- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Added 8-31
-- October 13th 2008, 10:27 pm --

Dragontales and the water is wide,
Pirates sail and lost boys fly.
Fish bite moonbeams every night and I love you.
Godspeed little man, sweet dreams little man...
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings...
Godspeed.
Sweet dreams.

I laid in our king sized bed, staring up at the ceiling and listening to the beautiful sound of my husband's voice carrying through the house as he sweetly sang a lullaby to our son... the same lullaby I'd been singing to him everynight since we'd arrived home from the hospital the week before. It touched my heart to know that Aj had been listening to me sing... hearing the words and the melody and taking it all in so that he too could sing my favorite bedtime song to our sweet baby boy. It felt especially good knowing that my son was being lulled to sleep by a song that had such meaning in my life.

I gently slid out from under the covers and made my way down the hall to the nursery, now completely set up with the crib and the changing table, an oversized rocker and a beautiful mural of woodland animals. The nursery I'd always dreamed of for my son. I paused there briefly outside the door to listen as Aj continued to sing...

Robin Racer's all tuckered out,
Superman's in pajamas on the couch.
Goodnight moon will find the mouse and I love you.
Godspeed little man, sweet dreams little man...
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings,
Godspeed.
Sweet dreams.

I stood there in the doorway and marveled at the sight before my eyes. The two of them there in moonlight, Aj leaning back in the rocking chair, Matthew curled up peacefully on his chest, sucking on his oversized hospital pacifier like there was no tomorrow. I leaned against the doorframe unsure if I should enter the room and disturb the peaceful moment the two of them were clearly entranced in. Instead of interupting I just watched and held back my tears, waiting for Aj to begin singing the next verse...

God bless mommy and matchbox cars,
God bless dad and thanks for the stars...

I walked towards them then as Aj began the next line of the song and smiled when he winked up at me and nodded.

God hears Amen wherever we are and I love you.
Godspeed little man, sweet dreams little man.
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings...
Godspeed, Godspeed, Godspeed.
Sweet dreams.

The two of us sang the ending together, our voices mixed beautiful as Matthew, who had begun stirring, calmed once more and drifted peacefully off to sleep. I scooted onto the oversized chair next to Aj and cuddled in there beside my two favorite men.

I was lost completely in that moment... Aj and Matthew there with me. I thought for a minute that this must be what Heaven felt like.

Amazing and peaceful... beautiful and happy.

We fell asleep there together like that... together... happy... peaceful...

In Heaven.