- Text Size +
“Guess what I bought when you were out last night,” Nick smiled walking into his house.

“Me a present!” Stacie jumped up and down.

“Sorta,” Nick went around the corner and then pulled out a large surf board.

“I think it will be too big for me, but its great thanks!” Stacie reached for the board.

“No way, this one is mine so I stop using yours!”

“I’m kidding, it’s great. Let’s go test it out!”

“I’m going to go get my suit on,” Nick set the board against the wall and disappeared into his room. Stacie heard his phone start to ring on the table where his keys were and she looked down to see who it was.

“Hey Brian,” she answered.

“Did I call you or Nick?”

“Nick, he’s just changing. What’s up?”

“I was seeing what you two were up to for the day?”

“We are about to head to the beach, what’s up?”

“Leigh is out with Bailey so I’m bored.”

“Come over here, I think he mentioned A.J. might be stopping by too. Nick just got a surf board so we’re going to play around.”

“You sure I’m not crashing?”

“Get your butt over, just come down to the beach; you’ll know where we’ll be.”

“See you in bit.”

“Later B,” Stacie hung up the phone and saw Nick walk out.

“Who was that?”

“My other boyfriend.”

“A.J?”

“No. I told you I’m in love with Brian.”

“Yes, but he has a kid. Now let’s go.”

“He’s on his way over, I told him to.”

“Okay, A.J. is probably too, I think I told you that.”

“You did.”

“Let’s head down.” Nick took his board, and Stacie took my bag that had sun screen, towels and cell phones. She threw a few bottles of water in, grabbed her board and they headed down to the beach.

“The waves are decent; they’ll be bigger in a few hours though.”

“I need to work on my tan, that’s okay,” Nick plopped his board into the sand and took his towel out. He spread it out in the sand and laid down.

“Gee thanks,” Stacie said sarcastically and took her towel and laid it down.

“What?!” Nick questioned. Stacie only laughed and shook her head.

“Let’s go swimming.”

“Now?”

“You are such a girl sometimes Carter, do you know this?” Stacie stood up and headed for the water. Just before she reached it Nick came up behind her, picked her up and ran into the water.

“Who is the girl now?” Nick asked still holding Stacie.

“You,” she squirmed out of his arms and dunked him into the water.

“I think we should take the boat out later, do some skiing off the coast where its calm.”

“That sounds like fun. We just have to wait for A.J. and Brian.”

“Let’s go up and give them a call and they can meet us.”

“What about surfing?”

“We can later and tomorrow morning I’ll get up early with you.”

“You promise about tomorrow morning?”

“I promise,” Nick took her hand and they went back up to get their stuff and headed back to Nick’s house. Nick called A.J. while Stacie called Brian.

“Brian said he’d meet us at the boat launch,” Stacie told Nick.

“A.J. is just picking up Jen and then he’ll meet us at the launch too.”

“Should we pack like some snacks and stuff, it seems like a beautiful day?”

“Sure, I’ll get the cooler.”

“I’ll start seeing what you have…we may have to go to the store though knowing you.”

“Hey, I went a couple days ago!” Nick yelled going out to the garage.

“Okay babe,” Stacie laughed and started going through the cupboards.

Within twenty minutes the two were out the door and heading for the boat launch where Nick kept his boat. When they arrived, they saw Brian, A.J. and Jen standing in the parking lot talking.

“Hey guys!” Stacie called hopping out of Nick’s car.

“Hi, how are you?” Brian asked giving her a hug.

“Great, Jen, good to see you,” she gave her a hug.

“We, ready to head out?” Nick asked getting the cooler.

“Ay ay captain!” Brian saluted Nick and helped him with the cooler over to where the boat was. The guys uncovered it and we all piled in and Nick took her out into ocean.

“Where are we going to go?” Jen asked sitting in the bow of the boat.

“Over to the cove so we can do some skiing, is that good?”

“Do you ski?” Brian asked Stacie.

“Slalom,” she replied.

“Ohh, one ski nice! Nick your girlfriend is up first!” Nick nodded his head and smiled at Stacie.

“I’d rather not go first.”

“Why not?” Jen asked.

“It’s been like two years.”

