- Text Size +

The figure moved further into the room and a gasp fell from Nick's lips. The figure was Brian, but he had an aura of light round him that was almost blinding. Nick stood and walked the space between them in two quick steps, "Brian!"

 

Brian had his gaze fixed on the still figure on the bed, almost not believing it was his best friend. Nick was never this still, even in sleep he was kicking around or softly talking, even sometimes singing, much to his amusement when the two of them shared a room.

 

Nick was still standing in front of Brian, looking in his eyes, "Brian? Brian, please answer me!" Nothing. Just the same lost look in his friend's eyes as Brian looked at the shell of a person laying on the bed.

 

Brian moved forward, needing to be closer to his friend, to let him know that he was there. His first step forward was hesitant. He almost felt a resistance holding him back. He shook it off and continued to the bed.

 

Nick saw Brian start to move and as he stepped forward Nick thought that Brian had seen him. He realized that this wasn't true as Brian kept moving forward. Nick cried out in shock and horror as Brian's body came closer and closer to him, suddenly he felt a surge through his legs. He looked down and saw Brian's leg walking through the middle of his shin. It felt as if the cells in his leg were warping and moving to let his friend pass through him. Brian's foot fell to the floor and he leaned forward, his body unconsciously moving forward as his knee locked as it hit the ground, sending his torso right through Nick's.

 

Nick could only whimper as every part of his body felt like it was shifting, moving to let Brian's solid human flesh move through it. He watched in paralyzing fear as Brian's face moved closer and closer to his, until they collided. Nick tried to close his eyes, but it was impossible. He watched his vision become warped and sounds fill his ears, the steady beating of a heart, the hiss of air being drawn into his lungs and the sound of blood surging through veins all sang a newly discovered symphony in Nick's ears. As each part passed through him, the song changed, keeping time with the shifting and movement of his form around Brian's body.

 

As the last part of Brian passed through Nick, the aura of light that surrounded Brian passed through Nick. This time a different sound met his ears. It was the sound of millions upon millions of voices singing. Holding one note, signing in perfect and excruciatingly beautiful harmony. As soon as the sound flooded his ears, it was gone as Brian's figure moved away to the hospital bed.

 

Nick stood there, shaking and reeling. Nothing could have prepared him for what had just happened. Nothing. It was all too much. With a cry of equal parts horror and wonder, Nick fell to the floor.