- Text Size +
“ANASTASIA!” Nick called out as soon as she fell under the water’s surface. She dove under the water to where the surfboard bounced; she came up coughing and spitting water. “Stacie, are you okay?” Nick now had her in his arms. “Stace talk to me,” Nick looked down into his arms.

“I’m fine, I just slipped off a sand bar,” she smiled up at him weakly.

“Are you sure? You’re really pale babe,” Nick set her down carefully, still holding onto her and now the board; they walked up to the beach. Nick watched as she fell to her knees, trying to catch her breath. “You’re not okay, what’s wrong? You didn’t slip out there,” Nick had his hand on her shoulder. She went to stand up and he saw how shaky she was.

“Can we go back to your place?”

“Of course,” Nick helped her stand as they made their way back to the beach house. Nick set her surf board against the house. She was sitting on a chair under the umbrella, head in hands. Nick couldn’t help but feel worried. He reached inside and grabbed a towel, he wrapped it around her and rubbed her arms trying to warm her up.

“Thanks,” she said. “Nick could I have an apple or something?”

“Of course, here why don’t you go get dressed and I’ll make some dinner?”

“I need something right now,” she shook her head still in her hands.

“Okay…” Nick went inside, took an apple out of a basket and watched it off. He brought it back outside and handed it to Stacie.

“Thank you, but yeah dinner sounds great. I’ll go get dressed.” She took a bite out of the apple and ate it slowly.

“You’re not getting sick are you?” Nick felt her forehead.

“No,” she smiled. “I’ll be back in a minute,” she disappeared inside to get dressed. Ten minutes later she into the kitchen where Nick was fixing dinner.

“Feel better?” Nick asked coming up to her, wrapping his arms around her for a hug.

“Yes, sorry about that, I don’t know what my problem is.”

“It’s alright, as long as you’re okay. Do you like pasta?”

“I do,” she smiled at him and took a seat at stool at the counter.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“It was the weirdest thing Brian, she just like totally changed personalities. But when she came out of that water, she looked sick, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to get out.” Nick explained to Brian about the previous night’s events as they waited for A.J. and Howie to show up at the studio.

“Maybe she was embarrassed? She seems like she’s a very strong person?”

“Maybe,” Nick thought.

“What’s up?!” A.J. yelled coming into the room with Howie, with a bag of McDonalds.

“Nick here is telling about his new crush,” Brian laughed hugging A.J. and Howie.

“Ohh, the mystery surfer? So, she is real Rok?” Howie asked.

“She’s real and I don’t know what she sees in Nicky here.”

“Hey!”

“I’m just playing relax. But she is pretty woman,” Brian smiled at his friend.

“Alright enough of picking on Nick…for now. Let’s try to get a whole song recorded today.” A.J. said taking a seat.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So you like this guy?” Peyton asked her best friend as they jogged down the beach.

“I’m not sure,” Stacie exclaimed.

“But you’ve been hanging out with him every night since you two met. What’s the deal?”

“I’m not sure.”

“ANASTASIA MARIE!”

“Alright, it’s just, he’s the first guy since…you know, that has given me butterflies in my tummy. It’s like being out in the ocean, I forget about any worry I have when I’m with him and he makes me laugh. I just don’t think I’m ready?”

“Girl, you’ve been through a lot this past year and the last two months have been kind of crazy for you, I know that. But you do not decide if you are ready, your heart will let you know.”

“You’re right.”

“Let’s have like bon fire tonight! It’s the weekend, it will be fun! We can feel like we’re in college again.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, invite you Backstrut man, I’ll bring Eric, it will be fun. Maybe some other friends?”

“It’s already almost noon, we better start calling. And it’s BackSTREET Boy.”

“Oh, he’s only a boy?”

“Yeah, like I want him to meet you!” Stacie pushed her friend and turned around taking off faster.

“Race you to the car!” The two friends raced until they both reached the car, panting and out of breath. Peyton reached into her Mustang and grabbed two water bottles and threw one at Stacie.

“Call him now!”
“I think he’s busy,” Stacie explained that he was in the middle of making a record.

“If he’s busy, his phone will go to voicemail and you can leave a message,” Peyton told her. Stacie thought about it for a moment and knew she was right. She took her cell out of her purse and hit the send button. Nick’s number appeared from a previous call the night before and listened to it ring.

“Hello?” Nick’s voice answered the phone.

“Hey!” Stacie was surprised he answered on the first ring.

“Hey you, what’s up?”

“I thought you were busy today?”

“Lunch break.”

“Ahh I see. Well, I was just on a run with my friend Peyton and we sorta had a crazy idea…”

“I’m listening.”

“Bon fire tonight?”

“Sounds fun. Want to have it at my place so we can do it right on the beach?”

