- Text Size +
“We need a rock song on here next,” Nick argued with Howie who wanted to put some Latin flavor into the album.

“We already have a rock song Nick, we need a little Latino love from yours truly,” Howie laughed.

“Guys relax, I’ve got it, we’re going to go with some blues,” A.J. threw his hands up in the air. Brian shook his head and wished Kevin were there.

“Let’s just mix it all in,” Nick suggested.

“And we’ll have even less fans than we do now,” A.J. slapped Nick upside his head.

“HEY!” Nick cried.

“Let’s work on this one,” Brian showed a sheet that him and A.J. had started a while ago. No one disagreed and they continued to work.

A couple of hours later they heard Leigh, Amanda and Jen come into the house.

“Hey guys, how is the writing going?” Leigh asked giving Brian a kiss holding two bags in her hand.

“Surprisingly well right now, we just got almost two songs done,” Brian told his wife. “Find anything at the outlet?”

“There were a few cute stores, we got a few things,” Amanda said sitting on Howie’s lap.

“Yeah, there were some cute things. There was a cool snow boarding store, I wish Stace would’ve come, I think she would’ve loved it,” Jen added.

“I haven’t seen her all morning where is she?” Howie asked Nick. Nick looked down at his watch; it was already one-thirty.

“Sleeping I guess?” Nick set his guitar down and stood up.

“Damn, she’s got me beat if she’s been asleep since seven last night,” A.J. laughed. Nick headed up for the stairs and into his room. He went in quietly and saw the bead spread still pulled up to Stacie’s chin and her curled up in a ball, just like he had left her at ten that morning. He sat down gently on the bed and rubbed her back.

“Baby it’s time to wakey,” Nick spoke softly. When she didn’t respond he leaned in and kissed her. She let out a low murmur and fluttered her eyes open. When she saw Nick she smiled.

“Hi,” she whispered.

“Hi,” Nick said back and kissed her again. “It’s one-thirty sleeping beauty, time to get up.”

“Really? I feel like I just went to bed,” she rolled to her back and rubbed her eyes.
“You feel okay?” Nick asked looking into her eyes.

“I feel tired,” she sat up and leaned against the headboard. Nick brought his hand up to her forehead. “You feel a little warm.”

“I’ve been under ten blankets,” she laughed and pulled the blankets away from her and stood up. Nick watched as her night gown hung on her just above her knees. The sea foam green silk looked great on her tan skin and long legs. She then brought her hand up to her head and grabbed a post on the bed with the other. Her knees buckled and she fell down on them hard.

“Stacie!” Nick jumped up and knelt down by her. “What is it?” Nick had his arm wrapped around her.

“I’m just a little light headed, I’m fine,” she tried to pull herself up but felt too weak. Nick watched as she struggled and when her body trembled he picked her up into his arms and placed her on the bed.

“Are you still light headed?” Nick asked holding her hand.

“No, it’s gone,” she smiled up at him. “Could you get my medicine for me? They’re in a small black pouch in the bathroom mirror. Just bring the whole thing.”

“Of course,” Nick stood up and briskly walked to the bathroom, within seconds he was back with the bag and a cup of water. Stacie’s shaky hand unzipped the bag and took out a prescription bottle first. She pressed down on the cap and turned it but couldn’t get it off.

“Dammit,” she muttered and tried again. Nick gently took the bottle and opened it up.

“How many?”

“One,” she held her hand out and Nick tapped the bottle until one pill spilled out. She put it in her moth and took the water from Nick. She closed her eyes as she swallowed the large pill. She then opened up another case, the pink case that was used to test her blood sugar levels and insulin. As she opened the box she tilted her head back and let it rest on Nick.

“What can I do for you baby?” Nick asked rubbing the top of her hand with his thumb. At this point Stacie was frustrated for being so weak and being weak in front of Nick. She didn’t know why she was like this; it hadn’t been this bad in a while.