“Hey, I can’t even get up on two half the time. I’m sure you’ll look like a pro out there,” Jen laughed. Nick brought the boat to a stop and he stood up and unhooked a ski from the tower. He handed it Stacie and got the rope out.

“Nick, Brian was just telling me he wanted to go first,” Stacie looked at Brian.

“I did not, you are going!” Brian threw a life jacket at her.

“NO way!” Stacie threw the jacket back at him.

“Well, someone has to go!” Nick said hooking the ski rope up.

“Fine,” Stacie gave in and put her life jacket on. She adjusted the ski so it was on its smallest fit and threw it into the water. She jumped in and put the ski on. “This may take a few tries,” she warned Nick.

“You’re fine babe,” he yelled out and pulled the boat so that Stacie was straight behind it. “Ready?!” he yelled back.

“Hit it!” Stacie yelled. Nick pushed down the throttle all the way and the boat sped up, pulling Stacie right up and out of the water. “Whoooo, way to go baby!” Nick yelled.

“Told you she would look like a pro out there, look at her cutting the water!” Jen told A.J. Stacie skied for a good eight minutes until she hit a rather large wave and wiped out. Nick turned the boat and headed towards where she fell. He turned the boat off after he reached her and Brian reached for her ski.

“You looked hot out there,” Nick smiled to her as she climbed up onto the boat.
“It was hard,” she laughed and took off her life jacket. “But it was fun. Bri you ready?” She asked throwing him the wet life jacket.

“Yes, but I need two ski’s,” he told Nick. Nick reached up to the tower and took the other ski now and handed it to Brian. Brian put on a life jacket and got ready next. “So how do I do this?” he asked no one in particular as he looked at the skis lying on the back of the boat.

“Haven’t you been?” Stacie asked holding her towel around her waist.

“Technically once, but it was not successful.”

“Yeah, Brian is not much of a water sports kind of guy,” Nick laughed.

“Like you ski better,” Brian shot him a glance.

“I can get up at least on two. I’ll just end up dragging you because you always fall to the side before I pull you up. Come on the sky is getting dark for some reason,” Nick shot back.

“Brian just think, stay tucked in a ball, knees to chest, arms bent. Let the boat pull you up, don’t try to stand,” Stacie gave him some pointers and Brian jumped into the water.

“A ball huh?” Brian asked struggling to put the skis on.

“Yes, arms tucked into you,” Stacie laughed.

“I can’t get these damn things on,” Brian wined and kept falling to his face in the water.

“Hold on,” Stacie let her towel fall off of her and she dove into the water to help Brian. She swam up to him and helped him get his foot into the ski.

“It’s too tight,” he told her and she adjusted the ski to where it felt good. She then had to swim a little ways to get the other ski that drifted away from them. She got it and pushed it towards Brian. She helped him get the next ski on.

“Okay so, here take the rope,” she handed him the rope. “Show me how you’re going to start.” Brian held onto the rope, bent his elbows so they were into his chest and tucked his knees up as well.

“How am I supposed to keep my balance?” he asked as he kept bobbing side to side.

“You won’t be here very long, just think about squeezing your body.”

“Okay if you say so.” Stacie swam back to the boat and got into it.

“You ready Rok?” Nick called out to his friend.

“Uh no,” Brian lost his balance and fell to on side again. “Okay…wait…yes…hold on…READY!” as soon as he said this Nick hit the throttle and Brian was being pulled. Before he got up he fell to one side.

“See, I told you. He just can’t seem to keep straight.” Nick told Stacie and he brought the boat back to Brian to where he could reach the rope. Brian grabbed the rope and got ready to try again.

“That was just warm up,” Brian joked.

“Sure B,” A.J. laughed. Nick straightened out the boat and looked back and asked Brian if he was ready.

“OKAY!” Brian yelled and Nick once again hit the throttle. Brian fell off to the other side.

“I don’t know how to get him up?” Nick told Stacie.

“I could try something, I’ve done with my cousins and it’s worked,” Stacie told Nick.

“Up to Brian.”

“Hey Bri, want me to try to do something and see if it helps?” she asked leaning over the back of the boat.

“Anything or we’ll be here all day. Trust me, this is like the fifth time I’ve tried and haven’t been able to get up.” Stacie put back on a life jacket and then jumped into the water.