“That would be perfect, if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all babe, how about you come over around eight, bring whomever you want.”

“Alright, sounds good.”

“Can’t wait to see you,” Nick smiled as he said this. Stacie couldn’t help the big grin that appeared on her face.

“Ditto. Bye Nick!”

“Later.”

“So, it’s a go?” Peyton asked getting off her phone at the same time.

“Nick’s at eight.”

“Eric and I will swing and pick you up on the way.”

“Okay, I’ll pick up some stuff to make smores.”

By nine, A.J. his girlfriend Amanda, Howie and his girlfriend Jen and Brian and Leigh were sitting around the camp fire with Eric and Peyton and Nick and Anastasia. Everyone had pretty much bought a bottle of wine and they were all talking, sharing stories and getting to know one another.

“Who wants a smore!?” Stacie asked lifting her stick up in the air.

“I’ll take one,” Nick said opening up the bag of marshmallows and handing her two.

“Hope you like extra crispy,” Eric warned Nick. Stacie shot him a glance.

“It’s my method and they come out great and gooey, you know that!” Stacie said matter of fact. She held the stick into the flames until there was a ball of fire on the end of the stick. She brought the burning end to her lips and blew softly until the flame went out. Nick couldn’t help at how sexy she looked doing it. He watched as she took her thumb and forefinger to the burnt marshmallow and carefully pull the burnt skin off.

“Gram crackers please,” she said holding her hand out. Nick gave a piece and she broke it in two. She placed the now gooey marshmallow in the middle and slid it off with the two pieces of cracker. She took a piece of chocolate out of the bag and slid it in between and handed it to Nick.

“Damn girl, I’m impressed,” A.J. said. Everyone had stopped talking and watched how carefully she had assembled the smores. Nick took a bite out of it and his eyes widened.

“It’s great!” He said with a mouthful. Stacie laughed and simply said, “I know.”

“I’m going to get a refill, anyone need anything?” Stacie asked.

“I’ll take a refill,” Brian said.

“Me too please,” Peyton held her glass up.

“I’ll just bring the next bottle out,” Stacie laughed.

“I’ll help you,” Nick stood up with her and followed her inside. When Stacie looked at Nick she started laughing. “What?” Nick asked.

“You have marshmallow all over your lips,” she said taking her pointer finger to his lips.

“Oh do I?” Nick asked getting closer to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist.

“You’re a slob, sorry,” Stacie shrugged her shoulders.

“Maybe you could help me get it off?”

“Maybe. Any suggestions on how I do that?”

“I can think of one way…” Nick’s voice trailed off into a whisper, his lips inches from her bubble gum lips.

“I think I can help,” she whispered back as they both leaned into one another and they started kissing.

“Hey could you get the Chardonnay this –whoa sorry!” A.J. said walking into the kitchen. Nick and Stacie pulled away abruptly.

“A.J. what do you want?” Nick asked almost snapping at him.

“Never-mind, I’ll get it myself,” A.J. tried not to laugh at the blushing couple as he reached into the refrigerator for the bottle of wine. He shook his head and disappeared back outside to the beach.

“Sorry about him,” Nick apologized for his friend.

“No, it’s okay.” Stacie dug her hands into the rear pockets of her jean shorts. “Let’s go back outside,” she told Nick and headed for the doors.

“Stace wait,” he took her hand and pulled her towards him. “Was that, back there, was that okay?”

“Relax Nicky,” she ruffled his hair and went back outside.

“And they both just pulled—Anastasia hey there!” A.J. said as saw her step outside onto the sand.

“A.J. were you telling stories again?” She asked laughing.

“Maybe,” was all he said.

“Let’s go swimming!” Stacie said and the nine new friends just looked at her as though she had another head coming from her neck.

“It’s ten at night!” Howie said looking at his phone.

“It’s dark,” his girlfriend Amanda agreed.

“It’s a full moon tonight and perfect,” Stacie said.

“I’ll go,” Peyton stood up.

“We would love to join, but we have to get home to Bailey,” Brian said taking Leigh’s hand.

“Aww okay next time Bri, it was great meeting you Leigh,” Stacie pulled her in for a hug and everyone said their good-byes to them.

“Do you at least want a swim suit?” Nick asked Stacie who was slipping off her sandals and taking out things from her pocket.

“What for?”

“That’s my kind of girl!” A.J. laughed as he started taking his hat off and watch.

Nick watched as Stacie pulled off her sweat shirt revealing a tight white tank top with spaghetti straps.

“C’mon Nicky,” she said pulling on his hand. “I’ll race you down!” She laughed and headed for the beach.

“I’m still a gimp! I’ll meet you down!”

“That one there is a spit fire,” A.J. pointed out as he followed his girlfriend down with Eric. Peyton was already in the water with Stacie.

