- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
**Sorry if you guys read this right after I posted I was in a rush and forgot to take out my notes haha thanks for telling me Lenni!its all fixed now :)

hope you enjoy and let me know what you think
“Are you positive this is what you want to do?” Denise asked as she looked across the table at Ashley.

“It can’t hurt to at least try right?” she answered hopefully.

“Maybe that’s the best thing we can do…” Denise thought for a moment. “Why don’t we have a little trial period and see how that goes. We can make a definite decision from there.”

“Sounds fair enough.” AJ said.

“How would that work?” Ashley chimed in.

“My publishing company has been working me to do a small book tour for the past few months. I would have to go on the road for two or three weeks. Alex can stay here with you while I work on that. If that’s alright with you.” Denise looked over at him.

“That sounds perfect, when would you leave?”

“Well I still need to talk with my publishers, I’m sure it will take them a week or two to get everything in order. I want to get everything settled at Ashley’s school first anyway.”

“Mom it’s really not necessary.” Ashley sighed just wanting all of the drama to end.

“Yes it is. These girls can’t get away with this. First thing tomorrow morning we’re going in to talk to the dean. This trouble needs to be put to rest before they take it any further.” She said sternly. “If this whole plan of you living with Alex is going to work out I need to feel safe knowing that you’ll be ok at school when I’m on the other side of the country.”

“Fine.” She sighed in defeat not wanting to push her luck.

“And just one more thing.” Denise looked at her as she got up from the table. Ashley looked at her questionably waiting for her to continue. “I think you owe Tony an apology for how you spoke to him before, he was only trying to help.”

Ashley sighed, knowing she was right. She walked out onto the small back patio where Tony was just finishing up a conversation.

“Hi.” Ashley said timidly as he looked up at her.

“All done talking with your mom?” he asked.

“Yup.” She smiled a little.

“So what’s the verdict?”

“Mom is going to take a short book tour and let me and Alex test it out for a while to see if we can get along without killing each other.”

“Sounds fair enough.” Tony smiled slightly. “I’m sure you both will find a way to make it work. I think it will be tough but it’s a good step for the both of you.”

“Yeah.” Ashley took a deep breath letting it out slowly before continuing. “I really wanted to say sorry to you for before when I yelled at you. I didn’t mean what I said, I don’t hate you, not at all I was just angry I guess.”

“I understand, and I accept your apology. I don’t want to be the bad guy here, and I don’t want you to feel as if I’m trying to ruin your life or control how you mother chooses to raise you.” He began. “I just worry about you as much as she does. I know how smart and talented you are and I just don’t want you to throw away the good opportunities you have by making poor choices. Your mom is only trying to help you, and we both just want what’s best for you. We wouldn’t do anything that we feel would hurt you in the long run. Any decision she makes or that we make together we always have your best interest in mind, even if it’s hard to see it that way.”

“I know, and I know I’ve messed up a lot, but I’m trying to do better.”

“I know sweetheart. Just keep it up, and don’t feel like you can’t talk to your mother about what’s going on in your life. She’s a lot more insightful and understanding then you give her credit for.” He reminded her.

“I know. I’ll try.” She smiled.

“That’s all we’re asking for.”

Ashley got up from the chair she was sitting in and headed back inside. Before she closed the door she turned back to him.

“By the way, congratulations. I know I kind of freaked out before but I really am excited for the two of you. You make my mom really happy and I’m glad that you two are together.”

“Thank you, that means a lot.” He smiled at her before she disappeared back inside the house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley groaned as Denise shook her awake the next morning. She pulled the covers up over her head trying to block out the light coming through her window.

“Come on sweetheart, it’s already 10:30. I called your school and we have a meeting with the dean in an hour. You need to get up and get ready.” Denise shook her some more trying to get her motivated. She was never a morning person.

“I don’t wanna go.” Ashley whined from under the covers.

“You have to. Come on, you promised me yesterday and I already set up the appointment. We have to be on time.”

“Fine.” Ashley groaned and sat up in bed stretching and wiping the sleep from her eyes. “But I don’t know what good it will do.”

“The dean needs to be aware of what has been going on, or this situation will never end. It won’t be that bad, I just want him to hear your side of the story and hopefully set the record straight. We don’t want this suspension interfering with your after school activities or the academy.”

“I know I still don’t have to be excited about it though.” She sighed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later Ashley was back in the same seat outside of the dean’s office she had occupied two days earlier, with Denise next to her, awaiting their meeting. Unbeknownst to Ashley the dean had already begun speaking to students rumored to be involved with the incident trying to get to the bottom of it. Ashley bit her lip nervously as she heard the office door opening. She looked up to see Meghan, Elaine and Stephanie walking out of the office with their parents behind them.