“Nick, I want you to not hit the throttle all the way down right away, start kinda slow and then speed up. Try to feel the weight in the back.” Stacie told him and swam over to Brian.

“What are you doing?” Brian asked.

“Trust me. Now take the rope and get ready,” she gave Brian the rope and got behind him. “Now, I want you to lean back into me and get tucked, there you go. Now I’ll hold you like this and I really want you to just let the boat pull you up.”

“We can’t just drive away with you here in open waters.”

“Nah I’ll be fine, we’re like the only boat out here it is a Thursday. Now let’s go.” Brian leaned into her and he brought his knees up to his chest. “You ready?” she asked Brian.

“Yeah,” he said focusing ahead of him.

“HIT IT!” Stacie yelled to Nick. Nick slowly put the throttle all the way down and Brian stayed tuck until he was all the way out of the water. “WAY TO GO BRIAN!” Stacie cheered. Brian was up for a little bit until he tried to go out side the wake and then he took a fall. Stacie could hear everyone cheer for Brian on the boat and she began to swim a little. The boat was a good two miles away and knew Nick would be over as soon as they picked up Brian. As she kicked her legs however, she felt an intense sting. A feeling she was familiar with from surfing, a jelly fish sting. She used just her arms to swim forward in case there was more than one; unfortunately she was right and the same leg was stung but this time it was her foot.

“Okay Nick get your butt over here,” she told herself and continued to try to move forward. She saw the boat stop to where Brian was and watched as Brian handed them one ski and another. Everything seemed to be taking forever and it became harder for her to swim. The boat finally got moving again and sped towards where Stacie was. Her chest began to feel tight and her body became extremely weak. She rolled over onto her back and was thankful for the life jacket she had put on. A moment later Nick’s boat pulled up.

“Did you see that Stace?! I got up!” Brian laughed. Stacie tried to pull a smile but her leg was on fire.

“Come on get on board, it’s actually getting kind of rough out, I think a storm might be coming,” Nick told her.

“I sorta have a problem,” Stacie said trying get herself up right.

“What’s that?” Nick turned the boat off and looked down.

“I think I was stung by a jelly fish…twice.” She half laughed.

“What?!” Nick’s voice rose and moved to the back of the boat and went to where the steps were.

“Don’t jump in, there might be more, just give me your hand,” she told Nick reaching out her arm. Nick took it and pulled her closer to the boat, A.J. and Brian were now down by Nick and they pulled her up.

“Try stung by three there Stace,” A.J. said looking at her legs. “Two on your right and one on your left.” Nick took off her life jacket and threw it into the boat.

“What do you do for jelly fish stings?” Jen asked putting a towel around Stacie’s shoulders.

“Hospital,” Stacie said weakly. Nick picked her up and put her so she was lying down on the bench seat of the boat.

“I saw on friends they peed on Monica’s foot one time,” Jen suggested.

“Ew, do not pee on me.” Stacie laughed and her eyes started closing. Nick had already turned the boat around and was heading towards the boat launch.

“Brian call 911 because I think she may be going into shock, with her anemia I don’t want to chance it, we’ll be there in like ten minutes.” Brian nodded his head and took his cell phone out.

“Hi, this is Brian Littrell, I need an ambulance for my friend…her name is Anastasia Stevens…three jelly fish stings…twenty-four….we’re out in the boat, we will be at Dorsal loading dock in about ten minutes…she’s anemic…she’s very lethargic…her eyes keep wanting to close…okay. Stace you need to stay awake for me,” Brian cupped her face with his hand.

“I’m awake…it’s hard to breathe.”

“She said it’s hard to breathe…yes, she’s lying down…both legs, one on her right knee, one on right ankle and one on her left foot…the one on the knee looks the worse, it’s actually bleeding…A.J. wrap a towel around her knee…we have bottled water…okay…here Jen take the phone,” Brian handed her the phone and went to where the coolers were, he took out three bottles of water and brought them over. Nick’s eyes were focused straight ahead of him.

“What do you need?” A.J. asked Brian.

“We need to pour the water onto the wounds to get some of the salt water out and poison. Stace this might hurt a little,” Brian warned her as he opened up two water bottles. He gently took the towel off her knee and slowly poured the water. Jen reached for Stacie’s hand and Stacie squeezed it.

