- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just proof reading a few more chapters now and will have more up soon.
The news pierced threw the emergency room of Florida General Hospital like a knife.

“Reports on last night’s crash of flight 311 from California to Orlando keep coming in.” The reporter stated.
“It is now said that there were only 10 survivors 6 of whom are in critical condition tonight. The pilot attempted to make an emergency landing at Orlando International Airport after loosing control of its right engine. Tower controllers say that there was no hope for a controlled landing and the pilot did everything he could to try and prevent such a fatality. There is still no information on how the engine died out but investigators are still clearing the scene and looking into the issue.”

Ashley stared at the TV in the waiting room. Although she wasn’t alone, she felt like she was in her own world…a world of pain, anger, sorrow and hatred for herself that is. She hoped someone would come give her news on her mother’s condition soon.

AJ looked over at her. He wanted so much to comfort her but he couldn’t…she wouldn’t let him.

“Look…” he finally spoke snapping her out of her trance. “I know what you’re going through is tough, but you know that I’m here to help you.” He smiled at her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t even try and pull that with me cause it won’t work! You don’t know what its like! Your mom isn’t in there dying rite now ok?”

“Hey you’re not the only one who has lost someone.” AJ retorted. “I lost my grandma”

The idea of death just made her cry more.

“I’ve lost so much more than you ever will Alex.” As she looked over at him he couldn’t even bear to look at her because he knew she was right.

“Incase you haven’t realized I lost my dad…and you can say in a way that you lost yours too…but its not the same cause he’s gone forever and I never even got to say one word to him…and now I’m on the verge of loosing my mom too…I have no one anymore.” Ashley wiped her eyes and looked back over at him “So don’t even try to tell me you’ve lost just as much as me because you know it’s not true.”

AJ looked up to find her staring at him with a tear-streaked face. “I’m so sorry” he said as he remembered the tragic night Ashley was born.

Her father was rushing to the hospital and was drunk yet again. It was raining and he skidded straight into the highway divider and was killed instantly. They were never able to see each other.

Feeling sorry he embraced her in a tight but loving hug. “Everything will be ok…”he coaxed her as she cried silently praying he was right but knowing deep down inside that he wasn’t.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An hour later Ashley sat still and silent in the waiting room with AJ. She had finally stopped crying when she looked up to see a doctor walking towards them.

“Hello. I am Doctor Fredrickson.” He smiled at the both of them and shook their hands taking a seat in front of them Ashley knew this wasn’t a good sign…long conversations always have bad endings.

“You must be Ashley.” He said to her as if she were three. Ashley looked up at him with pleading eyes begging him to tell her that her mom would be okay. The doctor’s smile quickly vanished.
“I’m sorry. You’re mother just passed. Her vitals just couldn’t be stabilized…we did everything that we could…” the doctor trailed off and before he could continue Ashley cut him off.
“No you didn’t because if you did my mom would still be alive so don’t give me that crap!” Ashley yelled now standing up. AJ placed a hand on her shoulder trying to calm her down.
“Get the fuck off of me!” she yelled now turning her attention to AJ. He was bewildered; she had never spoken like that before. Ashley dropped down to the floor and put her head to her knees crying as AJ tried to calm her down.

“Everything will be alright Ash…” He tried to coax her. Only this time they both knew it wouldn’t…her life had changed forever.

“Come on. Let’s get you home.” AJ told her when she finally began to calm down.
“What home?” she mumbled and leaned back on the chair closing her eyes.
“You can’t just stay here all night.” He said hoping to change her mind. She didn’t budge. She just stared at the wall tears still running down her face. She was afraid to leave. In her mind she had nothing anymore.


-Later On-

AJ looked at his watch and yawned. It was now three o’clock in the morning and he was beat. Ashley was still sitting on the floor leaning on his leg slightly for support. Seeing she was now asleep, and not wanting to wake her, he carefully stood up and carried her to his truck.

When they arrived home, a short time later, he carried her into her bedroom trying hard not to wake her. Kissing her on the forehead he retreated to his room where he quickly changed and feel rite asleep.