“I’m sorry we had to call you all away from work, but this matter needed to be handled.” The dean said as he escorted them towards the main office door acknowledging Denise as he passed them.

Ashley smiled inwardly hoping that the girls were getting what they deserved. She knew it was wrong to feel good about it, but she couldn’t help but snicker quietly as she looked at Meghan, the bruise on her nose still apparent through her caked on makeup.

“Well I can assure you that they will all be getting a very strong talking to and this will never happen again.” The last parent said as they exited the main office.

The dean turned back around once they were gone and smiled as he walked back over to greet them.

“Ms. McLean, Ashley thank you for coming in to see me. Let’s step into my office.”

Denise and Ashley followed him inside and he shut the door behind them taking a seat behind his desk.

“I am very glad that you called me today after some careful questioning and interrogation we were able to find the girls responsible for creating the flyers that were passed around the other day. They have been suspended for three days and are being placed on probation. We have a zero tolerance for these kinds of things, and they will be watched closely from now on.” He reassured them.

“Thank you very much for settling it so quickly.”

“It was much easier then expected, the girls haven’t been furtive about it. Had they not bragged so much they might have gotten away with it, but once I threatened expulsion if we found proof on our own they gave themselves up and apologized. I’m very sorry that you had to go through something like this.” He now turned his attention to Ashley. “If there is any more trouble I need you to come to me right away and not let it escalate. I’m here to help in situations like these.”

“Ok, I will.” Ashley said timidly.

“Now as for the suspension, will that be lifted?” Denise asked.

“Unfortunately, no. I know she was coursed, but Ashley was still fighting on school grounds and we have to follow the rulebook when it comes to fighting. She will be let back into school on Monday and everything will be over and done with. Due to the situation we won’t be marking on her records and therefore she will no be on probation. She may continue all her regular school activities as well.” He informed them.

“Thank you so much for being so understanding.” Denise replied.

“Well Ashley is a great kid. She’s an excellent student and a great asset to the performing arts department and she’s never been in trouble before so as long as she keeps that up she will do just fine here.”

“Again, thank you so much for everything you have done for this situation. It puts me more at ease knowing the matter has been settled.”

“That’s what I’m here for.” He said. “And remember if you have any more problems come to me first.”

“Thanks, I will.” Ashley smiled timidly as they stood up to exit the office. She was relieved that things had gone so smoothly.

They said their farewells and headed out of the office and towards the main entrance of the school.

“See that wasn’t so bad, aren’t you glad we have this all settled?” Denise said placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah.” She smiled a little.

“Ashley.” Someone called out to her before they walked out the front door. She turned around to see her musical director, Deanna, jogged up behind them. “I’m glad I caught you before you left. Do you mind if I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure.” She said nervously, hoping she wasn’t going to loose her part in the upcoming play. “I’ll meet you in the car mom.”

Denise nodded and the two stepped just outside to talk, because of her suspension Ashley wasn’t allowed on school grounds without an adult and she didn’t want to risk getting in trouble.

“I heard about what happened the other day and I just wanted to let you know that I’m sorry I never stopped any of the bullying before it got this far.”

“It’s not your fault, you can’t control what they do.” Ashley shrugged.

“I saw how they were isolating you over the summer and I should have put a stop to it then. I just want to let you know that as long as your up for it the part is still yours. I won’t be pulling anyone from the show because I think you all mesh wonderfully as a cast, but I understand if you have a hard time working with them.”

“I would never. It would only let them think they won. I know how to work professionally and I won’t let any of this get in the way of the play.” She reassured her.
“Great, that’s what I was hoping to hear.” Deanna smiled. “You deserve this part and I want you to show them what your made of. Don’t let them intimidate you, I will be keeping a close eye on everyone and if there’re any problems I will put an end to them right away. We are all a team and we need to act like one.”

“Thanks, that means a lot.” She smiled back.

“I won’t keep you any longer, get to memorizing those lines and I will see you after school on Monday.”

“Thanks.”

“One more thing.” She said before she walked away. “My door is always open to all of my students, if you ever need anything or are having problems don’t hesitate to come talk to me.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.” Ashley smiled as they parted ways. As bad as everything had been the past few days she was beginning to see the silver lining at the end of the clouds. She just hoped there wouldn’t be any more storms in the near future.
Chapter End Notes:
im going to try and get the next chapter up in the next few days and it will be more AJ/Ashley time lol it will be interesting :)