- Text Size +
“Baby but I leave in a week, we need to spend as much time together as possible,” Nick whined into the phone.
“I’m sorry but I need to see some of my friends tonight. They think I’ve disowned them.” Stacie told Nick getting her mail.

“Can I come sleep over tonight at least?”

“I may not be home until late. We’re doing dinner and then going out for drinks. I already invited you.”

“But I don’t want to go out for drinks. I need my rest right now.”

“Then stop whining Nick!” she laughed and started going through her mail.

“But I wuv you?”

“Cute Carter,” she stopped flipping through the envelop when her eyes fell onto red marker with her name and address. “I have an idea, how about you come over whenever you want so you can be here when I’m already home. You can play my Guitar Hero.”

“Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. See you in ten.”

“Hey wait—” but she heard the dial tone before she got another word in. She shook her head and walked up to her apartment opening it up. She threw her purse on the counter with her keys and mail; still holding the piece of mail that caught her attention. She ran her thumb through the top, tearing it open and pulled out its contents. It was a newspaper clipping. The headline read: Fiancé Killed in Snowboard Accident. Before reading the article she had already read over a year ago again, she looked to see if there was anything else in the envelope. There was a small piece of paper that said, it should’ve been you. The letters were written in the same form as the back of the picture that was found on the ground that day her apartment was discovered it had been broken into. She picked up the clipping and couldn’t help her self and read it.

Kissimmee Bridge—Buffalo,NY
Yesterday afternoon, twenty-five year old, Ryan Atwood was killed in a freak snow boarding accident on the slope. Atwood was not a stranger to the sport, he competed in the X-games and was familiar with the mountain.

Witnesses say that they saw his fiancé, Anastasia Stevens, twenty-three, was following him. Source says Stevens tried to cut Atwood, causing him to lose balance and take a fall down the mountain.

Snow board bindings are not made like ski bindings are harder to come out of. Atwood’s bindings snapped, causing more trouble as he tumbled lifelessly down the hill. Atwood suffered from internal bleedings and died within moments of snow patrol arriving at the scene.

No further news as to when memorial services will be held.

“What ya reading?” Nick’s voice started Stacie and she dropped the piece of paper. “Sorry,” he laughed and picked it up. He read the head line and then looked at her. She just handed him the entire envelope and sat down on her couch. Nick read the article and looked at the piece of paper with it and then sat with Stacie.

“I didn’t cut him, he was too far ahead.”

“You need to bring this down to the station,” Nick put a hand on her leg.

“I had cops questioning me for weeks after that article was printed. They really thought I had caused it, I didn’t; I wasn’t near him. We did make a bet to see who could get down the hill first. It was something we always did and I never won because well, the article had something right. He did partake in the x-games and did well in them. I was the better surfer though,” Stacie half laughed.

“You have no idea who would’ve sent this to you babe?”

“No. But I don’t have time to think about it. I have to get ready and then take this down to the station before meeting everyone out,” she stood up and headed for her room.

Nick didn’t know what to do or say. He wasn’t there that day; he never went through anything like this and didn’t know how to help Stacie out. Of course he didn’t believe what he read. He learned not to do that at an early age when the group first started becoming popular. He was however, worried because this person new where she lived had been in her house and was making threats. Something had to be done but what?
~*~*~*~
“Okay girl let’s get you inside,” Peyton had Stacie’s arm around her neck and her arm around Stacie’s waist.

“I want to go dancing though,” she put her finger up to Peyton’s nose.

“We will next weekend but I think you need to get some sleep.”

“It’s early!”

“It’s one am.”

“Bars close at four or five!”

“Yes, not for you tonight. Where are your keys?”

“What keys?”

“Oh boy. Are they in your purse?”

“Just do this,” she rung the door bell.

“Stace come on no one is home, because you are out here with me.” Just as Stacie went to open her mouth Nick opened the door.

“NICKY!” Stacie jumped into Nick’s arms, wrapping her legs around his waist.

“I see we’ve had a good night tonight?” Nick laughed.

“She’s a mess. She doesn’t usually drink like this. Anyway, her car is down on Alexander because I can’t well drive stick. But it should be fine there for the night. Just call me tomorrow when you go to get it because I’m sure she won’t remember.”

“Thanks.”

“I’m heading out. Stace call me when you wake up after noon.”

“Bye bye.” Peyton shook her head laughing and walked out the door. Nick brought Stacie in and set her on the couch.

“What do you have to say for yourself?” Nick asked looking down at the Stacie slouching in the couch.

“I love you?”

“Uh huh. So, why did we drink so much tonight?” He sat down next to her.

“We didn’t. I did,” she started laughing.

“Okay, why did YOU drink so much?”

“It just started out with a beer and then I had another and then switched to cranberry vodka and I bought a round of shots for people, I don’t remember how many there was of us and well yeah the rest is history,” she shrugged her shoulders laughing.

“It wouldn’t have anything to do with what happened before you left tonight and the letter?”

“Shh, too much talky,” she put her hand on Nick’s mouth and sat up and straddled him. “Let’s go make love.”

