- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it took a while but enjoy!
-Four Months Later-

Ashley and Angel sat side by side in a salon reading through magazines as they got their hair done.

“So what are you ladies getting all dolled up for?” The hairdresser who was curling Ashley’s hair asked.

“It’s my birthday.” She smiled a little looking up from her magazine.

“Oh well happy birthday.” She smiled back. “How old are you going to be?”

“Sixteen.”

“Oh well that’s a special year, you having one of those huge blowouts?”

“Nah.” She shrugged. “At first I was going to, but then I realized there weren’t many people that I wanted to invite. No one here in LA really knows the meaning of drama free and I just wanted to have a good day, so I’m just going to dinner with my best friend and keeping it nice and simple.”

“Yeah, it was our resolution to avoid drama at all costs this year.” Angel chimed in.

“Well that’s a good thing. Those big parties are all about showing off anyway. You never really get to enjoy them with all the hoopla.” The older woman blowing out Angel’s hair chimed in. “My daughter had one a few years ago, nothing too extravagant, but she said at the end of it she had so much to do to make sure the night went off perfect that she really forgot to sit back and celebrate.”

“Yeah, it’s better this way.” Ashley smiled as the salon owner’s young daughter approached them and tapped Ashley on the arm. She turned and smiled at her as the girl handed her a flower.

“Aww thanks, is this from you?” she laughed a little.

“The boy told me to give it to you.” She giggled before running back to the front counter.

Ashley smiled as she turned over the small card attached to the rose.

Hey babe, Hope your having a fun day being pampered with Angel. I snuck in and took care of your bill, just one of your presents. I can’t wait to see you later. Love you.

“What’s it say?” Angel asked. Ashley removed the card and passed it over to her so she could read it.

“Whose that from?” her hairdresser asked curiously.

“My boyfriend.” Ashley smiled with a slight blush.

“Aww wanna trade? Ryan is so cute.” Angel laughed handing her the card back.

“No way! He’s all mine.” Ashley laughed.

It took Ashley no time at all after the New Years Eve incident to realize that she didn’t want to give up her relationship with Ryan just because she was scared of being hurt. He had barely even made it home that night when she asked him to come back so she could apologize. Since then their relationship had been going strong and she couldn’t be happier. Of course there were still haters, but she was getting better at ignoring them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So have you gotten any presents from AJ yet?” Angel asked as they girls got dressed back at her house.

“Nope.” She shrugged.

“Do you think he got you a car?”

“I was hoping for one, but my mom was kinda dead set against it, or at least a new one. She gave me a big lecture about how a car is a huge responsibility then she started with the whole statistics show and after that I kind of drowned her out.” Ashley laughed.

“So she doesn’t want you to have a car at all or just not a new one?”

“I don’t know she kept changing her mind First no car then maybe a sued one to get used to. I don’t think she realizes that I drive all the time in Alex’s car. It’s not like I haven’t practiced or passed my test. I think if California says I’m fit to drive that should mean something.” Ashley laughed. I guess sometimes she just doesn’t see that I’m not a little kid anymore.”

“Oh well I’m sure if he didn’t get you a car he’ll get you something good anyway.”

Ashley and Angel had just finished touching up their makeup when the doorbell rang.

”Let the birthday celebration commence.” Angel grinned and slipped on her heels before heading to the door.

“You’re such a cornball sometimes.” Ashley shook her head laughing as she put her own shoes on.

“Hey guys.” Angel smiled and greeted Danny and Ryan at the door.

“Hey babe.” Danny said walking inside followed by Ryan. “You guys ready to go?”

“Just about.” Ashley said smiling walking into the foyer.

“Happy Birthday babe.” Ryan said as he came over to her with one hand behind his back. “You look amazing.” He leaned into to kiss her quickly before revealing a bouquet of pink roses.

A smile crept up on Ashley’s face as she took the flowers from his hand and pulling him into a hug.

“Come into the kitchen with me, let’s put these in water.” She took his hand leading him into the kitchen. She placed the flowers on the counter and wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him into a kiss. “Thank you for earlier.”

“Well worth it. You look great, not like you donE2t always.” He smiled and kissed her back.

“Why are you so amazing?” she smiled at him as he wrapped his arms tighter around her waist.

“I just love to see you smile.” He said and kissed her again. “And you know what else?”

“What?”

“I Love you.” He leaned in and whispered in her ear before pulling her into another kiss.

“Awwww.” Angel said interrupting them from the doorway. “As sickeningly cute as you guys are let’s hurry this up. We’ve got reservations.”

“Love you too.” She mouthed to him with a smile as she pulled her self away from him taking his hand to follow Angel and Danny out of the house.

“I feel kind of bad for leaving Alex at home. He looked upset that I chose to come out with you guys tonight instead of hanging with him.” She said as they got in the car.

“I thought you were having like a family thing next weekend.” Angel said.

“We are, but I dunno I guess he just wanted me to be home tonight.” She shrugged as they pulled off. “So where are we going?”

“You’ll see when we get there.” Angel laughed as Danny pulled onto the main road.