“Have you had stings before?” Jen asked Stacie.

“Twice, but at different times and they were pretty much dead, washed up on the beach. These don’t feel anything like them though.” Jen repeated to the 911 operator what she had just been told. “Ahh,” Stacie cried out as A.J dumped another bottle onto her knee.

“You’re okay,” Brian brushed back her hair from her forehead. He noticed she was sweating and her forehead was rather hot. He took another towel and dipped it into the ocean and wrung it out. He then started dabbing her head and neck with the cold towel.

“Nick—” she moaned out.

“I’m right here baby, we’ll be there soon.” Nick glanced back and became worried as soon as he saw how pale she was. The boat was already going the fastest as it could go and there were some decent sized waves he had to get through. That explained while the jelly fish were at the top of the water; because a storm was coming.

“The ambulance should be there when we get there the dispatcher said they were about two minutes away.”

“I can’t breathe,” Stacie went to sit up and pulled on Brian to help her.

“It’s best to stay lying down,” Brian took her shoulders and tried to gently push her back down. Stacie tried to resist him but was too weak, Brian was kneeling by her side, holding one hand and trying to keep her cool with the wet towel in the other.

“We’re here,” Nick said as he pulled his boat up to the dock. The ambulance was there with EMT’s already on the dock with their gear. A.J and Brian jumped out to help tie the boat up and EMT’s jumped into assist with Stacie.

“Hi Anastasia, my name is Brett, we have some jelly fish stings?” he asked taking her blood pressure. Stacie nodded her head.

“I’m going to run an IV through you so you don’t become dehydrated and one will help with any infection. Are you allergic to any medications?”

“No,” her eyes landed on Nick’s who was standing above the EMT’s, watching their every move.

“Okay, we’re going to take great care of you. Do you have asthma?” She shook her head no. “Steve could you get the O2 please?” he asked his partner as he put an IV into her arm. Steve brought over the oxygen tank and put the mask over her face.

“Just breathe regular, nice slow breaths now,” Steve told her.

“We’re going to take you to the hospital but we’re going to put this back board under you to get you out of the boat. I need you just relax,” Brett and Steve put a back board under her and put one strap over her legs, and one over her stomach. Nick and Brian helped the EMT’s lift her out of the boat and onto the gurney. “We can take only one of you,” Brett told Nick.

“Nick we’ll meet you at the hospital,” Brian patted Nick’s shoulder. “I’ll put your boat away.” Nick just nodded his head and climbed into the back of the ambulance with Stacie. He held her hand and watched as Brett continued to take her vitals while Steve drove.
~*~*~*~
“Is jelly fish stings life threatening?” Nick asked looking down at Stacie.

“Not usually, it all depends on the person and the intensity of the sting. She has about a third degree sting on her knee. See these marks,” he pointed to the lines around her knee. “It’s like the jelly fish wrapped its tentacles around her. The other two stings are mild like she swam in them and they just got scared. Her blood pressure is a little low but she’s anemic so that could play some part too. I think she’s going to be just fine, maybe not walking for a couple days but we’ll get these IV’s running through her.”

Within minutes the ambulance pulled into the hospital and Nick followed quickly behind the stretcher as it was wheeled into the hospital. Nick was told to wait in the lobby until a doctor came out. He took a seat in the crowded area and ran his fingers through his hair.

Nick felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out of his swim trunks and answered it.

“Hello?” he answered.

“It’s Brian, just wanted to let you know we’re on our way down. How is she?”

“They just took her away, the EMT’s said she should be just fine though.”

“Good, well your boat is in its hoist and the cover is on. We’ll be there in about ten.”

“K.”

“Nick, hang in there.”

“I’m trying, I just, she doesn’t need this right now.”

“We’ll, talk when I see you.”

“Okay, bye.” They hung up the phone and Nick looked around the lobby. He saw a boy with an arm splint on, an older lady coughing into a tissue, a young woman bouncing a two year old on her lap while getting the five year old to stay seated.

“Nick Carter?” A doctor came out a few minutes later.

“Right here,” Nick stood up and walked over to the doctor.

