- Text Size +
-- February 14, 2008, 6:30 pm --

I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get dressed and ready, fix supper and mentally prepare for my big moment. Aj would be arriving home any minute and I wanted things to be absolutely perfect.

I'd called him earlier in the day and told him Valentine's dinner was out of the question because I was too sick to think about eating at a fancy restaurant -- and it wasn't a lie. He'd sounded bummed but I'd promised to make it up. We'd planned to watch a movie and cuddle on the couch all night.

Tonight was the night. I'd taken the tests two days before and had nearly told him at least a hundred times in those 48 hours... but I'd managed to keep my mouth shut and tonight was really the night. I wanted this Valentine's Day to be special somehow and this was the best thing I could think to do. I glanced at myself in the mirror for what must have been the twentieth time. I'd gotten dressed up and ready but I wanted to make sure I looked presentable.

Trust me, it's hard to look presentable when you've vomited 5 times in one day. Thank you morning, noon and night sickness!

On the outside I was a nervous wreck. I could only imagine how green I looked at that moment. On the inside... well I don't want to even think about what was happening in there. I was practicing my breathing techniques and trying hard not to dry heave when I heard his key jiggle in the lock. I ran over to the video camera on the shelf and pushed record. I wanted to get his reaction... his genuine reaction... so he couldn't know I was filming this. I reached down on the coffee table and picked up the test right as he walked in the door.

"Honey I'm Hoooo-- Oh. Hey." He caught sight of me and frowned laying the bouquet of roses he'd been carrying down on the table. I frowned back... why was he frowning?

"Geez babe, talk about not feeling good. I can tell... you're GREEN!" He walked over and put a hand on my forehead. I backed quickly away and he gave me a sideways glance, "You should be in bed... go I'll bring you some soup or something." I shook my head. He looked at me. I smiled.

"Why are you smiling? What's going on?"

I held my hand out to him and handed him the test. He looked down at it for a moment and then up at me, then down again and up and down and repeated the process about ten times before he finally stopped.

"Is this what I think it is?" He asked looking at me with a grin on his face. That was a good sign.

I nodded.

"You mean... you and me... us... we're gonna have a... we're gonna be...." It was clear he couldn't finish the sentence so I nodded and finished it for him.

"We're gonna have a baby Aje!" I yelled out loud thankful to finally be saying it to someone other than myself, "Happy Valentine's Day!"

I'd set myself up for a million different reactions. Sadness, anger, acceptance... but I'd never quite expected the one I received. He ran over to me and took me in his arms and picked me up.

"Oh my god babe! Oh my god!" He lifted me in the air and spun me around. I tapped his shoulder quickly and motioned for him to put me down, which when he saw the look on my face he did quickly. Spinning was definitely not a good idea in my condition.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, you okay?" He eyed me nervously.

I stood there for a minute trying to focus on keeping my stomach inside my body and after a few moments I nodded.

"So you're happy?"

He looked at me like I was nuts. "Am I happy? Of course I'm happy Jess. This is awesome news!"

I was shocked. I turned around and gave a thumbs up to the video camera on the shelf. Aj was now dancing around the living room chanting, "I'm gonna be a dad, I'm gonna be a dad!"

I sat on the couch watching him and smiled. It hadn't been the reaction I'd expected... not at all.

In fact... it had been a thousand times better.