“I need that thing with the green button; I have to prick my finger on it.” Nick picked it up and brought her hand to it. She extended her index finger and told Nick to press down on the button. He did and it made a clicking noise and it was done. “Show me the numbers,” Nick held up the contraption and showed her the numbers. He had no idea what the numbers meant and she nodded her head.

“What does that mean?” Nick asked.

“I’m just a little lower than usual this morning. I’ll be fine as soon as I take my insulin.”

“Do you just stick it in your arm?” Nick looked at the shots. She shook her head no and lifted up her night gown.

“Don’t get any ideas Carter,” she joked and pulled down her underwear a little to show where the insulin went. “This plastic thing is like an IV; it’s just connected into me and makes sure the insulin goes right to my blood. I can do this part if you want.” She sat up a little and reached for one of the shots.

“Show me how to help,” Nick was sincere and he kissed her hip bone near the IV. She couldn’t help but smile and told Nick what to do. He carefully took the top off, gave it a small squirt and placed it into the IV. He looked into Stacie’s eyes for reassurance. She nodded her head and he pushed it in. “Does it hurt?” he asked.

“Once in a while it gets irritated but no. Okay there’s a white plastic tube that the needle has to go to. Every month I have to return them to a special place for safety reasons.” Nick found the white tube and put it in. He picked everything up and put it on a night stand.

“How are you feeling?”

“A little better, I’m sorry for that. That doesn’t usually happen; actually it hasn’t happened since before I was diagnosed.”

“Maybe we should get you looked at?”

“No, please it’s not a big deal.”

“Anastasia you almost passed out yesterday Leigh said and you almost did this morning. You slept like eighteen hours.”

“You have no idea about this, I’m fine. I promise.” She leaned into Nick and gave him a kiss.

“You would tell me?”

“If I were really worried then yes I’d tell you.”

“How come I don’t feel better from that answer?”

“Nick trust me.”

“I do, I just worry and we’re out here, it’s an hour to get to the town.”

“You’re sweet,” she stood up slowly out of bed and Nick helped her.

“You’re still shaky,” he warned.

“Hmm, maybe you should help me in the shower then,” she winked at Nick.

“I think it’s best just for safety.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay with you? I mean we could have the whole place to ourselves…”

“Nick, go skiing with everyone and have fun. I’m just going to work on a song. Besides we can have alone time whenever we’re back home as it is. Okay that should support it, just be easy.”

“Do you bring your medical tape and all that with you wherever you go?” Nick asked examining his newly taped ankle.

“It came in handy didn’t it?”

“Yes, thank you very much,” Nick gave her a kiss. “Okay last shot,” Nick warned.

“Go, but please come back to me in one piece along with everyone else.”

“I will, don’t worry while we’re go. We will probably be back just before or a little after dark. Tomorrow is our last full day here and we want to get in as much as possible today. Tomorrow you’ll come on the trials with us on the snow mobiles?”

“Absolutely, I’m excited for that. Now go!”

“Call me if you need anything.”

“I will. Have fun,” she gave Nick a hug and a small kiss and walked him to the door. “Bye guys!” She yelled out into the cold air and waved.

After Nick left she decided to start working on a song that had come to her since coming to the lodge. The rest of the day was spent playing her guitar, reading a book she brought by Nicholas Sparks, her favorite author and at five she made dinner for everyone for when they came back. She made a chicken dish with mushrooms and cheese with broccoli she had the girls pick up at the market the day before.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Oh man I haven’t been this tired since after our last tour a few years ago,” Brian said taking his boots off.

“Yeah, we need to start getting back into shape before touring,” A.J. agreed as he unzipped his coat and hung it on a hook in the foyer.

“Don’t look at me, I’ve been running,” Nick smirked. “We came in just at the right time though, it’s a blizzard out there!”

“We should listen to the news later at ten to find out if its going to clear up by tomorrow or not?” Howie suggested.

“Shh be quiet when you guys come in, Stacie’s sleeping in the living room,” Amanda poked her head around the corner.

“Sleeping? It’s like only seven,” Brian looked at Nick.

