- Text Size +
“We need to take this to the Police Department,” Nick took the picture from her reading the words in black permanent marker. “Stacie are you alright?” he knelt down to her side.

“I don’t know who would’ve done this?”

“Babe you’re bleeding. Get up so we can go clean those cuts,” Nick put his arms under Stacie’s and pulled her up. He brought her into the kitchen and had her sit on a chair. “The cut doesn’t look that big, but you’re bleeding a lot. It may be deep?” Nick took a wet paper towel and cleaned her knees and left hand.

“I don’t get it Nick.”

“We’ll get it figured out, where are your band aids?”

“I mean I didn’t think I had any enemies, but someone was clearly looking for something in my office and the picture frame wasn’t just knocked over.”

“Band aids Stace,” Nick looked under the sink and in cupboards.

“On top of the fridge in the plastic bin,” she didn’t take her eyes off of the ground in front of her. Nick reached back on the fridge pulling a light blue bin out full of medical supplies. He took out some band-aids and Neosporin.

“Damn girl these are just bleeding, I’m going to put some pressure on them,” Nick took more paper towel from the counter and pressed on her knees. “You need to let the cops worry about this okay? If it’s anything, they will find out what it is.” Nick opened up two large bandages and covered both of Stacie’s knees and opened a medium one to put over her left palm.
“My house was broken into Nick, the way the picture was,” Stacie’s voice started to quiver and Nick put his index finger over her lips.

“I’m going to go pick up that glass out there, why don’t you go get some stuff for tonight you need. We’ll drop the picture off and go back to my place and I’ll hold you.” Stacie nodded and stood up. Nick pulled her in for a hug and kissed the top of her head and watched as she went around the corner and up the stairs.

Ten minutes later they drove to the Police Department and dropped off the picture. Stacie explained she had no idea who could’ve done it and they went back to Nick’s. She was quiet in the car and looked out the window. Nick took her hand and looked down at her.

“You’ve bled right through those bandages, oh damn girl, your blood condition, what should we do?” Stacie couldn’t help but giggle at Nick’s panicked voice.

“I’m fine, they’re not deep, I’m sure they’ve stopped.”

“Don’t make fun of me! What do you usually have to do if you get a cut or something?”

“Ice and elevation sometimes help. I’d tell you if I were worried, I don’t think I’m in need for a blood transfusion yet,” she winked at Nick.

“Not funny.”

“Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.” Nick pulled into his driveway and got out of the car. He walked over to Stacie’s side and opened her door; she continued to stare out the window.

“Want to go for a walk on the beach?”

“I do, it’s been forever it seems,” she took Nick’s hand and he led her out of the car. They took off their shoes and left them at the car and headed towards the beach.

“I know you’re thinking about your apartment but you have to trust me, things will work out.” Nick stopped the two of them at the water’s edge.

“I would’ve rather had something stolen or all of my stuff stolen than that picture broken and what the hell did those words mean? ‘It should’ve been me?’ No @#%$ it should’ve been me, I’ve thought so the moment it happened and now I can’t—”

“Shh, come here,” Nick pulled Stacie into his arms.

“Nick I’m sorry I know the last thing you want to hear about is Ryan.”

“Come on girl stop that. Let me just take care of you,” he pulled her away form him a little and looked into her eyes. “I mean Anastasia, I know you’ve been through a lot, I know you’re not over everything and I know that you never fully will. But you will learn that every day becomes a bit easier and the pain goes away a little more and you will fully take all of my heart one day.”


Stacie sighed and pulled away from Nick walking into the wet sand.
“What?” Nick asked.

“Why do you have to be so God Damn sweet?!”

“Oh, I’m not that sweet.”

“You’re being modest, you are.”

“Well, I don’t think you’ll think that thirty seconds from now.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because there’s something I have to tell you—” Nick went up to Stacie, taking her hand into his and then tackling her into ocean.

“You’re going to get it Carter,” she came up spitting water.

“Oh, I hope so,” Nick grinned and pushing her back under.

Ch. 21: I Need You Tonight

“I’m taking Nick surfing tomorrow morning before we go into the city, it should be interesting, you’re more than welcome to come,” Stacie told Peyton.

“I don’t know if I want to get up that early. So, Brian you said found this doctor for you?” Peyton asked taking a bite of her salad.

“Yeah, I guess he’s a blood specialist I guess you could say. I talked to him, Dr. Green over the phone a couple days ago. He plans on doing a bunch of blood tests and a blood procedure, which they’re going to do some kind of transfusion to see how my blood cells react.”

“Are you nervous?”

“You know I hate hospitals, I have panic attacks every time I go to them. But like I told you, I haven’t been feeling right lately and it’s getting worse.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to go with you? I mean I know you have Nick and Brian was going to go too but I can get out of the in-laws anniversary party if you want.”

“No, I’ll be fine. I mean it sounds like this doctor knows what he’s doing. I’d say what the worse that could happen is but I won’t.”

