- Text Size +


When he woke up, he was still on the floor, but his head was resting on something. He opened his eyes to see blurred legs under him. He shook his head and rose, "Katya?"

 

When she saw he was up, she stood up herself. Nick looked around and realized that they were in a different room now, not the ER. Brian was still sitting beside the bed, the glow around him, but now Kevin, Howie and AJ were in the room, the same glows around them, but not as intense as Brian's.

 

Nick looked at Katya, "Why does everyone have that glow around them?"

 

Katya looked at them, "It's their spirit."

 

Nick kept quiet, hoping for more of an explanation.

 

She went over to Brian and looked at him, "It's what makes you what you are. Your feelings, your emotions, your characteristics like kindness and generosity, the love you give and the love you receive, it's all there."

 

Nick nodded, "Everyone has one?"

 

Katya nodded, "From what I've noticed, yes." She took his hand and led him into the hallway. They both stood there and watched the busy hallway. Around most of the people were lights shining from within them. Some were brighter than others, but almost everyone had one.

 

Nick saw several people without any light around them. "Why don't they have any?"

Katya looked at them and moved her hand in a wave, they waved back. "They are like we are. They are spirits without a home. They are waiting."

 

Nick looked at them and noticed they were looking right back, they truly could see him. "Waiting for what?"

 

"To go back or move on." She looked him straight in the eyes, "Not everyone gets a choice, Nick."

 

Without another word, she turned back into the room. He looked after her for a moment and then followed her back in. He wanted to understand as much about this as possible, it was as if a whole new world had opened up to him and he wanted to know everything about it. "No one can see the lights when they are....?"

 

She smiled a little, "Most people won't."

 

He raised an eyebrow, "Can't or won't?"

 

"Won't."

 

She turned to look at Brian. "There are those that can see us. Who can see the lights. But they are rare. Most that can see, don't realize that they can. It's just flashes of light that fade before they can understand what they see."

 

Nick gasped, it was like she was looking through his eyes. Seeing what he had been seeing as far back as he can remember. "But...."

 

She nodded, "You are one of them Nick, you just didn't know." She turned to Brian, watching as he bowed his head, closing his eyes. "So is Brian. Why do you think you two understand each other so well?"

 

Nick was floored. If she had said that he had a lizard named Maurice that was actually his twin brother, he didn't think it would cause him to blink an eye at this point. It was a lot to take in all at once and it left him reeling.

 

Nick was so lost in thought that he didn't notice what was going on around him. Kevin, AJ, Howie and Brian were standing around the hospital bed, hands linked together, Kevin and Brian's free hands resting lightly on top of his body's still ones, heads bowed.

 

Katya sat on a chest of drawers in one corner of the room, watching.

 

Nick came out of his reverie when he felt an odd sensation washing over him. He heard a sound...it was faint, but getting louder. He looked down at himself and saw a silver glow emanating from him, getting brighter as he watched. As the glow increased, the sound got louder until every sense was awash in it. It was the same sound he had heard when Brian's light had passed through him. The heartbreakingly beautiful sound of all those voices harmonizing in one single everlasting note.

 

A startled gasp left his lips as he felt the light start to radiate into him, filling every part of him with a feeling of peace and so much love he thought his heart would burst. He looked over to where his body lay and saw the backs of his friends gathered around the bed. The light coming off of them was almost blinding, yet he found he couldn't look away. Their individual lights had seemed to join into one halo of light that filled the room with it's brightness. The brighter their light got, the brighter his seemed to glow and the more intense the sensations were that spread throughout him. Nick looked up at Katya, "What's happening? Why does it feel so good?" He sounded almost scared, but at the same time lost in an ecstasy that he couldn't even comprehend.

 

Katya's eyes seemed to be even more filled with sadness, she looked at Nick's friends and then back at him, "They are praying for you."