- Text Size +
"And she just walked out and she won't answer my calls. I just figured she would've called you," Nick told Payton frustrated.

"Nick, I'm so sorry. But no she hasn't called me, but I'm sure she will soon. I really wouldn't worry Nick, she's crazy in love with you; maybe it's just that time of the month for her."

"She just kept telling me that, the person she was being around me, wasn't her."

"Go do something and get your mind off her Nick. You know what, she's calling me right now. I'll call you back okay hon?"

"Sure, thanks Payton."

"Anytime Nick. Go for a walk on the beach and clear your mind." Payton switched over to Stacie's call. "What's going on girl?"

"I don't know who I am anymore."

"What? Where is this coming from?"

"I just realized it today, I went running instead of surfing and I am just so in love with Nick and I shouldn't be because I'm supposed to be with Ryan. Nick doesn't deserve to be treated the way I've been treating him and I am NOT a weak person. I was weak once and never again."

"Girl, you need to relax and get a drink. You've been treating Nick like he's a king and it is time to move on from Ryan. You've been going through a lot with your body. But you're going to be okay now that you found a doctor that isn't on crack. Now is the time to enjoy with Nick and with yourself."

"But now that I have this person breaking into my home, writing creepy letters and destroying my car I--"

"Need Nick more than ever and it's fine to depend on someone."

"I shouldn't depend on him."

"Have you talked to him about any of this about how you're feeling before making this irrational decision of breaking up the best thing that's happen to you?"

"No but I know this is for the best."

"You need to go to the beach, get on your board and think about what you're doing."

"My board is at Nick's though."

"So go get it."

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, just have an errand to run. Call me later or I'll call you to check in on you." Payton told her getting into her car.

"Okay, you're the best. I really wouldn't be here with without you, I love you."

"Love you too Stace. Go be a surfer girl."

"Bye," Stacie laughed a little and hung up the phone. Payton had called Nick back while she drove.

"Did you talk to her?" He asked as soon as he answered.

"I did, Nick I'm on my way over to you alright? I think it's best if I were in person to talk to you and be there."

"That doesn't sound good."

"I'll be over in ten sweetie." Payton smiled and hung up her phone and headed over to Nick's.
~*~*~*~
Stacie pulled into Nick's drive way and was surprised when she saw Payton's car in the drive way. She knocked on the door and rang the door bell and when no one answered she opened the door and walked in.

"Hello?" She called out. "Nick, it's Stace, I just wanted to get my board." There was no answer still and she walked out the back door where her board was leaning against the side of the house next to Nick's. I put my hands on my hips and looked out into the water. My eyes looked up and down the beach and I spotted two figures walking. It took me a minute to see who it was but the tall blond stuck out and I knew it was Nick.

It was obvious that Payton was the other person walking with him and Stacie walked down the beach a little. Payton had her arm around Nick's waist talking to him. Confused as to what exactly was going on, she figured it would be best to just get her board and head down to the other side where she usually surfed.

"Maybe you two aren't meant to be Nick," Payton tried reasoning with him.

"I really feel as though there is no other person I'm supposed to be with. It just doesn't make any sense to why she would just up and leave me."

"She has been through a lot and she's not exactly stable hon. She could very well be going through a break down."

"No, she's not having a break down. But she has been through a lot, she's seems as though she's been a lot better lately. I have to get her back."

"Maybe space is best for her right now."

"You think?"

"I've known the girl for years. Let her come to you. I'm sure she'll be coming around soon."

"I guess. Hey Payton, thanks a lot for being here. You're a good friend."

"Anytime Nick," the two continued to walk along the beach.

In the mean time, Stacie had gone to her spot and waited out in the ocean for a wave to catch. She must have waited at least an hour before giving up and heading back into shore. There had been a couple of waves she could have caught but her heart wasn't into it. It didn't add up to her though, surfing was the one thing she could do no matter what emotion she was feeling.

Strapping her board on top of her car, she decided to call it a day since she had to be at a school at five am the next day for a football practice.

Once home, Stacie took a hot shower and changed into comfortable pajamas and settled into her bed to call it a night. Her mind was on Nick and she couldn't help but think that she made a mistake. She fumbled with her cell phone in hand, opening and closing it.

"Just call him," I said out loud. I opened the phone and hit the send button knowing Nick's number would be listed under previous calls. As I was about to hit the send button again my phone rang. "Hey Payton," I answered.

