- Text Size +
“Good morning.” Mayor Glenda Evans Hood addressed the crowd gathered at Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando. “We are here today to celebrate the wonderful memories and lives of those lost on this tragic day one year ago…”

Ashley tried to listen as she sat behind the stage waiting to hear her cue. Her hands were sweaty and the butterflies in her stomach felt like they were ready to fly out. She knew her song was ready but she was afraid of what everyone would think about it, but she knew it was something she had to do.

‘I can do this. Mom would be proud of me for getting out there.’ She said to herself as she took a deep breath and took a swig from her water bottle. She wished that AJ had been there. He always knew how to make her feel better. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed his number hoping he would answer and give her the boost of confidence she needed.

“You know who it is and you know what to do….Beep.” she heard the ever familiar voicemail. By now she had spoken to his voice mail more then him. She hung up not bothering to leave a message knowing he wouldn’t listen to it anyway. She sighed and listened back into Mayors opening speech.

“Many lives were lost that day, but one story in particular stood out to me. I met a young girl a few months ago that lost her mother in the plane crash. Her strength and determination to get past this was so endearing to me. When I asked her here to speak to you all about her mother she was hesitant at first but then asked if she could sing a song instead. She said she always had the dream of being a singer and this would mean a lot to her mom. You could imagine I couldn’t say no to that request. So at that I would like to welcome Ashley McLean to the stage to sing an original song dedicated to her mother and all those who lost someone in the crash of Flight 311. “

That was her cue. Ashley swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat as she grabbed her guitar and headed out to the stage. The crowd welcomed her with applause as she smiled shyly. She looked out to the front row where Denise, Tony and Angel were proudly smiling up at her. Angel gave her the thumbs up as she took a seat on the stool set up in front of the microphone.

“Hi everyone. I just wanted to say thanks for letting me come out here and sing today. It means a lot to me and my family and I know it will mean a lot to my mom. This is a song that I wrote called ‘I Miss You’ and I really hope you like it.” She took one last deep breath as she started strumming the melody.

“You used to call me your angel. Said I was sent straight down from heaven. You’d hold me close in your arms. I loved the way you felt so strong. I never wanted you to leave; I wanted you to stay here holding me.

I miss you. I miss your smile, and I still shed a tear every once in a while. And even though it’s different now you’re still here some how. My heart won’t let you go, and I need you to know I miss you. Sha la la la la I miss you.

You used to call me your dreamer, and now I’m living out my dreams. Oh how I wish you could see everything that’s happening for me. I’m thinking back on the past. It’s true that time is flying by too fast.

I miss you. I miss your smile, and I still shed a tear every once in a while. And even though it’s different now you’re still here some how. My heart won’t let you go, and I need you to know I miss you. Sha la la la la I miss you.

I know you’re in a better place, yea. Still I wish that I could see your face, oh. I know you’re where you need to be, even though it’s not here with me.

I miss you. I miss your smile, and I still shed a tear every once in a while. And even though it’s different now you’re still here some how. My heart won’t let you go, and I need you to know I miss you. Sha la la la la I miss you. I miss your smile, and I still shed a tear every once in a while. And even though it’s different now you’re still here some how. My heart won’t let you go, and I need you to know I miss you. Sha la la la la I miss you… I miss you, ohh.”

Ashley took a deep breath as she finished her song. She looked out into the crowd and saw the tears in every ones eyes. Denise smiled up at her and blew her a kiss. Ashley smiled back at her. The crowd erupted into applause and she couldn’t hold her tears back any longer. She wiped her eyes and Glenda re-approached the stand.

“Ashley that was beautiful, I’m sure you’re mother is smiling down on you and is proud of your accomplishments. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful talent with us.” She hugged Ashley as she made her way off the stage. Ashley joined Denise in the audience and embraced her as she cried.

“Ashley that was amazing. I’m so proud of you.” Denise kissed her head as they took their seats once more.
“Thanks.” Ashley smiled a bit.
“That was awesome.” Angel leaned over and whispered to her. “I told you you’d be great.”

Once the memorial was over and everyone congratulated Ashley on a job well done they made their way back home.

“Ashley I know you’ve heard it a million times today but that was truly an amazing song.” Tony said as they entered the house.

“Thanks. I’m just glad everyone liked it. I was nervous that no one would.” She sat down on the couch in the living room.

“I didn’t know that you sang that well. I mean you always talk about singing but I’ve never heard you. You have a great talent.” Denise sat next to her. “You should think about joining the chorus at school this year. It would be a great way to meet friends.”

“Yea, that would be fun.” She smiled.

“How’s about I treat you all to dinner. You’re choice.” Tony smiled at them.

“Romanelli’s!” Ashley smiled.

“How did I know.” Denise laughed and grabbed her purse from the counter.

“Romanelli’s it is.” Tony smiled as they all headed back out.
Chapter End Notes:
*Song: I Miss You by Miley Cyrus

Just a little info:
...I wish I was good at writing songs but I'm not lol but I feel that this song fit perfectly with the event. There are about 5 songs used in this story and if I had to write them all they would be bad so although in the story they are being used as "songs she wrote" they are real songs and I will state the name and artist at the end of the chapter