- Text Size +
-- January 5, 2008, somewhere in between New York and LA--

"Seriously Jessica," Aj spat from the driver's seat of our brand new Cadillac Escalade (a Christmas present from AJ... to himself). If I hadn't known any better I would've thought he was annoyed with me... but of course, I did know better. I didn't have to think he was annoyed at all, I simply knew it. In fact, he'd been annoyed with me since pretty much the moment we'd left our hotel room in New York two days before and set foot in our car for the long jourmey home. And he let me know just how annoyed he was every single chance he got.

Let's just say, sometimes it's a damn good thing I'm in love with the man.

"What Aje?" I asked as I rolled my eyes and attempted to sound just as annoyed right back at him. I was sitting in the passenger seat, the windows rolled down, my feet up on the dashboard, bopping my head along with the country music that filled the car as I filming the scenery passing by.

We were somewhere in Texas now... or maybe New Mexico? I didn't exactly know anymore to be honest. The roads all seemed to run together in endless... well... endlessness, but it didn't matter anyway, at least I was enjoying myself. Unlike some people.

Aj reached over and turned the radio off, before glaring at me, or at least as best as a person can glare at someone out of the corner of their eye while you're trying to focus on the road at the same time.

"You've been filming out that car window since we left New York," he spoke through gritted teeth, "Could you stop and maybe talk to me or something."

Damn. Now I felt bad.

Of course, it was true what he said. I loved riding in the car more than just about anything in the world, and since I was working on my project, I'd thought maybe I could capture something spectacular if I just kept shooting out the window. Unfortunately, unless you counted the five car fender bender we'd passed yesterday around Ohio, or the Armadillo in the middle of the road about an hour before... well I hadn't caught much but trees and mountains and now the desert rushing by as we sped along on the interstate.

I sighed and set my feet back on the floor, I rolled up the window and flipped on the AC. It was getting warmer by the second as we drove further and further west.

Some winter.

I reached up and set the camera on the dashboard and leaned back into my seat.

"Sorry," I whispered... and I really did mean it, "what do you want to talk about?"

"Without the camera Jess." He glared over at me again and I could tell without even looking that he was rolling his eyes.

And so I lied, "It's not on."

"Jessica, seriously, I'm not stupid, I can see the little red light."

I sighed again and reached up to turn it off. My pain in the ass of a husband could really put a damper on this project.

"Okay then, what do you wanna talk about?"

Aj simply shook his head, reached to flick the radio back on and turned his eyes back towards the open road before him. We sat in silence for a half hour or so before l finally gave up, grabbed my camera again and clicked it back on, aiming it out the window just in time to catch the most marvelous sunset I've ever seen.