the kiss continued. Her heart pounded in her chest as she felt the sparks fly between them. Opening her eyes she groaned and pushed him away only able to separate his lips from hers, his hand still with a fist full of hair.

“You worthless sea dog, I am only a conquest for you, and I think I know why” she said and laughed “It is because no woman could ever love a disgusting person like you”

          With that Howard pushed her away and glared at her. He could feel his blood boil in anger at the mention that no one could love him. He took two steps towards her, his face very close to hers. His eyes burning into hers, as his breaths were deep and shallow. He gave a low growl making her shiver with fear.

“You gypsy wench, the dress you are wearing belonged to a woman who loved a man like me. I would keep your mouth shut if you don’t want your tongue cut off” He said and slammed his fist on the table making her jump.

               Turning his back to her he walked out the door and to the deck where his crew was preparing for the nightshift. Walking around the main deck he sighed and looked at the stars. As he was about to reach the bow of the ship he heard a door slam open and turned to see Diana marching to wards the Starboard (right) Side of the ship. Leaping into a run he watched how she climbed the railing and stepped on the other side.

“What Madness is this?” He asked as he stood amused

“If you will not free me I will jump” She said and glared at him.

“I’m sure Davy Jones would welcome you to the sea” He said and laughed “You are not brave enough to do it, if you want to see your father again I suggest you come back to my side” He said and shook his head.

“I rather die” she responded.

              With that said Diana moved her right foot towards nothing but air. As she began to lose her balance, Howard climbed on to the banister and took her waist in his arms, but to no avail as it made them both lose their balance and fall into the deep waters of the blue ocean. The crew rushed to bring the captain and Diana back aboard the ship. Once they were brought aboard Diana was left gasping for air as Howard shook himself from the water and looked at her.

“I should have kept you shackled to the bed” he said and grabbed her arm forcing her to stand up her wet hair pasted on the side of her face.

“No, let me correct you…YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER KIDNAPPED ME!” she yelled in anger he body shivering for the cold water.

“I swear if you don’t behave your self you will find that you will no longer be pure” He threatened through clenched teeth.

“You wouldn’t dare” She gasped as tears filled her eyes mixing with the drops of salt water on her face.  

“Try me” he challenged while dragging her back to his cabin his shoes making wet noises as he walked. Reaching his Cabin he pushed her in grabbed dried clothes for himself and walked out locking the door behind him.
 “NICHOLAS!” He bellowed

“Aye Captain!” Nicholas said as he pushed through the crowd to rush to the captain’s side.

“Your first test to becoming a pirate is guarding this door, I am the only one allowed in or out is that understood” He said.

          Nick could only salute and nod his head as he sat on a chair in front of the door, and watched as the captain paced back and forth. He had never seen the captain this riled up, except for the time when he thought he was being cheated in Tortuga playing a game of deadly dice. All the same Nick knew he had to do a good job or else he would remain a cabin boy forever and that was the last thing he wanted. Gazing at the door he only hoped that Diana was alright inside the captains’ quarters and she had changed into dry clothes.

“Kevin I will be bunking with you tonight!” He said without waiting for an answer form Kevin.

Kevin sighed “all right men back to work Get these decks swabbed make sure the ropes are tight”   He gazed at the sky and shook his head before following the captain down to the crew’s quarters.  ‘This is going to be a long night’ Kevin thought as they reached his room.

             Kevin left the deck as the men finished their chores and headed to bed. Opening his cabin door he saw Howard sitting on a chair in the corner his head bowed like a defeated dog.   Kevin sighed as he grabbed another chair and sat across from the captain a bottle of rum in his hands. Kevin didn't know much about the captains past; he met Howard after he had gained a reputation of being a fair captain and a feared pirate.

"Howard I know times are rough we have many days out here in the sea before we reach home " he said and sighed "I brought you some rum if you care to partake to it" he offered and before he could take a small sip it was out of his hands.

Howard took three long gulps of it and sighed as he felt the hot liquid run down his throat his body began to feel relaxed. Gazing at his friend he laughed. Kevin raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Is there something wrong sir?" he asked

"My friend did I ever tell you that I was a gypsy once" he said and showed Kevin his crescent moon tattoo.
"I was happy, I had family I had brothers and then they were killed by the Spanish king" he said in spite "That was my first turn to becoming a pirate" taking another chug of rum he stood and stumbled around the room with the bottle in his hands "So I left and became a cabin boy, just like Nicholas, and learned how to live like a man of the sea, it felt wonderful to be out at sea it was heaven. I met my dear Esmeralda when we made a stop back in Spain out in the woods where I heard they resided to keep out of trouble. So naturally I showed them my mark and well, I was welcomed. I was taken by this angel who was dancing with her soul. She stole my heart with one gaze of her crystal blue eyes. So we Courted and well, much to say we were married. I was 16 at the time we were married and she was 14. Well naturally I stayed with her and lived once again the life of a gypsy. I felt home when I was with her, but her father knew that I had become a man of the sea" He paused to take a another gulp as his eyes filled with tears "So we decided I would join my crew and the captain gave us permission to board as long as she stayed in her room and I finished my chores. Naturally we obeyed and the trip was smooth. A week into our marriage was given the pirate test so I had to leave her behind in Tortuga" By this time Howard was swaying back and forth his tears now falling down his face "Well………." He paused to laugh  "As you can see as plain as day I passed" he chuckled and shook his head"Oh what a joyous day it was and to top it off it was Esmeraldas birthday so naturally her birthday present was a lovely emerald necklace the captain let me keep from the days plunder" He paused and his face grew dark. "But as soon as I reached the door of my house I knew something was not right" he said and finished the bottle of Rum flipping it so that he could make sure there was nothing left her  sighed and anger filled him. "This Gypsy will be the death of me" He cursed and threw the bottle across the room making Kevin jump slightly.

Kevin had never seen the captain so distraught and full of pain, yet here he was telling him his story of pain and heart ache. Kevin bowed his head and decided to not let the captain go on.

"Capin I think it's time for you to sleep, you need your rest to navigate us safely to Tortuga" He said as he walked to the Howard and helped him on to the bed.
"I'll take the hammock and you get the nice comfy bed" he said but it was to no one since the captain had fallen asleep right away.

Walking to the hammock Kevin sighed and gazed at the ceiling. This girl was melting the captain’s heart, and he knew it. The only problem now was to make the voyage to Tortuga a safe one where neither of them gets hurt. Giving a sigh he closed his eyes and fell right to sleep.