“I know,” Nick smiled. He watched as Stacie and her friend jumped the waves screaming. The moon was bright enough that you could see half way out to ocean. Nick got to the water and Stacie walked up to him taking his hand.

“Are you telling me you never swim at night Nick?” she asked pulling him into the water.

“Well, no. It’s usually just me and it’s not really safe and…” Nick’s words were cut off as Stacie dunked him under water. He came up spitting the salty water. “You’re going to get it now!” He pulled Stacie under water.

“Wasn’t it like this in Jaws where that girl died?” Howie asked.

“D shut up man!” A.J. pushed Howie under water. Everyone started laughing. They were all having a good time when Nick noticed Stacie was gone.

“Stace?” he called out.

“Where did she go?” Howie asked.

“Hey where is Peyton?” Eric asked swimming up to the guys.

“I don’t know, I feel like they were just here.” Nick asked as he looked around the water. “Stacie!” He called out again.

“I bet they’re together planning something,” Eric explained. “They’re like Lucy and Ethel.”

“They do this stuff a lot?” Nick asked Eric.

“You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into man, they’ve been friends since first grade. They can read each other’s minds by just looking at one another. Hey I think I saw them over there,” he threw his chin over to a direction. Nick nodded and they casually started swimming to where they thought they were. Nick and Eric got closer up to the shore’s edge where it was shallow and the two girls stood up and started running.

“Get back here!” Eric laughed as him and Nick followed. The girls started laughing like little school girls. Nick ran about ten steps before he was down in the sand. “Man down!” Eric yelled by this time, A.J. and Howie were up at the beach the rest of them.

“You alright bud?” Howie asked Nick.

“Yeah,” Nick stood up with his friends help. Stacie got back down to where Nick was and went up to him.

“Sorry Nick, I forgot.” Her words were extremely concerned.

“It’s just sore, I’ll live, are you done causing mischief?”

“For now,” she put her arms around Nick’s waist. “Come on let’s head back in.” She noticed how bad Nick was limping and put his arm around her shoulder.

“I’m fine,” he tried to pull a fake smile but she could see how bad he was hurting.

“A.J. a little help?” she asked. A.J. got on Nick’s other side and helped him get back up to the house. They brought Nick in and Howie went to get towels. The girls helped clean up outside and Stacie got some ice for Nick.

“I think I just over did it a little,” he said putting his foot up onto a chair.

“It’s all swollen again Nick, what did you do today?”

“Recorded a song, maybe played a little basket ball…”

“Nick! You’re staying off of it tomorrow! Where is your air cast and wrap?”

“In my room on my dresser,” before he could say anything else she disappeared and was back. Stacie wrapped the ace bandage over the bag of ice and put on the air cast over it.

“Alright I think we’re all heading out, Nick man it’s been great meeting you. Thank you for tonight,” Eric shook Nick’s hand. Peyton hugged Nick.

“You coming with us?” Peyton asked Stacie.

“Yeah, I guess I didn’t drive,” she said.

“I can take you home later if you want to stay longer,” Nick spoke up.

“It’s alright, I don’t want you to be moving around,” Stacie said putting a hand on his lap.

“Well, that’s why you should stay a little longer to make sure I don’t move around,” he smiled.

“Okay we get it, call me tomorrow girl,” Peyton pulled Stacie in for a hug and kissed her cheek. “YOU don’t pull any moves on her!” she pointed a finger at Nick. He held up both hands in surrender.

Soon Howie and A.J. came and said goodbye and it was Nick and Stacie.

“Let me get you some dry clothes,” Nick stood up wincing a bit. He limped into his room and came out a minute later with a pair of plain boxers and a white tee. “They’re probably huge on you but they’re my smallest pair…and they’re clean.”

“They’re perfect, go get changed yourself,” she went into the bathroom to get changed. She came out and hung her clothes outside on a chair and waited for Nick in the living room. She flipped on the television and went through the channels landing on a twenty-four hour music channel. Her attention was shifted as Nick came out hopping on one foot.

“Sorry,” he said hopping over.

“Aww Nick, why don’t you use your crutches if its that bad?”

“You mean those crutches?” He pointed to the pair resting against the wall behind a chair. “It’s alright.”

“You should’ve called me,” she helped Nick sit down and took his legs up and over her lap. She gently placed a pillow under his bad ankle and rubbed his legs.

“Stasia?” Nick asked.

“Hmm?” she asked over to him.

“Earlier tonight?”

“Nick, it was a kiss, it was right for the moment, don’t dwell on it,” she laughed lightly.

“Oh…well did you like it?”

“No.” Nick raised his eye brows.

“I’m kidding, I said it was right for the moment, it was …special.” Nick smiled with that answer. Within the next twenty minutes they were both asleep.
_________________