“Hi, Doctor Smith,” he shook Nick’s hand. “Anastasia is going to be just fine. Now a days a jelly fish sting is nothing more than a bee sting if you treat it fast enough. She’s getting some fluids ran through her body right now and her stings are being dressed.”

“Her knee was pretty bad I was told?”
“It probably feels worse than it looks to her actually. When the tentacles squeeze something, they’re stronger than they look. It is probably going to feel like a third degree burn with a side of a sprain. With the other two stings, she’s not going to be up for walking for a bit. We’ll give her a pair of crutches to use but really she needs to rest.”

“Her blood pressure and all that? She is anemic,” Nick folded his arms over his chest.

“It’s almost back to normal she will feel weak for the rest of the day but that’s to be expected. She can go home in a couple hours. I’ll send someone out to get you when she’s about ready, she’s sleeping right now.”

“Thank you,” Nick shook his hand again and took a seat just as Brian, A.J. and Jen walked into the lobby.

“How is she?” Jen asked hugging Nick. Nick explained everything that the doctor just told him.

“So, if you guys want to go that’s fine. I’m going to take her back home with me as soon as she’s released.”

“We’ll wait around Nicky,” A.J. put an arm around Nick and they took a seat.

Small talk was made but everyone was exhausted from the days events. Nick’s phone vibrated and he answered it.

“Hello?...this is Nick Carter, yes it was taken in today... Nothing was found?..I see…yes, that card number will do…I appreciate it…this number is fine…thank you.” Nick closed his phone and put it back into pocket.

“Who was that?” Brian asked.

“Oh, I didn’t tell you what’s been happening…her car was broken into last night or this morning or sometime in between.”

“What?!” A.J. and Brian said the same time.

“Yeah, it’s been a long couple of days…”Nick went on and explained about the letters, the picture, the article, and the car. “So, I gave them my credit card number to just put the charges on it, whatever her insurance wouldn’t handle.”

“And they found nothing?” Brian asked.

“Nope. And now she’s sick here and she’s just been through enough ya know? I don’t know why she can’t get a break.”

“Things come in three’s,” A.J. said.
“Her fiancé dies, she tries to kill herself, and then her home is broken into, she has a scare of having cancer, and then her car and now the jelly fish.” Nick paced back and forth.

“She tried to take her life?” Brian asked with concern.

“Ugh, yeah I wasn’t going to tell you guys. I think she wanted to keep it confidential. But it was after her fiancé and she got the help she needed.”

“Well, the first two kinda go together, the home and her car one, she doesn’t have cancer so we can exclude that and just count the jelly fish. So there, three.” A.J. stated.

“Oh, A.J…” Brian sighed.
~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~ Two Hours Later~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“We’re going to leave Tuesday at five am to go to Florida to record the rest of the album?”A.J. conferred with Brian.

“Yes, and hopefully be done in a couple weeks since we have three songs done already. Then we start promotions in NY.” Nick stood against a pillar waiting to hear about his girlfriend; as Brian and A.J. talked about the new album to keep busy.

“Where is she?” Peyton came into the waiting room breathing hard.

“She’s still in the E.R. They said they’ll come get us when she’s ready to leave,” Brian told her.

“He doesn’t look good,” Peyton nodded her head towards Nick.

“He’s just worried,” Brian reassured her. Peyton went up to Nick and put her hand on his shoulder.

“Hey,” she whispered. Nick turned to face her and Peyton pulled her in for a hug. “She’s strong Nick. Besides the hospital is kind of her second home,” she tried to joke. Nick didn’t laugh.

“Excuse me, Mr. Carter? Your girlfriend is about ready to go. She’s just filling out some papers and then a nurse will bring her out,” another nurse came out to tell him.

“Thank you,” Nick sighed out. A few minutes later Stacie was wheeled out to the group.

“Are we having a party without me?” she joked. Peyton knelt down and gave her a hug.

“Only you would manage to be stung by a school of jelly fish,” she shook her head.

“Are you alright?” Nick asked giving her a brief kiss.

“I’m fine. I just want to go home.”

“What am I to do with you Stace?” Nick smiled. She smiled back and shrugged.

“You heard the little lady, get her home!” Brian yelled and started pushing her out the door. Everyone followed and got into the car.