“Let’s not tonight because you want to wait and that’s fine. Right now, that’s just the alcohol talking right now. Let’s go snuggle?”

“Hmm how about we kiss.” She pushed her lips against Nick’s and the two started kissing.
“This we can do and tomorrow we talk.”
*~*~*~*~* the Next Day*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“Let’s go Carter, time to get up!” Stacie smacked Nick’s butt. “We have to get my car and then we are going to the beach.”

“What time is it?”

“Eight am! Now move!”

“You don’t have a hang over?” Nick asked yawning.

“Nope not at all now let’s go!” she opened her curtains and pulled the sheets off of Nick.

“You’re already in your swim suit?”

“Duh I’m going to go downstairs and make some eggs,” she gave Nick a brief kiss and went downstairs. Nick got himself up and took a shower. Stacie was just putting the eggs and toast on plates as he came down.

“Hey you,” he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Morning,” she smiled and gave him a kiss. “Hungry?” she asked. Nick nodded and they took their plates and sat down at the counter.

“Do you know where your car is? Peyton said something about Alexander?”

“Well, I totally thought it was on Queens but maybe not?” she laughed taking a bite of the scrambled eggs.

“Peyton said to call her.”

“I was that drunk huh?”

“Yeah you were trying to take advantage of me, but I wouldn’t allow it.” Nick said smugly.

“Uh huh.”

“It’s true. So was there a reason you decided to drink the way you did last night?”

“Nope.”

“Are you lying?”

“Nope.”

“Are you lying now?”

“I just, it just kind of happened. You can’t tell me there has been times where you plan to go out for a couple and it turns into like six or seven drinks instead?”

“Yeah but—”

“But nothing. That’s all.”

“What did the cops say when you dropped the letter off?”

“Thank you and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.”

“That’s it?”

“They just have no idea who it is, I don’t either and besides breaking and entering there’s nothing illegal about sending threats really. If they’re not going to worry about it, why should I?”

“Maybe we should call someone else?”

“Who the FBI Nick? Come on.” The two finished their breakfast; Stacie called Peyton to find where exactly her car was they headed down to Main Street.

“She said it’s in that parking lot there,” she pointed across the street to Nick. He turned into the large stoned parking lot where sure enough Stacie’s car and a few others were. “Oh my God,” Stacie gasped as Nick pulled up to her car. Within seconds she jumped out of Nick’s car before he got into park and went to examine her own. Nick got out and walked up to where she was standing. The driver’s side window was smashed in with a note tapped to the steering wheel.

Stacie tore it off and threw it to the ground. Nick picked it up and read out loud, “How can you live with yourself and be happy as though nothing ever happened? He was never in love with you, not the way he was with me. I told you, it should’ve been you.” He looked at Stacie who was now squatting down to the ground with her head in her hands.

“Maybe now they’ll get more serious,” she stood up and took her phone out of her purse. She called the officer who was on the case originally and gave them the address where they were at.

“It’s going to be okay.” Nick went to hug Stacie but she pushed him away and took seat on the hood of her car.

“I’m sure it is,” she mumbled and watched the street’s traffic pass them by. Within ten minutes two cop cars pulled in. It was Robert’s and his partner Danido. They never were told their first names. The two cops walked up to them and looked at the car’s window and then walked around the perimeter. “Hi there Ms. Stevens, Mr. Carter. You said over the phone you just found your car like this now?” Roberts wrote something on his pad of paper.

“Yeah, there was this attached to the steering wheel too,” Nick handed the officer the note.

“This is the third one right Miss?” Roberts asked.

“Yeah.”

“You have no idea still or any possibilities on whom it could be?”

“Not at all. I don’t know?” she ran her fingers through her hair. “But what are you doing to do to find out? I can’t keep changing locks on my door and replacing windows.”

“We can try to get finger prints off this note and around your car. If you need we can send a patrol car to your home for a couple nights.”

“I’m not worried about this person coming back to my home, but I get a letter one day and the very next my car is broken into with this statement.”

“Look Mam we’re going to do everything we can to track this person down. Now we’re going to do our job right now, we’ll have it towed to wherever you want when we’re done and give you a call later on.”

“Patrick’s Dealer on Blossom,” she told the officer and walked back to Nick’s car and got in. She watched as Nick said some words, shook their hands and got into his car.

“Do you want me to take you home?” Nick asked starting up the car.

“And do what?”

“I don’t know, don’t get mad at me.”

“I’m sorry Nick I just don’t think this going to go anywhere. This person obviously knows me enough to know where my car was last night. I mean are they watching me right now or what?” she looked out the window and Nick took her hand.

“Stay at my place for a while alright? Just until there is a better handle on all of this.”

“I don’t want to be scared out of my own home.”

“Just do it for me especially when I’m leaving in a few days, I’m going to be worrying about you.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m not having it any other way.”

“Alright.”

“Let’s back to your house, pack some things up, go to my place and then we’ll go to the beach for the rest of the day. How does that sound?”

“Good,” she smiled. “Thank you.” She leaned over towards Nick and gave him a kiss.

“There’s that smile.”