- Text Size +
-- June 13, 2008, 2:00 pm --

I laid back on my side on my beach towel as Aj gently rubbed sunscreen on my already pinkened back. I sighed deeply and basked in the Hawaiian sunlight, wishing that we could just stay there forever.

The two weeks of our vacation had been a wonderful and relaxing vacation from life and the stress that comes along with the realities of living it. I'd managed to not think much about my job or my patients and to instead focus on my husband and my growing fetus... the one we, or rather Aj had nicknamed "Tadpole"... our sweet wee baby tadpole.

We'd spent the first week in the lap of luxury in a beautiful hotel right on the water, together alone in our own little world. It was like being newlyweds again... except for that whole pregnancy thing. I was more exhausted than I had been on our first honeymoon and to be quite frank, sex had been a little trickier and probably less fun for either of us... but we'd still made it as romantic and enjoyable as we knew how. We'd slept in every morning and taken long walks on the beach every night and we'd sat out on the balcony in the evenings and watched the sun go down as we shared a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

We hadn't gone shopping or done a lot of sightseeing that first week. We prefered to just spend the time in each other's company. We laid out on the beach a lot and spent hours in the pool which I hadn't realized is great for a pregnant woman. It really took the weight off my stomach and it felt wonderful because Aj could actually lift me in his arms again.

The second week had been a lot of fun too. Howie and Leigh arrived that Saturday and we spent two days just the four of us, sightseeing and shopping. We bought a lot of things for the babies and Aj and I even got to be the lucky firsts to find out that Howie and Leigh had taken the leap and found out they were having a girl. I had to admit my heart fluttered a little at the idea of knowing... especially when I watched the two of them ohh and aww over pink and purple girly items... but the feeling faded quickly when I saw all of the green and yellow and returned myself to the thoughts of a nice delivery surprise.

I had really enjoyed hanging out with Leigh and was even beginning to feel ready to experience the whole Backstreet Family world. Leigh and I talked about having the babies and taking them on tour next year... I was actually starting to get excited about the entire thing... an emotion I never anticipated.

Our parents showed up on Monday and the rest of the week was spent hanging out at a condo on the beach. It had been a lot of fun, but a lot of hectic fun. Conversation had turned to the baby a lot and when we were going to find out what we were having and when we were going to pick out names and everyone had opinions of what those names should be. We just laughed along with the suggestions and smiled and nodded knowing the backs of our minds that our baby would have the name we chose and that we would find out the sex when the baby... our son or our daughter... was born.

I rolled over onto my back as Aj finished rubbing on the sunscreen. Our parents had left that morning and we would be leaving the next day. I sighed and closed my eyes as I sunk into the sand beneath me. I glanced over to where Aj was now sitting in a beach chair beside me reading from a novel he'd bought at the local bookstore and I reached out and pinched his leg.

"Ouch, hey!" He whispered as he looked over at me and winced in pain, "what was that for?"

I winked and laughed, "Just to get your attention."

"Well you got it... what is it that you want?" He said turning towards me and giving me his undivided attention as I reached up and took his hand in mine.

"Do you think we could just move here?" I asked very seriously as he gave me an odd look. "I mean... I would love to just move here and never have to worry about anything ever again."

He shook his head, "I don't think running away from your worries is the answer baby." He scooted out of his chair and sat down on the beach towel beside me, "What you worrying about anyway?"

"Nothin'," I answered as I closed my eyes and pretended to go to sleep. He wasn't fooled that easily.

"No really sweetheart, what is it?"

I looked up at him and sighed, "Life... work... the baby... us."

He raised his eyebrows at me, "You're worried about us?"

"Not persay... it's just... everything we've been through... I can't help but worry."

He nodded his head and squeezed my hand a little tighter. "I'm not going anywhere Jessica. I promise... I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere."

I smiled and nodded as a single tear slipped down my cheek and he reached to wipe it away.

"Damn hormones," I muttered as I closed my eyes again and he laid down next to me for a snuggle.

He laughed and that made me laugh and the two of us lay there together basking up the warmth of the beautiful Hawaiian sun on our last day in paradise.