“Nap I guess?” Nick finished taking his wet clothes off and went into the living room where Stacie laid on the couch curled up in a ball. He took a seat next to her and brushed a piece of hair out of her face. “Hey you, I’m home.” Nick shook her gently and watched as she slowly opened her eyes.

“Hey,” she smiled. “What time is it?”

“Seven, we just got home.”

“Damn, I fell asleep like at like five. Oh, I made you guy’s dinner, it’s in the oven.”

“Awe you shouldn’t have done that, thank you. I’m going to just go change and I’ll be back down.” Stacie nodded towards Nick but closed her heavy eyes. When Nick came back down she was almost back to sleep. “Sleepy head get up, you’ll never go to bed tonight. Everyone’s getting ready to eat in the kitchen.”

“I’m not hungry,” she mumbled not opening her eyes.

“You’re always hungry come on. Did you eat already?”

“No, I’m sleepy.”

“When did you eat last today?” Nick asked and she shrugged her shoulders. “Anastasia, come sit up,” Nick pulled her shoulders so she was up right and leaning against the couch. “When did you eat last?”

“I had half a turkey sandwich at one,” she rubbed her eyes. “Nick, I think I’m going to go to bed up stairs.”

“Let’s get some food in you first okay? For me?” She nodded her head and Nick stood up, pulling her arms, bringing her up to him. She leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Come on love birds’ food is on the table,” Howie walked into the living room.

“Be right there,” Nick answered. “Babe you feel really warm,” his cheek was on her forehead. “You don’t feel well do you?”

“I think I just may be getting a cold,” she looked up into Nick’s eyes. She had dark circles under her own eyes and her face was peeked.

“Do you think you could try to eat? Maybe it’s your blood sugar down?”

“I’ll try.” Hand in hand they walked into the kitchen where everyone was sitting down at the large table.

“Thanks for making dinner Stace, it’s wonderful,” Brian smiled. There was a chorus of ‘yes’, ‘terrific’ and ‘thank you’s.’

“My pleasure,” she smiled brightly trying to cover the weak/sick feeling she had been feeling all day.

Nick served her a half a piece of chicken breast and a small piece of broccoli onto her plate. She was able to eat about half of each and tried to stay with it enough to reply back when someone spoke to her. About half way through dinner she had this over powering feeling of nausea and lightheadedness. She reached next to her and grabbed Nick’s thigh. Nick looked at her trying to read her eyes.

“Excuse me,” she smiled politely not looking up from the table and walked out of the kitchen and headed for the stairs. Reaching the first step she collapsed onto her knees in pain. “Ugh why now?” she asked in frustration holding her stomach.

“Stacie what’s wrong?” Leigh was by her side. She was shocked it wasn’t Nick’s but also relieved.

“I-uh-I tripped, I’m alright,” she grabbed the banister and tried to pull herself up but was unsuccessful.

“I’m getting Nick,” she turned away.

“Wait!” Stacie yelled.

“What? You need help Stace,” Leigh said in concern.

“Don’t let anyone else find out please.” Leigh nodded her head and left. Within seconds Nick was kneeling on his knees.

“Anastasia…” Nick’s voice whispered.

“Take me up stairs please?” her voice in that child’s tone and Nick only picked her up with ease and brought her up to their room. He put her on the bed and he lied on his side facing her.

“I need to take you to the hospital. I can’t sit back and watch you in pain.”

“Nick, no I think it’s just the flu and when I get sick it’s not your average lay on the couch and rest for a few days. That’s it. I’m sorry it happened now. I feel horrible.”

“You have to stop pushing me away and let me in if we’re going to make this work Babe it’s not your fault, we leave in two days. Have you been feeling like this all day though?”

“On and off, I just slept whenever I felt like this. Nick I don’t want others to really know and Leigh…”

“She whispered in my ear when she came in. She might tell Brian but that’s it and he already knows you’re not feeling the greatest. Let’s get you ready for bed and I’ll lay down with you.”