- Text Size +
The New Year had come and gone and the holidays were over. Ashley and Denise were returning back to Florida in 2 days and she had done everything she possibly could to avoid AJ since Christmas. It was easier then she thought it would be. He was never really home anyway. He was rehearsing and recording during the day and going out at night. He said he wanted to take in all that L.A. had to offer before he got back into the studio everyday. Anytime he was at home Ashley made sure to avoid him. She was so angry with him for not talking to her before he decided to move and leave her behind.

Ashley’s phone rang as she touched up her hair and glanced in the mirror one last time. She didn’t bother looking at the caller ID before picking it up.

“I’ll be right out.” She said then threw her phone in her bag before running downstairs.

“BJ and Angel are here. I’ll see you later.” She said heading towards the door.

“Call me after the movie and let me know when you’ll be home.” Denise said.

“Okay. I will.” She said.

“Where are you going?” AJ said poking his head out of the kitchen as she walked by.

“Out.” She stated simply hoping it would end the conversation.

“I’ve barely seen you since you’ve been out here and you’re leaving in two days.” He frowned.

“Whose fault is that?” she mumbled under her breath.”

“Why don’t you stay home and hang with me tonight?” he smiled hoping to change her mind.

“BJ drove out here from L.A. to pick me up. I can’t just bail on them now.” She replied.

“Well then maybe tomorrow before you guys leave.”

“Yea maybe.” She gave him a half smile as she heard the horn honking. “Gotta go.” She turned away and headed to the car before he could say anything else.



The next day Ashley woke up early. It was her last day in California and she knew AJ would give her no choice but to spend it with him. Even though she did want to spend time with him she wasn’t sure if she would be able to hide her emotions from him. She knew him moving to California was better for him but she hated the fact that things were changing so fast.

She walked downstairs and was surprised to see AJ awake already.

“Hey kiddo.” He smiled up at her from the couch. “Are you finally gonna spend some time with me today?” he grinned at her.

“I guess.” She plopped herself down on the opposite side of the couch.

“What’s been up with you lately?” he nudged her playfully. “I feel like you’ve been avoiding me the past few weeks.”

“Way to go Sherlock.” She mumbled and turned the TV up.

“When did you get so sarcastic?” he raised an eyebrow at her.

“Are we gonna hang out or not?” she changed the subject.

“What’s with you? Seriously. Why are you avoiding me like the plague?” he shut the TV off trying to get her to focus.

“I’m not avoiding you.” She lied. “You’re just not around when I am.

“That’s crap and you know it.” He looked at her seriously. “Now what’s wrong?”

“Alex I shouldn’t have to tell you.” She sighed turning away from him to wipe her eyes that were beginning to form tears. This was the very thing she had been trying to avoid for 2 weeks.

“You’re mad at me for moving to California aren’t you?”

“Wow. Someone’s on a roll today.” She commented sarcastically.

“If you were mad a me why didn’t you say something?” he ignored her sarcasm.

“Honestly, I didn’t think you would care.” She stared at him dead on.

“Why would you think that? You know I care about how you feel.”

“You didn’t care how I felt when you decided to move here in the first place. You didn’t even ask me how I would feel.”

“I didn’t think it was such a big deal.” He said honestly. “I thought you’d be excited.”

“Excited about what Alex?” she wiped the tears that were streaming from her eyes. “The fact that you’d be a million miles away on the complete other side of the country? Or the fact that now I’ll never see you.”

“I’m sorry.” He said as he pulled her into a hug. “I didn’t think that it would upset you this much. But you know that I have to do this. It’s what’s best for me right now.”

“I know that you have to. I just wish you wouldn’t have surprised me with it out of nowhere.”

“I’m really sorry Ash, but I promise you things won’t change. I’ll come see you as much as I can and you can always come stay with me out here whenever you want. You’ll see it won’t be any different.” He reassured her.


Ashley sighed and smiled at him. As much as she wanted to believe him she knew that things couldn’t possibly stay the same.

Things were changing and as much as she hated it she knew she couldn’t stop it. She would just have to learn to live with things the way they were.