- Text Size +
-- March 12, 2008, 1:15 pm --

"Are you excited?" I asked Aj for the third time since the doctor had left the room 5 minutes before. I was trying my best to take my mind off the position I was in. I hated that office, and laying there with my feet up in the stirrups in front of my husband just made me all the more uncomfortable.

"Totally excited!" He answered for the third time.

I didn't have to ask really. I already knew by the way he was squeezing my hand -- much tighter than I was squeezing his that he was either super excited, or super nervous. Either way we both felt the same.

The doctor finally returned after what felt like an eternity and let me hoist my legs down and sit back up. If I didn't know any better I would have thought he'd just left me there for ten minutes, unecessarily, to embarass me. He left the room for a few more minutes while I changed back into my clothes and then he returned once more. I sat back on the table as he pulled the little computer that was sitting across the room over towards the table. I felt Aj's grip tighten even more.

"Easy there killer," I laughed poking him in the ribs with my other hand. He lightened his grip and apologized kissing my forehead gently. I leaned over and told him to go grab the camera out of my purse. He did. I had a feeling this would be a moment we would always want to remember.

"So Mrs. Mclean," my doctor began.

"Please... call me Jessica."

He smiled at me and began again, "So Jessica... according to my calculations you are right around 12 weeks pregnant."

I grinned and nodded. It seemed right... and plausible. Aj smiled too as he returned to my side with the camera.

"I'm going to go ahead and perform an ultrasound this afternoon and maybe if your little one cooperates you'll be able to hear the heartbeat."

There went Aj with the hand squeezing again.

"Alex!" I whispered harshly at him. He let go.

"Sorry."

I laughed. "I thought I was supposed to be the one doing the hand breaking here."

The doctor laughed too, "You'd be surprised."

I lifted my shirt for him and he slathered on the cold wet goo they used for ultrasounds. By the way... they aren't lying when they say that stuff is cold... it's really, really cold.

He placed the wand on my stomach and we waited. We had to wait for several minutes to hear anything at all, but finally we did. To say it was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard in my entire life doesn't even begin to describe. I wiped my eyes and then leaned over to wipe Aj's. He kissed me at least a hundred times on the cheek.

"That's our baby Jess! That's really our baby!"

I smiled. The doctor turned the screen to face us and for the first time ever we saw our tiny little bean. Literally, it was tiny... and it looked like a bean. But in our minds and in our hearts that was our beautiful little baby.

I don't think I've ever fallen in love so quickly.

"That's amazing." Aj whispered into the silence that had fallen over the room.

And it was.