“This is your last meal until tomorrow?”

“Yeah, they don’t want to see my blood sugar to be affected.”

“I don’t know, maybe your previous doctors are just whacked that there really isn’t anything wrong with you. And you’ve been getting sick because your body doesn’t need all the medicines you have to take.”

“That would be great! Come let’s finish eating and do some shopping.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Nick’s door bell rang and he got up from the couch with his guitar in his hand and opened the door.

“Hey you! I thought you were going to come later tonight.” Nick pulled Stacie in for a kiss.

“It’s nine, I’m only an hour early and honestly I don’t think I would’ve been able to drive myself over any later.”

“What’s wrong?” Nick took her bag from her shoulder and put his arm around her. They walked into the living room.

“I’m just tired. I had my last meal at six with Peyton.”

“What did you eat?”

“Caesar salad and fruit salad.”

“You should’ve eaten more for your last meal.”

“He said to eat something light, and that was light. Are you working on a song?”

“Yeah, we’re meeting at the end of the week to record and I was just touching up some things.”

“Can I hear?”

“Sure,” Nick picked his guitar up and started strumming a few chords and singing a few lines. It was a soft melody and Stacie closed her eyes listening to the music. When Nick finished he looked over and saw her eyes still closed.
“You better not have fallen asleep on me!”

“No, it was just relaxing,” she sat up a little and then leaned against Nick’s shoulder. “Keep playing?”

“What do you want to hear?”

“You’ll probably kill me for asking this.”

“What song?” Nick had a tone in his voice that Stacie laughed at.

“I Need You Tonight?”

“I think I could do that,” Nick cleared his voice and started playing his guitar:

Open up your heart to me and say what’s on your mind.

I know that we have been through so much pain, but I still need you in my life, this time.

And I need you tonight, I need you right now. I know deep within my heart, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right; ‘cause I see heaven in your eyes.

I figured out what to say to you, sometimes the words come out so wrong.

And I know that time you will understand, that what we have is so right, this time.

And I need you tonight, I need you right now. I know deep within my heart, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right; all those endless times when we tried to make it last forever more…

And baby I know I need you, oh yeah. I know deep within my heart, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right, ‘cause I see heaven…

I need you tonight, I need you right now, I know deep within my heart it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right. ‘Cause I see heaven…in your eyes. Oooo.


“Thank you,” Stacie put her hand on the back of Nick’s head and pulled him towards her. She brushed her lips over his and they kissed.

“Mmm, I’ll just have to sing that song for you more often I think.”

“It is one of my favorites of yours.”
“Is that so?” Nick’s eyes grew wide as he smirked.

“Ugh, don’t flatter yourself to much Carter.”

“I’m just playing.”

“So, I’m getting the ‘I’m nervous about tomorrow’ feeling from you.”

“Not so much anymore, that song helped.”

“I’m going to be right there for you and Brian is coming too. Between the two of us, you’re completely safe.”

“Thank you,” she gave him another kiss and stood up. “Want to watch a movie in your room and go to bed? We’re going to be getting up at five to hit the waves and then we have to be out of here by eight tomorrow.”

“Yeah I told Brian to be here by quarter of.” Nick smiled, he was doing his best to be strong for his girlfriend but he couldn’t help shake off the uneasiness he felt about what tomorrow would bring.
~*~*~*~*~
“Wake up sunshine,” Nick kissed Stacie’s cheek.

“Hmm, five more minutes,” she pulled the blanket up to her chin.

“It’s five already. The sun is already coming out, the waves look great. Your board is waxed and ready to go.”

“Excited are we?” Stacie opened her eyes and sat up.

“We’ve only been once since we got home from the mountains. Okay, I’ve only been once, you’ve gone every day. But you’ve got me addicted.”

“Good. Alright, let me get my suit on, I’ll be out in a minute.”

“Hurry up!” Nick left the room and Stacie pulled the covers away from her. She rubbed her eyes and stood up. She felt a wave of dizzness to her and her first thought would have been to take her medication but she was told not to.

“It’s going to be a long morning,” she said to herself and went to her bag to pull out her white and pink bikini. She pulled a pair of her board shorts over and slipped on her sandals. Feeling weak she sat down on the edge of the bed and took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“Let’s go slow poke!” Nick poked his head in the door way.

“Just going to brush my teeth,” she smiled up and stood up. Nick watched as she struggled to stand and lose her balance. He stepped forward as she fell into his arms.

“Whoa, baby you alright?”

“Yeah, it will just take my body to get with it a little longer without my medication.” Nick looked at her with disbelief in her eyes. “I’m fine; I’m going to brush my teeth.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t surf, we can just sleep for a couple more hours?”

“Nonsense. After today who knows what’s going to happen,” her voice saddened as she pushed away from Nick and into the bathroom. A minute later she came out, towel in arm and went outside with Nick. “Stop looking at me as though I’m going to die right here. We only have like fifty minutes left of waves.” She took Nick’s hand as he took the board and they made their way down to shore.