"Hey you, how are you doing?"

"Eh, heading to bed soon. I was about to actually call Nick."

"Oh honey, good thing I called."

"Why is that?" Stacie wanted to ask about why she was over at Nick's earlier but decided against it.

"I talked Nick earlier and he's pretty upset over all of this. More angry I would say and I'd just give it a few days."

"Angry? That doesn't sound like Nick."

"What do you expect? You just lost it and left him." Stacie was a bit taken back from Payton's words. "Oh, I'm sorry Stace. Just do your own thing for a while and get yourself together a bit okay? You have been under a lot stress."

"I guess. I just miss him so much already and it's been what a day?"

"Trust me, give it a few more days."

"I'm going to bed, I will talk to you tomorrow."

"Okay, call me if you need anything."

"Thanks, goodnight." I hung up the phone, anticipated on whether or not to call Nick and set the phone down on my nightstand. "I can handle a few days. It will be good for me." I coaxed myself against it and closed my eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The next two days passed extremely slow for both Nick and Stacie. Both trying to stay busy in his and her work and both doing everything they had within them not to contact the other person.

Stacie had however woke up that morning feeling rejuvenated and a sense of clarity filled her body. She went for an hour run, then showered and got dressed for the day. She knew exactly what she was doing and was determined to get Nick back. Dressing in a white mini skirt and light blue tank top, she went down the stairs and into her office. It was time to take down the pictures of her and Ryan and put away the things that reminded her of him. Placing the items into a cardboard box, she brought them down into the basement and onto a shelf. She then bounded up the stairs, grabbed her purse and keys and was in her car.

She put her sunglasses on, turned up the volume to her ipod that was connected and listened to "Stop and Stare" by One Republic. She did her best not to speed as she headed to Nick's place. She was stopped at a light when her phone rang and she answered.

"Hello!?" She smiled.

"Hey Stace it's me, how are you?"

"I'm great Pay, I know exactly what I want and need in my life and am on my way over to get Nick back right now!" She said excitedly into the phone.

"Oh," was all Payton had to say.

"Everything alright?"

"I'm fine, I don't want to kill your mood."

"No tell me, I don't think anything can kill my mood."

"Well, Eric and I, we broke up."

"Are you serious? What happened?"

"I don't even know, we got into a huge fight and next thing I know, our year relationship is down the drain."

"I'm so sorry. What can I do?"

"Nothing, I should probably be by myself," she sighed into the phone.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you go get Nick back."

"Alright, hang in there. I will call you a little later." They hung up and Stacie felt bad for her friend but had to keep her own spirits high. She finally pulled around the corner and saw Nick shooting hoops in his large drive way. Pulling the car to the side of the drive way, so she wouldn't disturb Nick, she took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"You can do this," she gave herself a small pep talk. She got out of the car and made her way over to Nick who had shot the ball and missed. She picked it up and made a jump shot herself, making the ball into the net.

"Anastasia?" Nick asked getting the ball.

"Hey," she smiled almost shyly.

"What are you doing here?"

"Nick, can we talk?"

"Sure," he said slowly and set the ball down in the grass. "Want to go for a walk on the beach?"

"I'd like that." They took off their shoes and headed down the beach.

"How've you been?" He asked shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I've been better," she shrugged. "You?"

"Same." They made it down to the shores edge and Stacie stopped, and reached for Nick's hand.

"Nick I was such a fool for leaving you. I thought I needed to be on my own and being without you made me realize that I needed you." Nick looked out to wide ocean and then back into Stacie's eyes. "I am so sorry for hurting you but I didn't feel like I was being myself around you and I wasn't because I wasn't dealing with what everything was going on."

"I know you are a strong person Stace. You have been through more than any person your age should have to go through and it has only made you stronger. But it is alright for you to lean on someone and all I wanted to be was that someone for you."

"I know you did. And it meant the world to me that you were there and your friends have been great in supporting me. I mean Brian found that doctor for me and all. I didn't want to do anything the last couple of days and today I just woke up with this whole new sense of clarity and I want to be with you and experience new things and deal with this person who is stalking me."

Nick didn't say anything and his silence was beginning to make her feel nervous. She bit her lip and knew she had to continue being honest with her feelings. She now took Nick's other hand and pulled herself closer to him. "Nick I love you."