- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who keeps reviewing, I appreciate it. I'm hoping to get a bunch of writing done this weekend, I know I've been slacking, but I'm trying to update more quickly from now on. Enjoy!
Since that morning, after AJ had walked out on her, things hadn’t been the same. The few days they had left before Denise returned were filled with nothing but tension and silence. Ashley had tried to apologize to AJ, but he wouldn’t speak to her. She felt shut out and closed off and she didn’t like it. She really hadn’t meant what she said about him that morning, and she regretted it the second it slipped from her mouth, but in the long run she knew there was nothing she could do to salvage their relationship at this point.

Since Denise had returned from her trip to New York Ashley had been under close watch. She wasn’t allowed to do anything aside from attending her practices. She was missing her friends terribly and needed them more then ever.

Ashley sighed as she turned over in bed staring at the picture on her nightstand. It was of her and her mother on her 12th birthday, just a few months before she passed. Ashley couldn’t believe how quickly time had gone by. Today was exactly three years since the plane crash. She had been strong over the past three years, but most of it was a facade. All of this excess stress and drama was beginning to take a toll on her emotionally and she really didn’t know how to handle it well.

Her punishment had finally ended and though they were opposed to it at first, Denise had convinced the play directors to give her the weekend off. Denise had wanted her to spend her weekend off at home with her and AJ, but Ashley had plans of her own. She was spending the weekend at Angel’s to try and get away from anything that would make her sad or angry. Although she was sorry for what she had said to AJ, in a way she was still mad at him for what he had done. He had ruined the end of her summer, in her mind, and also took away the little trust that Denise had in her.

Glancing at the clock she realized she would have to start getting ready soon. She sat up in bed stretching as she yawned. She got up and made her way to the bathroom taking a quick shower before packing some essentials and heading out to the living room. Denise was sitting there watching TV when she walked in.

“I’m just going to eat something and then I’m ready to go.” She said.

“Are you sure there’s nothing I can do to persuade you to stay home this weekend.” Denise asked hopefully.

“Mom, it’s not that I don’t want to spend time with you it’s just I miss Angel and I just need some girl time to relax. School starts up again soon and I won’t be seeing her that much.” Ashley said hoping she would understand.

“Just please don’t do anything stupid again. You know I hate grounding you.” Denise looked at her sincerely.

“Were going shopping for a little today and then were staying in the house all weekend watching movies and stuff, honest.” Ashley smiled telling the truth, she was in no way in the mood to party. “Believe me after being grounded half the summer I’m really not trying to do anything stupid to get back in that position.”

“I’m glad you learned your lesson, now go finish getting ready.” Denise smiled at her.

Shortly after they were on their way. Ashley stared out the window as they traveled down the freeway, lost in her own world.

“You know, despite all that’s happened this summer I’m still proud of you, I want you to know that.” Denise said breaking the silence.

“Thanks.” Ashley smiled a little. “I was thinking, maybe Sunday I could come home earlier and we could go out to dinner. We haven’t done that in a while.”

“I would like that.” Denise smiled at her as she pulled up to the Carter house. “Have a fun time, and call me if you need anything. Please be safe.”

“I will mom, see you Sunday.” She smiled and made her way inside.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So he just hasn’t talked to you at all?” Angel said as she and Ashley walked into a store later on that day.

“Nope. Those last few days he only talked if it was necessary, and even then it was just like one or two words. I tried calling him a few times and he just ignores it. I feel bad but I didn’t mean what I said, he should know that.” Ashley sighed.

“That sucks. I’m sure he’s just upset, he’ll come around eventually.”

“Angel, it’s been like six weeks and he hasn’t gotten over it. I forgave him for all the mean things he said to me I don’t see why he’s being so stubborn about it.” She shook her head. “This isn’t what I want to be thinking about today, I need to keep thinking happy thoughts.”

“Ok, happy thoughts. Here’s one…what are we going to do tonight since you’ve been in prison the past month and a half?” Angel grinned as she sorted through the clothing racks.

“I kind of just wanted to chill out and watch movies or something, I’m not in a very social mood.”

“That’s it? I had like a billion cute guys lined up for you to choose from, I thought we could double. There’s this one guy Jake that’s been dying to meet you.” Angel grinned at her. “We haven’t gone out together in a long time, it would be so much fun.”

“I’m kind of over the whole dating thing right now. After everything with Steven I just need a break from guys. I’m just really not up to the whole faking a smile thing right now. Maybe next weekend or something, just not tonight.”

“Aww boo. You’re boring, but I understand. We can just stay in if that’s what you want.” She said as they made their way up to the register to pay.

Ashley placed the few things she had picked out down on the counter as the cashier smiled at her and started to ring up her purchases.

“That will be $307.69,” she said as she placed the last shirt in the bag. “Will that be cash or credit?”

“Credit.” Ashley said as she handed her the card.

“I’m sorry mam, your card has been declined.” The saleswoman said looking up at her.

“That can’t be right.” Ashley furrowed her brow in confusion. “There’s like no limit on that thing.”

The woman swiped her card once more and again handed it back to her.

“I’m sorry, it’s not working.”

“Do you want me to get it for you until you figure out what’s wrong?” Angel asked.

“No don’t worry, I have it.” Ashley sighed in frustration as she pulled another card out of her wallet. “I have my debit card.”

“When did you get that?” Angel raised an eyebrow in question.

“When I realized saving my allowance under my bed wasn’t the safest thing. So I put it in the bank, I’ve managed to save up a decent amount.”

“Here you go hun, sorry for the problems.” The woman said handing her the shopping bag and receipt. Have a wonderful day.”

“Oh yea, so wonderful. Let’s go get some lunch” She rolled her eyes as they exited the store.

They walked a few blocks to a small café. Once they were seated and had ordered she pulled her cell phone from her pocket and dialed the number on the back of her credit card. “I need to see what’s wrong with this thing.”

Angel watched Ashley’s expression as she listened to the operator on the phone. Ashley pursed her lips, visibly angered as she hung up the phone and tossed it back into her purse.

“That stupid jerk!” Ashley scowled crossing her arms as she tapped her foot angrily. She took a deep breath letting it out slowly, trying to maintain her cool.

“What?”

“He canceled my fricken credit card.” She leaned forward on the table resting her head in her hand as she rubbed her temples."This day is getting worse by the second."

“Are you serious?” Angel’s eyes grew wide. “What are you going to do?”

“What can I do Angel? He won’t talk to me. He obviously doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. There’s not much I can do.”

“He must really be mad to do something that drastic.”

“Whatever, I’m so done with him. He probably thinks he’s teaching me some stupid lesson. Like it’s gonna make a difference?” she sighed as she took a sip of her drink. “You know what this is a good thing.”

“It is?” Angel looked at her as if she had gone crazy.

“Yes. All the other times in the past when I didn’t want to talk to him anymore he could hold that against me.” She began to explain. “Now that we have no ties to each other it’s done and over with. I have no need for him and he has nothing on me.”

“Ash, he’s your brother. You guys fight all the time, you’ll work it out.” Angel reasoned with her.

“That’s exactly my point, I’m tired of fighting with him. Maybe it’s just better this way.” Ashley sighed. “For the both of us.”