“So I think later this week we should go buy me my own board so we can go out together.”

“I’ve only been saying that for a month now!”

“I like your girly board, what can I say?”

“It’s not girly! My wake board on the other hand is, but that was a present.”

“Okay you got me. We have to take that out too some day!”

“We will. Now you go get your butt out on some waves and then I’ll show you how it’s done.” She slapped Nick on his butt and he jogged into the water. Truth was, she wasn’t sure if she would be able to surf today. She sat down into the cool sand, feeling tired from the walk out to the beach from the house. Stacie smiled as Nick paddled out into the open water and sat on the board waiting for his perfect wave to come.

“HERE IT COMES!” she cupped her hand yelling out to Nick. Nick looked behind his shoulder and then began digging his hands into the water paddling as hard as he could. The wave came under him and he jumped to his feet, right foot in front. “Whoooo nice one baby!” she cheered for Nick. He stayed on for a good amount of time until he tried to cut the wave and his board went out from underneath him.

Nick popped up from the water and held his hand up showing a number one for one more ride. Stacie gave him the thumbs up and watched as he went back out to catch another wave. Nick had to wait a good five more minutes before his next big wave came and he caught it. Stacie stood up and walked into the water, taking in a sharp breath from the coldness.
“We have to teach you how to cut waves, you hold yourself up pretty well.” Nick pulled the board and ran his free hand through his hair.

“I’m getting there, slowly.”

“I’m very proud,” she smiled and gave Nick a kiss.

“You want to ride?”

“Um,” she put her hands on her waist and looked out into the waters. Usually it wasn’t a question and would have been out on the water already; if it weren’t for the dizzy spells and weakness.

“You don’t feel well do you?” Nick brushed his thumb over her pale cheek.

“I’ll do one,” she smiled brightly.

“Try it. If it feels good do it, if it doesn’t, well, you’re a smart girl,” Nick reasoned with her. Stacie was kind of surprised Nick didn’t try to talk her out of it and felt as he understood her more each day.

“Thanks,” she smiled warmly and took the board. She hooked the strap onto her right ankle and walked deeper into the waters. Where the sand bar dropped, she got on her stomach and paddled out to where the waters grew calm. She sat up on her board, straddling it; waiting for her wave.

There was one that came soon but she knew she had to give herself more time to be ready. She looked out to the beach and saw Nick standing, watching her with his arms crossed over his chest and towel over his shoulders. A few minutes later a wave came that felt right and she paddled hard. Stacie definitely felt weaker than normal and wasn’t sure if she would be able to even get up on the board. As she went to stand, her legs felt weak and she fell onto her knees. She sat on the board again getting ready for another wave. This time she knew she had to take it, if she were to keep on trying she would only wear herself out more. She stood up on the board and let the wave take her a little down the coast and into shore.

“That was way too hard today, it sucked.” Stacie dragged her board up to Nick breathing heavy.

“Aww I’m sorry babe, you looked good though.” Stacie sat down on her board in the sand putting her head in between her legs. “That just about took everything out of you didn’t it?” She nodded her head not looking up.

“So my medicine does do something to me, I don’t know which one is doing what though.”

“Come on lets go back and get ready, it’s already seven.” Nick pulled Stacie up taking the board and putting his arm around her; while she leaned into him as they walked back to the house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~ At the Hospital~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So the blood we just took will help hopefully eliminate any other possibilities that are out there,” Dr. Green scribbled some notes on his clip board.

“You said there is a possibility of it being leukemia?” Stacie swallowed the lump in her throat, squeezing Nick’s hand.

“With your symptoms, it’s a possibility but we won’t know until the tests come back tomorrow. You have just have a rare blood form where you need to do these kinds of transfusions from time to time. I do know however, that you do not need to be on all three of those medicines and they could be a possibility for how sick you’ve been feeling.”

“I can go home after this blood transfusion?”

“As long as you’re doing okay. And we will call you tomorrow morning with the results and go from there. There could be a very good chance I just need to call in a prescription for you and you’ll be all set and no need to come back.”

“Thank you Doctor,” Stacie held her hand out from the chair she was lying in to get the blood work done. He shook and then shook Nick’s.

“My pleasure. I’ll have a nurse come in and bring you something to eat and drink, I know you must be hungry.” He left the room and Nick moved closer to Stacie and faced her.

“So that’s good news huh?” He rubbed her hand with his thumb.

“Nick I may have cancer.”

“He said small possibility. Come on you’re my Miss Optimistic.” Stacie laid her head back and closed her eyes.

“This is making me feel really sick.”

“He said it would. We’ll get some food in your system.”

“Where’s Brian?”

“He went outside to call Leigh; you can’t use cell phones in here.”

“You should go find him. This is going to be another hour.”

“We’ll be back soon.” Nick kissed her cheek. “And Stace?”

“Hmm?”

“I love you.”