A short while later they pulled into the parking lot of City Walk.

“Now that were here can I know where20we’re going?” Ashley laughed as they got out of the car.

“You can never wait for surprises can you?” Angel shook her head as they headed towards the main entrance and in the direction of the restaurant.

“No, I hate not knowing what’s going on.” She followed them looking around wondering where they were headed.

“If it makes you happy we’re going to that new Mexican place Camacho’s.” Ryan laughed taking her out of her misery.

“Oh really!” she said excitedly.

“Here we are.” Angel said as they got to the front of the restaurant.

Ryan held open the door and everyone walked inside. Angel gave their name to the hostess and she led them towards the back of the restaurant. They rounded a corner and Ashley stood in shock as a large table of her closest friends and family greeted her.

“Surprise!” they all yelled in unison.

“Oh my gosh, what are you guys doing here?” she ran over to greet Denise and a few others she hadn’t seen in a long time.

“Did you really think we would let you not go all out just a little on your birthday?” AJ laughed giving her a hug.

“I can’t believe all you guys are here!” she hugged her uncle and some other family. “When did you get here?”

“Yesterday.” Denise smiled. “We’ve been hiding out.”

“Wow this is so great. I’m so happy you guys are here.” She said excitedly as everyone settled down and took a seat ready to eat and enjoy the night together.

The night went on and everyone enjoyed a great meal. The waiters came out with desert followed by a Mariachi band and everyone joined in singing Ashley ‘Happy Birthday.’ Things were winding down and AJ knew the night would be coming to an end so he knew it was the perfect time to give Ashley her present.

“Can I have everyone’s attention please?” AJ said standing up at the table, once everyone quieted down he continued. “I just wanna thank everyone for coming out tonight to celebrate Ashley’s birthday.”

He smiled over towards the other end of the table where she was seated and waved her over. She made her way to him before he continued.

“Ok so this may sound cheesy but too bad.” He laughed. “I just want to let you know how proud I am of you. When you first moved in with me, I’ll admit it I was scared things wouldn’t work out. I thought after everything we’d been through we would never be able to really get along like we used to. Now I know not everything is perfect, and we still argue like crazy and that that will never change.” He laughed while everyone chuckled. “But I think it’s safe to say we’ve made it through the storm.”

Ashley smiled and nodded in agreement.

“Now mom may kill me for this, but it’s your sixteenth birthday and you beyond deserve it.” He said picking up a small box. “You’ve really turned things around these past eight months and I wanted to get you something that reflected just how proud of you I am.”

Ashley bit her lip in anticipation as he handed her the box. She tore off the wrapping paper and quickly opened the box. She squealed in excitement as she pulled a set of car keys from the box. Under the keys was a folded up paper. She pulled it from the box and unfolded it to reveal a picture of a light pink VW Beetle Convertible.

“Holy crap! Are you serious?” she said excitedly.

“”Like I said, you deserve it.” He smiled as she excitedly hugged him.

“Oh my god it’s perfect! You’re the best!” she said unable to wipe the smile off her face.

“And let me just add I looked pretty damn cool driving that thing home earlier.” He laughed.

“Speech! Speech! Speech!” everyone chanted at Ashley.

She laughed a little and took a breath trying to think of what to say.

“I’m so happy that I’m spending my birthday with all the people I love the most. It means so much that you’re all here with me. You all have been with me thought think and thin and helped me get through some of the worst times in my life. I think I can safely say I have the best support system in the world.” She smiled at everyone and turned her attention to Denise and Alex. “Mom, Alex you’ve seriously the best family I could ever ask for. I know living with e has been nowhere near easy but I’m so glad you guys never gave up on me, even when I wanted to give up on myself.” She took a deep breath and continued. “When my mom died I though I had nothing else to live for, but you guys helped me push though and I don’t think I can ever repay you or be able to show you how much I appreciate all that you’ve done for me.”

She wiped some tears that were falling from her eyes. “Alex, I especially want to thank you. I know you didn’t have to take me in, and I know that it’s been a big change for you, but thanks for giving me a chance. I’m so glad things are back to being good because I don’t know that I would do if I didn’t have you in my life. I love you so much.”

“I love you too kiddo.” He smiled and pulled her into a big hug.

“I might just have to continue on with this little toast we have going.” Denise said smiling at the two. “Ashley you are growing into such a wonderful, talented and intelligent young lady. I am so happy to see you grow and challenge yourself everyday. You’ve been through a lot and I think the testament to just how strong you are is that you’ve pulled through and been able to still find the light at the end of the tunnel. Although I miss having you around I know that you and Alex are helping each other in ways no one else could. I love the both of you so much and am proud to call you my children. You are both inspirations to me and I can’t truly show with words just how proud I am of the both of you. We’ve all come a long way in the past four years and I see nothing but great things for all of us in the future. So with that being said let’s toast.” Denise said holding up her glass with a smile. “Here’s to the future.”

“To the future.” Every joined in.”
Chapter End Notes:
this is the last chapter...next one is a thank you

Please take a moment to review and let me know what you thought about the story! I would really appreciate your overall thoughts on the story :)